annoying pop ups in Chrome and redirects to the play store

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
A few weeks ago I started to get these annoying virus like pop ups at random times. It's usually when I unlock my phone. It will open to chrome to a Web page that looks like Facebook saying I won a prize. The latest Web page is androidmax.mobi. The Web pages change from time to time but always end with .mobi. I Googled for a fix but can't find anything. It also at other times when I unlock or just random times open the play store to different games. This is extremely annoying. I haven't installed any new apps lately either but to just be safe I've deleted everything I've downloaded in the past couple months and still comes up. I've cleared cache and data on the play store and chrome too. It seems to stop for a few hours but always comes back. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ian Morgan2

May 27, 2015
Visit site
Might be worth thinking about installing an A/V scanner.....Have a look at the" Read More" for the Trend Micro Dr Safety app on the Play Store.....detects, removes and protects against all kinds of scams and threats....and yet is very easy to use.
Hope it helps..........

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Might be worth thinking about installing an A/V scanner.....Have a look at the" Read More" for the Trend Micro Dr Safety app on the Play Store.....detects, removes and protects against all kinds of scams and threats....and yet is very easy to use.
Hope it helps..........

I've tried about 10 different virus scanners and they found nothing. I'll try the one you mentioned. Thanks.

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hope it helps..........

Tried it and it found nothing. Just got this pop up on chrome when I unlocked my phone. It also vibrates when it pops up.

Attachments

• 8682.jpg
    8682.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 104

Ian Morgan2

May 27, 2015
Visit site
If you go to Settings in Chrome....then Site settings....then check All sites at the top, and Storage at the bottom....do you notice any discrepancies...strange addresses ? Have you got Cookies set to allow no third party ?
Another thing to try.....you could try downloading Beta or Dev Chrome.....one or the other can be run alongside Chrome Stable: see if the problem still manifests itself.....I've run the Dev from first release......in fact I havn't got any history/storage data in Chrome Stable.....I've had a couple of good cleaners in since I got the phone !

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
If you go to Settings in Chrome....then Site settings....then check All sites at the top, and Storage at the bottom....do you notice any discrepancies...strange addresses ? Have you got Cookies set to allow no third party ?
Another thing to try.....you could try downloading Beta or Dev Chrome.....one or the other can be run alongside Chrome Stable: see if the problem still manifests itself.....I've run the Dev from first release......in fact I havn't got any history/storage data in Chrome Stable.....I've had a couple of good cleaners in since I got the phone !

Nope. Nothing strange at all plus I have deleted all data in Chrome

Saros

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
It happens whether I'm on Wi-Fi or not. My Gf is on my Wi-Fi with her S6 and no problems

Ah, that's unfortunate. If you've gotten close to exhausting all other options and the source of the problem remains elusive, you might want to consider backing up your data and doing a factory reset.

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Have you got Adblock installed? Apparently it's a good idea. Make sure you don't download from unknown sources.
Have a read 'bout androidmax.mobi.....here :-
htc one - Virus smartphone not going away - Android Enthusiasts Stack Exchange

No, I don't have ad block installed. I read that article today. Doing a search on Google I find tons of threads on this issue but no one seems to be able to find the cause. I will try ad block but I wish I could find and eliminate the real cause instead of just blocking it

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Ah, that's unfortunate. If you've gotten close to exhausting all other options and the source of the problem remains elusive, you might want to consider backing up your data and doing a factory reset.

I had this issue on my note 2 before I got the S6. I did numerous factory resets to try and fix it but after a few days it always come back. From other threads I've found on this topic online everyone says factory reset did not solve the problem

Ian Morgan2

May 27, 2015
Visit site
I remember seeing in one of my search results that Malwarebytes could deal with it.....but as you'd already tried numerous A/V.....and as someone was reporting about having had success with Adblock...thought you'd be more interested in that.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Have you gone into the application manager and used the clear data option yet for Chrome? I would suggest that. as I had a similar problem with the stock Samsung browser and that fixed it right up.

I'm not sure it would be a full virus or rouge app that got installed since that is really, really hard to have happen unnoticed between Android's normal security stuff and KNOX.

So yeah, go into the application manager, force stop chrome, clear the data (not just the cache, that does not seem be enough) and see if that fixes it. If not then you can try the same thing over again but then use the uninstall the updates since you can't fully uninstall chrome. If that does not kick it out you can try a cache clear of the phone and if that does nothing then yeah, it's looking like a master reset is the last option.

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I remember seeing in one of my search results that Malwarebytes could deal with it.....but as you'd already tried numerous A/V.....and as someone was reporting about having had success with Adblock...thought you'd be more interested in that.

Thanks. I already tried Malwarebytes. I downloaded ad block and will try it

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Have you gone into the application manager and used the clear data option yet for Chrome? I would suggest that. as I had a similar problem with the stock Samsung browser and that fixed it right up.

I'm not sure it would be a full virus or rouge app that got installed since that is really, really hard to have happen unnoticed between Android's normal security stuff and KNOX.

So yeah, go into the application manager, force stop chrome, clear the data (not just the cache, that does not seem be enough) and see if that fixes it. If not then you can try the same thing over again but then use the uninstall the updates since you can't fully uninstall chrome. If that does not kick it out you can try a cache clear of the phone and if that does nothing then yeah, it's looking like a master reset is the last option.

Thanks for the reply. Clearing the cache and data does not help. Tried it many times

Saros

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
No, I don't have ad block installed. I read that article today. Doing a search on Google I find tons of threads on this issue but no one seems to be able to find the cause. I will try ad block but I wish I could find and eliminate the real cause instead of just blocking it

Ouch, what a pain.

At the risk of asking a silly question, have you tried posting about this at the Google product forums to see if the support folks have any bright ideas?

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Ouch, what a pain.

At the risk of asking a silly question, have you tried posting about this at the Google product forums to see if the support folks have any bright ideas?

No, I haven't. Do you have a link to the forum?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol