Android 5.1.x Update for AT&T

WBSnow

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Maybe this is not the correct forum to ask this question (if it isn't, please feel free to relocate it to the correct location), however I'm curious if anyone on the AT&T network has received the Android 5.1.1 update? Like many, I'm patiently waiting and like to update my device.

I read in another post about the Download Booster, which I'm looking forward to. I'm also looking forward to learning more about the update!

Posted via the Android Central App

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
That's a negative, ghost rider. No updates for you. AT&T are scumbags that probably won't even release 5.1.

Lmao. You're hilarious. Att hates their customers right? Maybe they want us to go to Sprint or Tmobile so we can get 5.1. Smh. You'll get it when they've tested it. It's not gonna make your phone last 3 days on a charge. It's a minor update.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
While I would like to get the update sooner rather than later, I would prefer an update with no bugs or glitches. Apparently, there was a hitch when the GS6 Active update was pushed out. Glad it was pulled before the GS6 gets it.

Jamez Avila

Banned
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Lmao. You're hilarious. Att hates their customers right? Maybe they want us to go to Sprint or Tmobile so we can get 5.1. Smh. You'll get it when they've tested it. It's not gonna make your phone last 3 days on a charge. It's a minor update.

They couldn't care less about their customers. They care about their money. Our software versions is no where on their radar.

Posted from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S6

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
They couldn't care less about their customers. They care about their money. Our software versions is no where on their radar.

Think of the flak that they would be getting if the update was pushed out and it caused more issues. Granted, the GS6 Active is nearly identical to the GS6 but there are differences that might not play well on the GS6. Are they too cautious, probably. It's their network and our choice to use it or not.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
While I would like to get the update sooner rather than later, I would prefer an update with no bugs or glitches. Apparently, there was a hitch when the GS6 Active update was pushed out. Glad it was pulled before the GS6 gets it.

There is no 5.1.1 for the Active, they haven't released the 5.1.1 version for any of their phones.

Sorry guys but there is no excuse for one of the largest US carrier for not having a version available close to 1.5 months after the little ones and most of the rest of the world also have it, in fact, it's simply a shame they still do that, main reason for the bad reputation Android in general has in relation with this topic. This supposed extra long time testing is in part caused by the equally shameful huge amount of bloatware they add to all their phones.

Jamez Avila

Banned
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
There is no 5.1.1 for the Active, they haven't released the 5.1.1 version for any of their phones.

Sorry guys but there is no excuse for one of the largest US carrier for not having a version available close to 1.5 months after the little ones and most of the rest of the world also have it, in fact, it's simply a shame they still do that, main reason for the bad reputation Android in general has in relation with this topic. This supposed extra long time testing is in part caused by the equally shameful huge amount of bloatware they add to all their phones.

Well stated and totally agree. Updates are so low priority for AT&T that they probably don't even have a full staff working on it which is why it takes so long to release.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Release of Samsung Pay as reason for delay?

If we don't get it this week now that the Note 5 has been released then I'd bet AT&T is holding it for Samsung Pay so they don't have to test multiple updates. If that is the case we'll be getting 5.1.1 right around 9/28 and AT&T will have really hit the bottom of the barrel for updates. It's all about money and AT&T makes no money on updates, not a single dollar. Unless the phone is fundamentally broken, as in can't make calls, text or use data, then updates are at the bottom of the totem pole. There is no reason, in their mind, to spend money testing an update when they get nothing out of it and the new phones that are coming that people will buy need to be tested.

AT&T does not have some super intensive testing process that the other big 3 don't have, though Sprint and T-Mobile likely skimp on the testing to save money, it's just about money. If they did have some super strong testing process then they would not have released as many borked updates as they have. This is the main reason why I'm selling my S6 for a Moto X Pure next month. I'm done with carrier interference, along with other things.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
If we don't get it this week now that the Note 5 has been released then I'd bet AT&T is holding it for Samsung Pay so they don't have to test multiple updates. If that is the case we'll be getting 5.1.1 right around 9/28 and AT&T will have really hit the bottom of the barrel for updates. It's all about money and AT&T makes no money on updates, not a single dollar. Unless the phone is fundamentally broken, as in can't make calls, text or use data, then updates are at the bottom of the totem pole. There is no reason, in their mind, to spend money testing an update when they get nothing out of it and the new phones that are coming that people will buy need to be tested.

AT&T does not have some super intensive testing process that the other big 3 don't have, though Sprint and T-Mobile likely skimp on the testing to save money, it's just about money. If they did have some super strong testing process then they would not have released as many borked updates as they have. This is the main reason why I'm selling my S6 for a Moto X Pure next month. I'm done with carrier interference, along with other things.

This is the exact reason I just picked up a (heavily discounted) Unlocked S6 on eBay. I'm going to use this bad boy until I can check out a Moto X for myself and see if the additions to the stock experience win out. I hate having to deal with carriers. I've been on a Nexus 6 for awhile, but this thing is going to give me some serious carpal tunnel...

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm just patiently waiting on the Nexus 5 2015 to come out then I'm putting my S6 up for sale. I'm done with carrier phones. If my Moto X 2014 pure edition didn't break I wouldn't even be messing with this thing. At&t doesn't care about keeping up with updates unless you're into the iPhone.