Recently went from from iPhone 6 to S6 -- LOVE THE S6! But one question as far as responsiveness.

Headlands

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm a very happy S6 user and am thrilled to be out of the iPhone world after many years in it. There's only one thing that I really miss from iOS, and that is the fact that it's much snappier. The S6 lags in response time when you switch to different apps, open any app, etc. This is not only my S6 -- every other single one that I've tried/used has the same issue.

Is there a way to make these things less laggy? Everything else is amazing, but this is the thing (and it's a big thing) that makes me miss the iPhone, because I move insanely fast (juggling business on multiple apps and accounts, etc.) and iOS was always able to keep up instantly. The S6 is noticeably laggier.

Any advice? I truly hope I can make it better...it's really frustrating for someone who's used to the speed of iOS. I truly hope I can do something to make it compare speed-wise.

I've slimmed the system (getting rid of/disabling bloatware, etc.), and am hoping there's something I'm missing.

Cooldrewf

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
If I go to settings and go to about phone and keep tapping on developer number or model developer options will show up. After that you would go into developer options and scroll down to animation and transaction speed. There are 3 and when u get there change all of them from 1 or 1.5 to .5. This will make the animation quicker with will make your phone feel more responsive.

Posted via the Android Central App

Headlands

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the help. I changed the settings and it does help a little bit, indeed. Some things still just sit there for a sec before they open, though, like Chrome and some other apps. The phone is only a few weeks old. Might just be an S6 or an Android thing? That would be a drag, but no smartphone is perfect.

aokusman1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
The lag is sending me back to the iPhone. It happens at least 15 times a day. Annoying.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Cooldrewf

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Ur right it could just be touchwiz and I'm positive my only other suggestions would be to make sure everything is updated in the Google play and Samsung store. Do a hard reset or trade it in for another phone because I've used one for like 2 hrs and I'm probably going to get one and they haven't had any lag for chrome. Hopefully you can get it fixed .

Headlands

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Damn. As far as I know everything is updated. It's really night and day next to the iPhone, on every S6 that I've used. Such a drag because I much prefer this phone to my iPhone 6 otherwise. This is a big thing to get used to though, when you're used to lightning fast response, open-and-close times, etc. I'm past my return time for the phone but might need to switch back to the iPhone 6, which I really don't like for other reasons that Android far surpasses, for me.

Headlands

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm an Android noob. Didn't know I could use another interface! Nova is one you'd recommend? I like speed and efficiency, have no need for fancy animations, etc.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Nova is good and very popular. I'm currently using smart launcher. It has a very small footprint and is fast and easy on battery. All are free until you upgrade to pro versions. Try different ones and have fun. This is where android really shines above apple. Customizations.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget to go into your apps and disable any Verizon bloat ware your not using. Other irrelevant stuff as well. Lots of garbage in there. Can always be reenabled later if need be.

Cooldrewf

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Even if you don't like the GS6 remember there's other Android phones that you could look at like Lg G4. Not to be rude but I would never go to iOS because there are more features in Android. Of u want to try you can call Samsung and tell them you have a defective phone and I'm sure that they will send you a new phone. Hopefully the nova launcher works though.

boxa72

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the great advice, everyone.
It's definitely TouchWiz! You should find when you swap to Nova that everything gets faster and you can also make the animations even faster in Nova settings. Nova is still pretty heavy but much lighter than TW. TW uses an insane amount of resources. Solo is another great launcher. Android has alot of customization options! Also maybe try Google Now launcher if u want a close to Vanilla Android as you can get without flashing a new rom 😉

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm a very happy S6 user and am thrilled to be out of the iPhone world after many years in it. There's only one thing that I really miss from iOS, and that is the fact that it's much snappier. The S6 lags in response time when you switch to different apps, open any app, etc. This is not only my S6 -- every other single one that I've tried/used has the same issue.

Is there a way to make these things less laggy? Everything else is amazing, but this is the thing (and it's a big thing) that makes me miss the iPhone, because I move insanely fast (juggling business on multiple apps and accounts, etc.) and iOS was always able to keep up instantly. The S6 is noticeably laggier.

Any advice? I truly hope I can make it better...it's really frustrating for someone who's used to the speed of iOS. I truly hope I can do something to make it compare speed-wise.

I've slimmed the system (getting rid of/disabling bloatware, etc.), and am hoping there's something I'm missing.

Go to settings-storage and clear cached data, then turn it off, and boot into Recovery mode by pressing and hold volume up, home and power buttons until you see the Android robot, thne n browse with your volume keys and select with the power button. Once in there do a Wipe Cache Partition, it takes just a second, and no, you won't lose anything, after that just reboot your phone and see if it gets better.

If you still have the issue then you have a rogue app, sorry, but that's something only you may be the one to identify and get rid of it. Begin disabling any antivirus, memory management or any other app of such nature, check also if you have any Live wallpaper or widgets apps they may also have caused some weird performance issues before.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Ohh one more thing I forgot before, if the Cache clearing doesn't work, see if you are using any theme besides the default one, if you do, try putting the default back and see, I'm telling you this because the only S6/s6 edge I have seen with lag was because a theme installed, once it was removed everything went back to normal .

Saros

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
The S6 lags in response time when you switch to different apps, open any app, etc. This is not only my S6 -- every other single one that I've tried/used has the same issue.

Could you be more specific? Which apps are you talking about, and under what circumstances?
(e.g. Do they need internet access? Is this when you're on Wi-Fi or using data? Are you talking about a fraction of a second of delay or seconds, plural? What's your signal strength like?)

Are you actively running any anti-virus/anti-malware apps that could be hogging up system resources?

[edit: apologies to erasat, I started to reply, phone rang, came back, and ended up posting a lot of overlap.]

mj0528

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget to go into your apps and disable any Verizon bloat ware your not using. Other irrelevant stuff as well. Lots of garbage in there. Can always be reenabled later if need be.
Nova doesn't make a difference. What's worse is I'm thinking about the edge plus like an *****!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Is there a special way to swap UIs, or does it do it automatically when you install a new one?
After installing a new one a little selection menu pops up allowing you to chose and check just once, or always. Check always and your gold. To swap around different ones you have go to settings>applications>application manager, find it and clear defaults. If that doesn't work you can force stop it. Sometimes I find I need to do that. Then the little selection menu pops up again as you back out of settings and you choose the new ui you have already downloaded. Some keep several launcher ui's on their phones and swap out whenever the mood strikes. Can't do that with iPhone. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech