[HELP] S6 cpu getting too hot too quick(overheating?). Return Warranty almost over!

Mojtaba Reza

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
warning: block of text coming but I would really appreciate the help

Hello everyone. I got the Samsung Galaxy S6 with a subscription with KPN Provider. This was almost 3 weeks ago. I received my new S6 within days but the phone was getting too hot too quickly for my taste. For simple things such as updating, browsing. Also when I played the game **removed by moderator** to capture the screen so I could broadcast my gameplay through Twitch the phone would reboot automatically very quickly. This happened multiple times and I never even got a warning that the phone was getting too hot. After checking on this forum and other websites I thought my phone was defect so I sent it back and waited for a new one. The phone they sent me after a week was exactly the same one I sent them. It was apparently a "technical mistake" and I had to send it back again so I could get a new one this time. The new phone arrived this last Thursday and immediately it became obvious that this phone suffered from the same "defect". Now though I'm not too sure if it's defect or if every Samsung Galaxy S6 is like this. So I've been keeping track of almost everything. Here is the block of text that goes with it and the screenshots I took. Please Help me because I only have 4 days before I can't send the phone back for a new one. I'm still testing because unfortunately I got sick the past few days. If you need anymore info to be able to help me just let me know.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Overheating problem or not? can't post pictures but I can send the imgur link through pm if needed
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Samsung Galaxy S6 128gb White Edition. Firmware 5.0.2 updated to 5.1.1 XEH version from Hungary.

It came with Firmware 5.0.2 and the first thing I did was update it to 5.1.1 through Samsung Smart Switch. Afterwards I wiped the Cache Partition and Reset the phone. I haven't changed anything yet from the System Settings or whatever. Location is turned off though and so is Screen Rotation. No Sim Card in the phone yet.
CPU Temperature. Seems to always be on the hot side even when doing little. I'm using two different apps and they seem to be giving conflicting CPU temperatures.
Right after updating the phone and then resetting it. On start up with nothing else on except for Play Story and downloading CPU Z, the app showed that the CPU was around 54.0 Celsius (1). Cooler Master indicates around 33.0 C.
Updating apps through play store made the CPU immediately go to 79.0 Celsius(2) and has been fluctuating in the meantime between 60.0 and 79.0 Celsius(2). The phone is hot to the touch especially the right side although it's not as if it's impossible to hold the phone. Cooler Master indicates a temperature of 36.2 C (3) and it's indicating that CPU Z is one of the causes of overheating.
It seems as if it's not the download per se that makes the CPU hot but the installing or updating of the Apps itself.
After all of this I decided to restart the phone and just leave it alone for 2 hours. After 2 hours battery was at 15% and the CPU temperature was according to CPU Z 34.0 C (4)and according to Cooler Master 25.6 C (5). The phone felt completely cool to the touch.
I started to charge the phone using the adaptive fast charger and the cable provided. I checked the phone after 30 minutes and the phone was again warm to the touch. CPU Z indicated a temperature of 54.0 C (6), unfortunately I forgot to check Cooler Master. The phone had by that point charged to 55%.
I left the phone to continue charging again until 21:11. By that time the phone was fully charged. The temperature of the phone was 44.0 C (CPU Z ) (7) and 25.9 C (8) (Cooler Master). The phone itself felt completely cold to the touch.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I actually left the phone alone for 3 days in it's box turned on and untouched because I got sick. The battery went from 100% to 93%. The phone was completely cool to the touch.
First thing I did was check CPU Z and the temperature was 32.0 C (9) and Cooler Master indicated 23.7 C (10).
I saw that there were 9 updates available so I updated them all. When the updates were halfway done Cooler master indicated 26.3 C (11) and CPU Z 74.0 C (12)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will update this with info of the phone and its temperature when I'm playing the game ** removed by moderator**.

Last edited by a moderator:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

The issue appears to be related to the game. Specifically, it's hardware intensive and the device needs to work harder to run the game. It's not uncommon for similarly designed games. I'd suggest letting the device rest after extended time playing to allow it to cool down.

Mojtaba Reza

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

The issue appears to be related to the game. Specifically, it's hardware intensive and the device needs to work harder to run the game. It's not uncommon for similarly designed games. I'd suggest letting the device rest after extended time playing to allow it to cool down.

Hey, thanks for the welcome and reply.

What about the temperature of the phone when I'm dowloading an app or updating apps. Isn't it too high? not sure but with my S4 especially when it was new I never noticed it getting hotter at all when I downloaded some apps or updated them.

So I understand the that the game is intensive but last time the phone just shut down within 15 minutes of playing. I just played for an hour straight so I could test the temperature. I was surprised, it got warmer but not hot.

I made sure to have my hands all over the phone so I could always be aware of the heat. It was just warm to the touch. At the end I checked the monitor apps and they CPU Z and Toolbox gave around 57-61 C and Cool Master around 33.5 C.

I don't know why it was normal this time. I will now let it sit there for a half hour and then test it while having mobizen on and streaming to twitch through my laptop.

Btw the reason why I'm so dead set on making sure the phone can handle the game and streaming is because I actually bought the phone with the intention of being able to play this game and then be able to stream it. I managed it on S4 with some lag and I thought the S6 could easily do it as well. I know the Iphone can do it easily without even having to turn SFX off which i have to do to play it without LAG. I think that's because the Samsung Galaxy has too high of a resolution/DPI.

Mojtaba Reza

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
Ok, so I just spent an 1,5 hour playing the game and broadcasting the gameplay. I am again surprised. I mean I'm also happy but it's really strange that suddenly now it's working pretty good.

The phone got warm but I wouldn't say hot or annoying to touch really. The hottest part of the phone was right above the Power button.

The phone stayed around 68.0 C this time with some spikes to 74 but only 3 times. I took a screenshot but I can't link it.

The game lagged a couple of times but this might have also been because of Wifi and it wasn't really that noticable.

As soon as I stopped the phone got really cool again within 5 - 10 min.

I'm off to test the japanese version of the game. I'm really happy right now guys! :)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
It's a little odd that you are having those issues. However, if the problems seem to have gone away then there's nothing to worry about. Enjoy the device and game(s) you are playing.

Mojtaba Reza

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
It's a little odd that you are having those issues. However, if the problems seem to have gone away then there's nothing to worry about. Enjoy the device and game(s) you are playing.

I saw someone on XDA post a similar problem and question but they also tested their phone with Antatu Benchmark. Their phone got up to 86.0 C.

So I immediately tested mine as well and it got to 84.0 C twice, once when it was testing my CPU to it's fullest and once when it was testing game performance.

So I was wondering if you could run the test as well and tell me what temperature you got so I can compare. Thanks

I did some more tests.

I watched a youtube video for 23 minutes and the temperature stayed around 39.0 C - 43.0 C.

Browsing/general multitasking. So I tested having 6 apps on and Chrome having 5 tabs on. If I switch really fast between the apps the temperature gets up to 61.0 C but only stays like that for seconds and immediately goes back to 40-45.0 C. That's also the temperature the phone runs when I browse on Chrome, Facebook while having the other apps on as well.

I've been testing some more by playing the game and streaming it and the CPU stays almost exclusively under 70.0 C, around 65.0 C with some spikes to 73.0 C.

I transferred 10 screenshots from one map to another using the native folder app a couple of times. It got up to 67.0 C one time and the rest of the time it got up to 60.0 C.

It spikes to over 71.0 C for a second when it installs a new app

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance