Whenever I'm at school my battery drains exponentially. Today I was writing a final exam and had my phone in my bag for 3 hours, in that time the battery dropped from 80% to 45%. I don't think my signal is the problem because I have 3-4 bars of lte at all times when I'm at school. As for optimizations I'm doing most of the tips erasat provided in his thread. I am connected to wifi too. The battery stats on the phone doesn't show anything is draining my battery. What could be the culprit?

Also this only happens when I'm at school not anywhere else.

PS. This has been going on ever since I got my s6 (3 months).

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-15-2015 11:59 PM
    It's the signal. You might be seeing 4 bars on your screen, but in reality your phone might be working really hard switching between towers or trying to catch signal through extra layers of concrete. Those signal bars are very unreliable.
    B. Diddy and drone3 like this.
    08-16-2015 01:33 AM
    Just to be sure, can you charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between and then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
    2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
    3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
    4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).
    08-16-2015 01:36 AM
    Run LTE Discovery and see what the actual signal strength is (the number of bars is meaningless - it's not calibrated to anything).
    08-16-2015 03:31 AM
    So my semester did just end so I won't be in school until the next semester starts. I pretty much won't be able to do any tests until then so I guess this is great can go on "standby" until then :P

08-16-2015 08:12 AM
    So my semester did just end so I won't be in school until the next semester starts. I pretty much won't be able to do any tests until then so I guess this is great can go on "standby" until then :P

Or you can rule out other causes in the meantime by doing what B.Diddy suggests.
    08-16-2015 12:26 PM
    If your school is like my school and uses heavy encryption and security with their WiFi Network, your battery life will be dramatically shorter than normal.

If I leave my phone on mobile data, I can make it back from school with only maybe a 15-20% loss. The moment I stay connected to the schools WiFi, I leave school with nearly a 50% drop.

Try it out one day. I'm not sure at this point what solution there is besides not using the schools WiFi but through my testing it's the only thing that consistently wrecks my battery and GSAM confirms it.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    08-16-2015 03:51 PM
    If your school is like my school and uses heavy encryption and security with their WiFi Network, your battery life will be dramatically shorter than normal.

If I leave my phone on mobile data, I can make it back from school with only maybe a 15-20% loss. The moment I stay connected to the schools WiFi, I leave school with nearly a 50% drop.

Try it out one day. I'm not sure at this point what solution there is besides not using the schools WiFi but through my testing it's the only thing that consistently wrecks my battery and GSAM confirms it.

Actually I did try not using WiFi once when I was at school and the drain was still there. After my one hour lecture of not using my phone it dropped around 6 -8%. The phone was just on standby (3-4 bars lte). However this was only one time so I need to try a couple more times before I give a definite answer. I think maybe it is because of the mobile connection having to go through concrete as a previous member mentioned.

08-16-2015 05:36 PM
    It's the signal. You might be seeing 4 bars on your screen, but in reality your phone might be working really hard switching between towers or trying to catch signal through extra layers of concrete. Those signal bars are very unreliable.
    Here is a picture of one of my schools lecture halls I pulled off of Google. Do you think the concrete on the ceiling and walls here are the reason to my battery drain? I haven't seen my phone switch between 4g and lte, its always showing lte on the top and always with 3-4 bars :O

Attached Thumbnails battery drain in specific locations-206.jpg  
    08-16-2015 05:39 PM
    Here is a picture of one of my schools lecture halls I pulled off of Google. Do you think the concrete on the ceiling and walls here are the reason to my battery drain? I haven't seen my phone switch between 4g and lte, its always showing lte on the top and always with 3-4 bars :O

It could be related to signal strength, my school is also a concrete fortress which has many dead zones and even then I lose less battery on mobile data than on WiFi. It's an interesting predicament given you experience pretty strong signal.

Have you tried putting your phone in Airplane mode while at school? This would turn off the phones radios and if your drain is truly related to the signal strength, you would experience significantly less drain than usual.

08-16-2015 09:35 PM