How is the signal strength and battery life?

lolwut440

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,
I had my iphone 6+ for about a month and while the battery life is stellar (4-6 hours + SOT "usage", 22-26 hours total) the antenna sucks. Absolutely sucks. I'm getting a few dBm difference everywhere if I have my Note 10.1 2014 and 6+ side by side. The worst was when I was getting an oil change. While my G3 would show 2-3 bars of LTE the iPhone 6+ only got 2 bars of HSPA, 1 bar of LTE "at times" and HSPA was hardly usable. HSPA was actually usable on the G3. I think this is pounding the nail in the coffin, as much as I enjoy my 6+ this is absolutely unacceptable.

So I'm thinking about hopping back to Android (thank goodness for Jump on Demand) and looking at the S6, esp. since T-Mobile is selling the 128GB for the 64GB price. How is the cellular reception on this thing? What battery life do you see on your phones? I have heard of terrible battery life, but then again what phones don't come with battery life complaints?

I just want something with better battery than the G3 had. G3 I would get around 1-1.5 hours SOT with maybe 16 hours standby and could drain it using it for 3-3.5 hours straight.

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,
I had my iphone 6+ for about a month and while the battery life is stellar (4-6 hours + SOT "usage", 22-26 hours total) the antenna sucks. Absolutely sucks. I'm getting a few dBm difference everywhere if I have my Note 10.1 2014 and 6+ side by side. The worst was when I was getting an oil change. While my G3 would show 2-3 bars of LTE the iPhone 6+ only got 2 bars of HSPA, 1 bar of LTE "at times" and HSPA was hardly usable. HSPA was actually usable on the G3. I think this is pounding the nail in the coffin, as much as I enjoy my 6+ this is absolutely unacceptable.

So I'm thinking about hopping back to Android (thank goodness for Jump on Demand) and looking at the S6, esp. since T-Mobile is selling the 128GB for the 64GB price. How is the cellular reception on this thing? What battery life do you see on your phones? I have heard of terrible battery life, but then again what phones don't come with battery life complaints?

I just want something with better battery than the G3 had. G3 I would get around 1-1.5 hours SOT with maybe 16 hours standby and could drain it using it for 3-3.5 hours straight.

Signal strength on my non carrier branded S6 duos is great and so is battery life. But for a carrier branded S6 battery life in general is all over the map, I don't think you will know what you will get until you actually have it in hand and using it as it varies by user.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I have found my S6 to have noticeably better reception than the 6+ in my testing. In some cases the S6 would be sitting with LTE comfortably while the 6+ would be on HSPA.

While the reception is better on the S6, the battery life on the 6+ will undoubtedly be better, standby time is noticeably better and under consistent use the 6+ will last longer.

With WiFi only usage, I get about 5 to 6 hours of screen on time. With mixed LTE and WiFi usage, that number drops to about 2-4 hours depending on signal strength.

lolwut440

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your replies everyone. I'm about to head out to get the S6.

I have found my S6 to have noticeably better reception than the 6+ in my testing. In some cases the S6 would be sitting with LTE comfortably while the 6+ would be on HSPA.

While the reception is better on the S6, the battery life on the 6+ will undoubtedly be better, standby time is noticeably better and under consistent use the 6+ will last longer.

With WiFi only usage, I get about 5 to 6 hours of screen on time. With mixed LTE and WiFi usage, that number drops to about 2-4 hours depending on signal strength.

I think I am okay with that. I think I can live with that because the S6 comes with fast charging now. T-Mobile is spotty at times as is when inside buildings, the 6+ will just exacerbate the situation unnecessarily. I really do like the iPhone 6+. It's just a damn shame how the antenna is bad. I'm going to walk into my T-Mobile store and check out the freq bands to make sure I'm not hallucinating. But it's ridiculous when I have a signal booster sitting right next to me and the iPhone reads -95dBm and my tablet reads -90dBm.

UPDATE: Unfortunately could not score a 128GB S6, so the hunt is on tomorrow. For reference, in the store my iPhone 6+ was getting -82dBm while the S6 was getting -73.... so yeah....

Last edited: