Android 5.1.x Update for AT&T

Doug Fitton

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
This is getting to be bs now they should have already got all the bugs worked out. There really is no reason why they haven't pushes it out

POSTED FROM THE NEXUS 7 2013 via Android Central App

Jamez Avila

Banned
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I tweeted AT&T yesterday and of course, got a canned response.
Sick of them!

Posted from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S6

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-25-11-30-54.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-08-25-11-30-54.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 91

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I tweeted AT&T yesterday and of course, got a canned response.
Sick of them!

Posted from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S6

To be fair to customer service, they are never told when updates are coming. All they are allowed to do is give canned responses. I learned this as a rep for Sprint, if they caught us saying what was beyond the canned script then we got in some rather serious trouble; wasn't even allowed to say we don't know when it is coming out. It annoyed the heck out of me.

I'm hoping we get the update tomorrow otherwise I think we may not get it until closer to the Samsung Pay launch.

EMY92

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
It takes a lot of time to add all of the bloatware that AT&T adds to every update. You can't expect the bloat to be added overnight.

buckwheatdx

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Honestly I've been hoping for an update to fix some of the minor issues with the phone but if I can get Samsung pay installed in a month, I'll take it over 5.1 tomorrow and Samsung pay after Christmas

Saros

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Yup and I'm seriously close to switching. Not like losing one customer would make a difference but it's the principle.

It's understandably frustrating that AT&T has been slow to release the update (I'm a customer too). However, there's a lot of hostility being directed at the company over the issue in this and other threads, as if their action (or inaction) is both deliberate and malicious. Personally I don't find such accusations fair or reasonable. It's also commonplace (as previously stated) that the average support/CS rep isn't going to have access to release information, and as such it's doesn't do much good to berate them for matters out of their control.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
It's understandably frustrating that AT&T has been slow to release the update (I'm a customer too). However, there's a lot of hostility being directed at the company over the issue in this and other threads, as if their action (or inaction) is both deliberate and malicious. Personally I don't find such accusations fair or reasonable. It's also commonplace (as previously stated) that the average support/CS rep isn't going to have access to release information, and as such it's doesn't do much good to berate them for matters out of their control.

I agree that such sentiments about carriers can be a little intense. I am disappointed with the delay but, from a daily functional perspective, I have no issues with my carrier. The delay has not caused enough of an issue to consider moving away from a carrier that I have been with for mare than 20 years.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I agree that such sentiments about carriers can be a little intense. I am disappointed with the delay but, from a daily functional perspective, I have no issues with my carrier. The delay has not caused enough of an issue to consider moving away from a carrier that I have been with for mare than 20 years.

People act like the 5.1 update comes with winning lotto numbers. My phone works just fine right now

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I have a feeling that the amount of updates that Samsung has been issuing is casusing AT&T to just want to do one cumulative update and be done with it for awhile. T-Mobile and Sprint have gotten, what, 3 or so updates that AT&T and Verizon pushed into one update? Heck, Sprint just pushed out an update that brought the Note5 TouchWiz UI changes and Samsung Pay. There has been push back from people that the OEM's need to move faster with updates and security patches and now they are but now that they are the carriers don't want to invest the money it takes to work on and test update after update so the big guys, like AT&T, require the updates be one big update so they have less work to do or they just lets the updates pile up and clog up the system. Plus I am betting AT&T and Samsung have some sort of agreement that say the update that enables Samsung pay HAS to go out before 9/28 so Samsung doesn't look bad. I would bet that is what AT&T is holding off on, one big update to do 5.1.1 and Samsung Pay. Verizon did not have to worry about that since they have yet to agree to Samsung Pay unlike the other carriers. On top of all the 5.1.1 won't be a great fix. Lollipop is kind of the Windows Vista of Android; it's pretty but does not work well.

AT&T isn't evil or malicious. They, like any company, want money and don't want to spend money on things they get no return out of. Updates are the best example of things they get nothing out of. I don't plan to switch from AT&T because of this, but I will never buy a carrier branded phone from them. That is why companies like Motorola doing well is so important: carriers need to get out of the phone business and stop interfering in the software of a phone.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
AT&T isn't evil or malicious. They, like any company, want money and don't want to spend money on things they get no return out of. Updates are the best example of things they get nothing out of.

That's the big issue here, while they can get away with this kind of things and really doesn't affect them because there is nobody cancelling their services or even making a huge issue about it, they don't have any incentive (because of what you have posted above) to make changes and do what they are suppose to do. The only way big corporations change is when they get hit where it hurts, in their pockets.

Updates are not something they get anything from, simply because of what I mentioned above, if people begin to demand that part of their service should be getting promptly updates, then they will be forced to do something about it, the same with the INSANE amount of bloatware they add to each phone. Updates should be a priority for them, with each update there are a lot of changes to maximize performance, increase battery life or simply fixing bugs, not prioritizing them mean you don't give a **it about your customers. Customers later get tired of Android in general because this or that bug, battery life or whatever else they may get tired of and most important can't understand why they get an iPhone and get the updates the same day Apple release them, but when they get an Android they must wait months and sometimes more than a year to get an update that was released to fix lot of issues and bugs.

Just in case, I was an AT&T customer for years, personal and Business accounts, I moved my personal account years ago to T-Mobile and last year I moved my Business account also, that's how I reward the companies that you can see day and night trying to make the difference and look for better options for their customers, while keep adding ALL the latest flagships and keep the Bootloader Unlock, add not that many bloatware and most important, basically you can find EVERY single feature as intended by the manufacturer, not like Verizon and AT&T, who love to remove useful features everywhere and even main ones like Samsung pay are still considering if add them or not, simply incredible. Enough said.

Last edited: