Google Voice Mailbox Not Set Up Yet Error

mjb0002

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

Someone called me recently and later messaged me saying they got a "This person does not have a google voice mail box set up yet" error. I have been using Google Voice for a while now, and I still see all of my old voicemails on the screen. I am not sure when the issue began, but it is also happening the other S6 on our plan. I did not have any issues before. I tried uninstalling and re-installing, but no change.

Only thing I have changed recently is activating Verizon Advanced Calling. When I set up Google Voice, I selected do not use GV to make calls, so I did not think that has an impact. Anyone having this issue or know of any fixes? Thanks!

njperry

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
For anyone else who lands here from a future Google search, I found the answer in a Verizon thread, of all places: https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/858976?start=10&tstart=0

Basically, I had to deactivate GV voicemail, then Activate it:

At the Google Voice website for your GVoice account, pull down the Gear Tab (Upper Right), (If on the new GV site, click the menu at top left, then click the option for "Legacy Google Voice"),
Go to Settings and click on the Phones Tab... Go to your Android (or iPhone, I guess) number, mine says "Verizon" as the device.
Next to the Edit / Delete Buttons, Click on "Activate Google Voicemail on this phone"
Follow the instructions in the pop-up window, basically "dial": *71 plus your GVoice number and press call, just like you were making a call with that number. See pic of pop-up window
Now it worked for me!!