Greatly considering the S6, but still unsure whether to go through with it

Lochtide7

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi there! I am in search of a new cell phone, along with a new cell phone plan. Any ways, S6 has been on the top of my list for a while now, and I'm ready to buy the new phone in a few days. The issue comes that I am a little bit uncertain, after reading two S6 subforums, and a few "3 month after S6 purchase reviews" I have started to become apprehensive about buying the phone - due to the basic things like buggy software, phone becoming sluggish after a while, over heating, touch wiz issues etc. I totally understand that the S6 is a beautiful phone - best screen, best camera etc.

Just yesterday, doing some research I understand that a few new "less expensive but great" phones will be released - namely the Moto X style, Oneplus 2, and the nexus 5 2015. So, watching a few videos on these phones and checking their specs, they look quite nice as well, especially given the lesser bloatware, closer to stock android feel, etc. But these phones will be about $380! (when ordering from their website).

So, basically what I'm in conflict about is that I can get an S6 with a new plan for about $190! - which is not a bad price at all, but I am asking for your experience with the S6 - do you feel I should wait for one of these new phones to release? are the issues with the S6 just a little too much? would I regret getting the S6 eventually due to some annoying, but minor issues? what would you do in my shoes?

thanks so much for the help!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I can't speak for the S6 because I haven't used it much, but I've seen it and it's great. I personally love my Note 4, and it's a similar experience albeit a non-removable battery. If I were to recommend a non-Samsung phone at this point it would be the LG G4.

That being said, I'd wait three days. Samsung is set to unveil the S6+ and Note 5 on Aug 13, so that usually means flash sales, slashed prices, etc. on older models and good deals on pre-orders for the new ones (although rumors claim that the S6+ could even be available that very day).

Saros

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
are the issues with the S6 just a little too much?

Hi, welcome to the forums.

First and foremost, I would just ensure the S6 is a proper match for your expectations. For example, if you're a heavy user expecting to see 8+ hours of screen-on time from a single charge, it's probably not going to happen. For most users that seems to be the primary gripe about the S6 -- personally I've had no trouble getting 5-6 hours of SOT over 24+ hour cycles, and for my needs that's more than adequate. Even if it's at the expense of battery life, the quality of the display on the S6 is just stunning, so that's a sacrifice I'll happily make.

As for the other issues you've described, the only variety I've experienced aren't even S6-specific, but from Lollipop itself. I've had the phone since launch day and haven't suffered any lag/sluggishness or performance issues. Never had any problems with TouchWiz, either -- this incarnation is probably the best to date (it's really quite decent) but I've still replaced it with Nova Prime simply because I'm a customization addict.

I personally prefer the S6 to the other phones you mentioned even at the expense of having to disable/uninstall some bloat, but ultimately you know best what will suit your needs and budget.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
If battery life is of concern, don't get it unless your a moderate to light user. If you don't really care about batt life and glass is your thing, then by all means get it.

Posted via the Android Central App

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
personally, I'd wait to see what the new Moto X's are all about when they release. However, I do love my GS6 but the battery life and the times when the phone just decides it's time to turn into a lag monster have me wanting more. If you do get the GS6, don't buy it new at these prices. They'll likely be slashing prices soon. You're better off getting a good, used on on Swappa.com

anon(9099462)

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
The thing about asking this sorts of questions could honestly make your decision more difficult simply because people who own the Galaxy S6 have had different experiences with battery life, lag, and other issues. And while some have been getting 2 hours of on screen time with their S6 others have been getting 5-6 some even a bit more. Lag some claim is the TouchWiz interface and other's think is Lollipop causing the issue. But again carriers also release different updates with different fixes, so while someone on AT&T is not experiencing any problems, someone with Sprint or Verizon might be. The thing is you have to know what you want out of the phone, if you want a good camera that takes good pictures then the Galaxy S6 and the LG G4 are great for that. If you're more of a power user and need more battery use and still want good battery life then you might want to look into getting a phone like the Note 4 or even the Note 5 perhaps. If Stock Android is more of your thing then either the Nexus line or perhaps the new Moto X's phones coming out, see I like what Motorola has done with their phones and what they are going to do with future updates because that means no more having to wait for the carriers to release the update, I wish Samsung, LG, HTC and other Android manufacturers got on the same boat, especially now with carriers like Verizon dishing contracts and making customers pay full price for the phone, I wouldn't be surprised seeing other carriers following soon after, so I guess what I'm trying to say here is not to rush into any conclusions and really spend time looking into what you really want out of your phone.

I personally have not had any issues with my Galaxy S6 with lag, or battery life at all, I of course don't download a whole bunch of apps and fill my phone with apps I don't use on a day to day basis. I do like to customize my phone and change icons and all that, but I also like to add apps that add more functionality to my phone. At first battery life on the S6 wasn't the best, but after the Android 5.1.1 update and an update after that released by Sprint with bug fixes battery life has been very good. I haven't experienced any lag what so ever and the fact that I have my work the way I want it to work for me tells me that I made the best choice with this one, but again knowing what you want in a phone makes your decision making much easier.

Whether you want a good camera, or a phone that is listening to you the whole time and you can wake up with your voice any time like the Moto X or if you're the kind of person that always needs to have pen and paper but doesn't want all the clutter left behind then maybe the Galaxy Note line would be better for you. Battery life a big must for you then a phone with a big battery would be your best choice. The only way you'll be satisfied is by finding out which phone has the best features that you want and go for it.

Don't be like Sheldon Cooper from "The Big Bang Theory" when he's trying to make the decision of buying either the PS4 or the Xbox One, LOL!!

I don't know how soon you're planning on buying your new phone but if you're not in a rush wait a few more days or weeks and see what else comes out because the season of newly released phones is just around the corner, you might have the S6 in your hands but then the Moto X goes on sale you play around with it at a store and then you may prefer that phone over the S6.

I'd say wait a few more days.

Lochtide7

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
thank you so much guys, that feed back makes a big difference. A few people in the local store today said they also had no problems with their S6. I feel like a few have mentioned here, perhaps I will wait a bit more, few weeks or a month or so, to see if any new deals or phones come out.

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
S6 pros - unbelievable display, best camera, super quick charge, nice size, really great internal audio, zero lag, theme store, looks.

S6 cons - small battery / crap battery optimization, phone and WiFi antennas are not the best, RAM issue, camera hump, external speakers.

dreaming of electric sheep

Last edited:

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Would the Note 4 still be considered a premium devoice when the Note 5 comes out? Would it be a good buy if it is discounted heavily?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Would the Note 4 still be considered a premium devoice when the Note 5 comes out? Would it be a good buy if it is discounted heavily?

Yes, the Note 4 will still be a Premium device, and it should still hold up to current devices for at least another year.

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Wait 8 months and get the S7. All kinds of guesses out there on features, but betting it will have a faster CPU, more RAM, more and faster flash, larger battery, and some type of screen improvement.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
thank you so much guys, that feed back makes a big difference. A few people in the local store today said they also had no problems with their S6. I feel like a few have mentioned here, perhaps I will wait a bit more, few weeks or a month or so, to see if any new deals or phones come out.

Are you in the USA? The reason I ask is that the carrier's there seem to add a lot of their own software which spoils the user experience. In the UK this generally doesn't happen and there are a lot more happy people over this side of the pond percentage wise.

People tend to blame the phone and lollipop when it is generally the fault of Verizon, Sprint and AT&T and what they do to the phone.

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.

Saros

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Would the Note 4 still be considered a premium devoice when the Note 5 comes out?

You've posted previously that you're dissatisfied with battery life on your S6, but what else is fueling your desire to switch? What exactly are your needs? How much daily usage time are you expecting?

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I used mine for web browsing, watching videos mostly. This morning I woke up and my battery was 78 percent. I laid it on my wireless charger and when I went to bed it was around 93 percent charged and down to 78 percent about 8 hours later.

Lochtide7

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
Are you in the USA? The reason I ask is that the carrier's there seem to add a lot of their own software which spoils the user experience. In the UK this generally doesn't happen and there are a lot more happy people over this side of the pond percentage wise.

People tend to blame the phone and lollipop when it is generally the fault of Verizon, Sprint and AT&T and what they do to the phone.

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.
nope, I am in Canada actually, no idea how much bloatware Bell would add to the S6

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
My Rogers S6 has very minimal bloatware, I think 4 apps total they added...they rest are S6 related bloat.

Posted via the Android Central App

Saros

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
I used mine for web browsing, watching videos mostly. This morning I woke up and my battery was 78 percent. I laid it on my wireless charger and when I went to bed it was around 93 percent charged and down to 78 percent about 8 hours later.

Was something left running, consuming the battery?

I typically lose 2% overnight.