Crackling During Podcasts

duketreo

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I use Podkicker and have never had an issue with past phones. I download casts. I don't stream them. Everything usually works fine. However, I have noticed that when wifi is toggled off, I get on and off crackling through the speaker. Strangely, when I turn the screen on it plays clearly but as soon as the screen shuts off it crackles again. I tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling to no avail. Should clearing the partition have any effect or is this possibly a hardware issue? Maybe the speaker is not getting enough power unless the screen or wifi is turned on? This is really annoying, especially while driving when I don't want my wifi scanning and I don't want to keep powering on the screen. I would hate to have to send the phone in for this. I would also hate to try a factory reset.

Saros

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Does the audio crackle when you're playing other media/music/games/etc at the same volume level? Or is it limited to audio playback/download only related to that app? Have you tried streaming or downloading the same podcasts directly from their sources, bypassing the app?

Taking those steps should help isolate whether it's an app/software or hardware problem.

(Edited to add: you could also A/B between the onboard speaker and headphones under the same conditions.)

Last edited:

duketreo

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Sorry just getting back- was away. I tried plugging in earphones during the crackle and it still crackles through the buds. I guess this is a good thing as I think that would rule out hardware issues. Also, when streaming through Podkicker instead of playing downloads, there is no crackle. Hopefully this is an app issue that will be rectified. I like the app but am willing to move on if there are other alternatives. Does anybody have suggestions?

duketreo

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Installed Podcast Addict and downloaded a podcast. Shut wifi. Hit play. Shut off screen. Crackle still there: frustrating. Otherwise, my phone works fine. Do you think clearing cache partition will have any effect? I really don't want to factory reset and also don't want to send the phone in and get another one with other issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmitrbol