Why am I not receiving notifications?

knight1fox3

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
This just recently started happening for me as well. I tried most of the suggestions above including setting some apps to "priority" notifications. I checked "restrict background activity" and it was initially set to on but I switched it back off. And actually, this all started a couple days ago when I used power saving mode. After my phone was charged, coming out of power saving mode I was no longer getting push notifications. But only partially. I still get SMS, email, and Hangout notifications. But for apps like Nest, ESPN, Tapatalk, etc. I no longer do (note, I did not change any settings with those particular app). Has there been a definitive fix for this yet? Does clearing the cache fix this? Having not done that before, I'm reluctant to as I'm not sure how that will affect things. I'm also trying to avoid having to do a factory reset as that also does not seem to be the definitive fix. Any other suggestions/feedback on this would be very much appreciated. I'll continue to research this on my own as well. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

knight1fox3

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone tried removing/reinstalling those apps which they no longer get notifications from? I might give that a try to see if anything changes. I also found this discussion which almost exactly describes the issue I'm currently experiencing: Problem with push notifications / sync not working properly | Brighthand.com - SmartPhone and PDA Discussion
Unfortunately though I do not have root access and therefore cannot clear the Dalvik cache. I think my last available option here is a factory reset. What a pain...

knight1fox3

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
the most common causes are power saving and restriction of background data. also disabling permissions.

Indeed, also my understanding based on the research I've done. But even after disabling any and all power-saving activities, it's as if the permissions never changed and notifications continued to be blocked. Seems to be most prevalent with Android 6.0.

vknightro

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
I tried all of this, I searched other websites and i was on the verge of a factory reset but....

When I went to clear my cache and storage I notice the "Notifications" was turned to "blocked". Switched it back to allowed and voila, it worked.

I hope this helps some of you.

To be clear my process was: Settings>Applications>Applications Manager>Messages>Notifications

This fixed it for me. Thanks so much, I don't know how it got fixed for blocked.

lexizoe58

Oct 1, 2016
Visit site
I feel like they guy in Close Encounters, when no one would listen to his story!!!! .....I have experienced the same with Galaxy 6.. and performed all of the reset, wipe cache, uninstall, reinstall, spin the phone around on top of your head issues that are all mentioned here. The most frustrating thing of all- is that SPRINT and SAMSUNG act like I am crazy and they are shocked at this problem, when they know full well this is a known issue. I am stuck with this phone until end of contract, but assure you that my 10 year voyage with Galaxy is about to end. A shame because my home is a tribute to Samsung in the way of technology. Anyone have any suggestions to an alternate phone for business and personal use, email, and social media use? Not Apple, though.

lucianus_luciferus

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
it is definitely a setting you have changed. if you have done a factory reset and the issue is still present then maybe you should take the phone back.

tferro

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Similar problem for the past month. I have a Note 4. checked everything mentioned in this thread. I get stock app text message notifications only. If I'm watching my Kik app and a message comes in, I can see a quick blink and sound in my notification bar at the top of my phone, but then it goes away completely..... so if I'm not watching my phone, I have no idea that I'm getting a message from Kik. I also no longer get notifications from my devotions app and my kid's school bus notification app. Basically everything but text messaging stopped working. Including Facebook. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling and clearing data and cache. I've checked all power saving options and permissions within the apps not working. I do remember messing around with the power saving at one point so this is probably what started it to begin with. I refuse to do a factory reset. This has got to be fixed somehow. Ridiculous

I tried Hook Alerts as mentioned in a previous post. kept saying couldn't connect and check Internet connection. tried with and without wifi. ������

Last edited by a moderator:

mrs_ames

Dec 9, 2016
Visit site
it is definitely a setting you have changed. if you have done a factory reset and the issue is still present then maybe you should take the phone back.

No its a software issue. Almost every galaxy phone has the same issue until there is a fix.

I guess this is a common issue

I feel like they guy in Close Encounters, when no one would listen to his story!!!! .....I have experienced the same with Galaxy 6.. and performed all of the reset, wipe cache, uninstall, reinstall, spin the phone around on top of your head issues that are all mentioned here. The most frustrating thing of all- is that SPRINT and SAMSUNG act like I am crazy and they are shocked at this problem, when they know full well this is a known issue. I am stuck with this phone until end of contract, but assure you that my 10 year voyage with Galaxy is about to end. A shame because my home is a tribute to Samsung in the way of technology. Anyone have any suggestions to an alternate phone for business and personal use, email, and social media use? Not Apple, though.

Same. I have an s6 with Sprint and nothing worked. Happened 3 days ago out of nowhere. Apparently it is a software issue that we are all stuck with until an update happens with a fix.

Last edited by a moderator:

pcanbrown

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
I recently started having the same problem for a game whose local notifications were being inexplicably blocked on my Galaxy S6 with Android 7.0.
I went through the trouble of factory resetting my device to no avail. Finally, I disabled this newfangled thing called "App Power Monitor" and it worked! Notifications for my game started working again.

Go to Settings -> Device maintenance -> Battery -> Advanced settings (top-right corner) -> App power monitor -> OFF

markymark44716

Nov 24, 2017
Visit site
I had the same issue on my S7. I was not receiving notifications for a long time and noticed it was only when my phone hasn't been awake in a while. If I was just on my phone I would get notifications. I went to settings, then battery, and under the app power settings, there's an always sleeping apps section. I randomly noticed it and saw Clash Royale as one of the options. I deleted it from there and now it works! I must have accidentally hit an option to keep it asleep but not even noticing. Hope that helps!

MissAngela63

Jun 17, 2018
Visit site
I was having the same issue and after trying TONS of fixes and uninstall etc I FINALLY figured out how to fix it! Go to Settings - Notifications (block, allow, prioritize) - Advanced - then find your app that's giving you problems (in my case it was text message notification sounds) - make sure "show silently" is turned OFF. Somehow (have no idea how!) my text message notifications were set to "show silently". Hallelujah! I finally figured it out! Hope this helps someone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800