Greatly considering the S6, but still unsure whether to go through with it

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I used mine for web browsing, watching videos mostly. This morning I woke up and my battery was 78 percent. I laid it on my wireless charger and when I went to bed it was around 93 percent charged and down to 78 percent about 8 hours later.

Have you tried charging it using a regular adapter and cable instead of the wireless pad?

Just asking because you wouldn't be the first nor the last that the wireless charger is either not charging completely or simply charge it to full but then begin discharging, I know it won't explain why even if it's that it's still discharging so much overnight, but in my line of work you learn to begin to do things one by one when trying to troubleshoot something.

For last, let your battery discharge to at least 10%, then turn it off and enter into recovery mode and do a Wipe cache Partition, then reboot and let it charge to 100%, use the fast charging so you can have it charged before you go to bed, then let it in airplane mode overnight, it should stay at mostly the same battery life or discharge 1 or 2 % at most, then you'd know that is related to your cell or wifi signal.

Like I said before, do one thing at a time so you can try to pinpoint the culprit easier, but as you can see you have a lot of things that you can try.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried charging it using a regular adapter and cable instead of the wireless pad?

Just asking because you wouldn't be the first nor the last that the wireless charger is either not charging completely or simply charge it to full but then begin discharging, I know it won't explain why even if it's that it's still discharging so much overnight, but in my line of work you learn to begin to do things one by one when trying to troubleshoot something.

For last, let your battery discharge to at least 10%, then turn it off and enter into recovery mode and do a Wipe cache Partition, then reboot and let it charge to 100%, use the fast charging so you can have it charged before you go to bed, then let it in airplane mode overnight, it should stay at mostly the same battery life or discharge 1 or 2 % at most, then you'd know that is related to your cell or wifi signal.

Like I said before, do one thing at a time so you can try to pinpoint the culprit easier, but as you can see you have a lot of things that you can try.

I have one of those weather radar apps. Can that be a factor? Im trying the cable charger again. I have the OED pad that shuts off when it reaches 100 percent so maybe the battery is draining once it's charge but not all nights it's that low. Either way my S5 was not like this.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I have one of those weather radar apps. Can that be a factor? Im trying the cable charger again. I have the OED pad that shuts off when it reaches 100 percent so maybe the battery is draining once it's charge but not all nights it's that low. Either way my S5 was not like this.

Anything can be a factor, you'll need to try removing that and see. But try my above suggestions first, that will give you a better idea of what can be your issue.

I know everybody's usage is different, but I can tell you by experience, the S5 battery was good, but S6 is better, very close or a little better, but definitely not worst than the S5. I've set and used all my phones the same for the past couple of years, so that gives me a better constant comparrison for battery life (No matter what others say, what better comparison than to set and use the phones the same and used by the same person?)

Leaving your phone in Airplane mode will shutdown the phone's radios but you should definitely look for any rogue apps that are keeping your phone awake.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I used mine for web browsing, watching videos mostly. This morning I woke up and my battery was 78 percent. I laid it on my wireless charger and when I went to bed it was around 93 percent charged and down to 78 percent about 8 hours later.

Other thing I've seen before is that for some reason (maybe position on the pad) the phone keeps beginning to charge then pauses then keeps charging and pausing for hours, that can easily explains why it was at 93% then when you woke it was at 78%, it may have never charged, believe me it happened to me once work my S6 Edge, I noticed that it wasn't placed even on the pad so it was charging and pausing for hours 6 hours later I woke up to see that it hadn't charged and I saw when in a minute it began charging and then paused about 3 times

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm on my 4th S6, 3 camera issues and this one the glass is separating from the frame, so I will soon be on my 5th S6. With that being said, I still love this phone, I'm just getting tired of dealing with starting over. If I had an S6 with no hardware issues (all my issues have been hardware related) I'd have no problems recommending the S6. Hope that helps, clear as mud I'm sure. Haha.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded to an AT&T S6 earlier this year when they launched, and I love my smartphone. I've had no issues with it. The camera is great, as well as the beautiful hi-res screen. I've made a few tweaks to the settings which have increased the graphics performance and battery life. In all, I'm very glad to have bought this phone and would buy it again if I lost or broke this one.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Some say on here even the Note 2 is still a powerful device.

It is... if you don't compare it with the rest. I've used a Note 2 a couple months ago (and I owned one when it came out). It's still great, if it was still 2012. Now it's comparable to mid-to-low rangers probably, and some are even faster because of optimizations like the MotoX or MotoG

jickey

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
My experience so far:

This household is totally Apple with the exception of my work computer. I had an iPhone 5s and really liked iOS and the hardware. I moved to Apple when the 4s was introduced, having come from the HTC EVO 4G with Sprint. I hated Sprint and their 4G service area was beyond terrible. The iPhone gave me a good reason to go to Verizon. So...I've been due an upgrade for a while and was waiting on the iPhone 6s this fall, but had always had the S6 in the back of my mind. I read here and elsewhere and researched and researched and finally bit the bullet and got my S6 last Friday - mainly because my company would let me exchange it within 30 days if I didn't like it. I had forgotten how much of a delight Android was. The customizations are endless and the phone is set up like I want it to be. And widgets...on man, how I've missed widgets (and before anyone says it, iOS widgets just didn't do it for me.) I've already decided I won't exchange. So here are my pros and cons:

PROS
- Customization!
- All my apps are still there, and even some better ones.
- Wireless charging!
- Google Now!
- Fast charging
- Notifications
- Camera quality
- Hardware - it's beautiful
- Phone function controls - swipe down to turn on/off things you don't need.
- Gorgeous screen

CONS
- Battery life is a little shorter than the iPhone was. It may end up being a problem, but I'm not sure. I tend to take a Mophie powerstation with me when I think I'm going to need it, so I've got at least another full charge in reserve.
- The phone heats up during heavy use - but then again, the iPhone heats up too.
- Lag - I've only experienced lag with Message+. I switched to Textra and it's scorching fast
- Coming from the iPhone 5s, it's hard to get used to the larger size. I have pretty bad carpal tunnel and can't seem to operate it with one hand as I'm accustomed to.
- Again with the size - it doesn't fit nicely into my Jeep console like the iPhone did :)
- And once again - it feels much different in my pocket.
- I can't find root for my version yet, and I'm not even sure if I want to root it. Definitely don't think I want to switch ROMs because Nova Prime is pretty sweet. Thinking back, Cyanogenmod was the only ROM worth considering when I had Android before.

Those are thoughts after just 4 total days of having it. I'd say go for it, especially if your carrier has an exchange policy.

Lochtide7

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
Thanks again for all the info guys!

I have to consider now that I can get the S6 for about $200, but getting the oneplus2 or the next google Nexus would be at least $500canadian!

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi there! I am in search of a new cell phone, along with a new cell phone plan. Any ways, S6 has been on the top of my list for a while now, and I'm ready to buy the new phone in a few days. The issue comes that I am a little bit uncertain, after reading two S6 subforums, and a few "3 month after S6 purchase reviews" I have started to become apprehensive about buying the phone - due to the basic things like buggy software, phone becoming sluggish after a while, over heating, touch wiz issues etc. I totally understand that the S6 is a beautiful phone - best screen, best camera etc.

Just yesterday, doing some research I understand that a few new "less expensive but great" phones will be released - namely the Moto X style, Oneplus 2, and the nexus 5 2015. So, watching a few videos on these phones and checking their specs, they look quite nice as well, especially given the lesser bloatware, closer to stock android feel, etc. But these phones will be about $380! (when ordering from their website).

So, basically what I'm in conflict about is that I can get an S6 with a new plan for about $190! - which is not a bad price at all, but I am asking for your experience with the S6 - do you feel I should wait for one of these new phones to release? are the issues with the S6 just a little too much? would I regret getting the S6 eventually due to some annoying, but minor issues? what would you do in my shoes?

thanks so much for the help!

this phone has been terrible. i've had it since mid-april and am planning to switch phones immediately once an opportune moment arises.

ignore the bloated 'specs' you see about this phone. outside of the nice camera, the performance is negligible compared to any other modern phone. 3gb is meaningless since the phone doesn't even act like it has any ram at all.

anon(8410015)

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I went from an iPhone 6 to a Galaxy S6 and the performance is no where near as smooth.. I'm thinking when the Nexus comes out I might sell the S6 and the iPhone 6 to cover the cost.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Do you think the LG G4 and the Note 4 are better than the S6? Tmobile has great deal on G4 right now but the specs are not as good except for the camera.

Would you consider the Note 4 better than an S6?

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I went from an iPhone 6 to a Galaxy S6 and the performance is no where near as smooth.. I'm thinking when the Nexus comes out I might sell the S6 and the iPhone 6 to cover the cost.
Funny you say that. I came from an iPhone to a S6 and I think the opposite. I love the S6 and never plan on going back to an iPhone. I guess it all comes down to personal preference ;)

Samsung Galaxy S6 - Black - 32GB
Spigen Ultra Hybrid

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Wait 8 months and get the S7. All kinds of guesses out there on features, but betting it will have a faster CPU, more RAM, more and faster flash, larger battery, and some type of screen improvement.

Trust me. I'm already dreaming about the S7 lol

The S6 is the perfect device except for the battery life. Even a Samsung representative I spoke to on the phone the other day agreed it probably wasn't the smartest idea to put such a small battery into a phone with a quad HD display. Hopefully this means the upcoming S7 will have a larger battery. With my phone company I can trade in my phone at 12 months of my contract and pay $150 to get a new phone. My iPhone is a six plus so I wouldn't be looking to trade it in until at least the seven comes out so if the battery is larger on the S7 I'll be getting it. If not I'll forget about it

anon(8410015)

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Funny you say that. I came from an iPhone to a S6 and I think the opposite. I love the S6 and never plan on going back to an iPhone. I guess it all comes down to personal preference ;)

Samsung Galaxy S6 - Black - 32GB
Spigen Ultra Hybrid

I cleared the cache last night and it seems to be running more smoothly and my battery is MUCH better today. For me this has nothing to do with personal preference as I am not a fanboy on either side, just stating my experience so far.

Dysfunctional

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
My only gripe beside battery life is you can't talk and surf at same time over data.

Other than that it's been great

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

timdsmith72

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
My only gripe beside battery life is you can't talk and surf at same time over data.
Other than that it's been great
Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Depends on your carrier. Verizon no. Unless you have HD voice (I think that's what it's called) on. Sprint, no. I'm on AT&T and I can surf all I want while talking. Not sure about T-Mobile.

johnmcc0710

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
My only complaint is the battery. I called AT&T and they tested the battery remotely and the tech even said the battery life was an issue on it. Oh well!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy