Samsung Galaxy S6 factory data reset on its own, then lost calendar synch performance

Peter Pan5

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
My quite new (3 weeks) S6 did a factory data reset on its own. It happened while I was driving for 2hrs on a highway, with the phone resting on the empty passenger seat, not touching the phone. Lost all data, all apps, all pics. Very frustrating. After 3 days of research (visiting Verizon store, calling Verizon, calling Samsung, internet research), the possible cause may the following:
about 2-3 hours before driving, the phone did a scheduled automatic update, which took more than 30 min to complete. This all happened in a signal-weak area. Tech support said, although the update completed, it may have had some flaws, and when the phone detects that, it may resort to a factory data reset to avoid greater functionality problems.
Unfortunately, the end result included functionality problems, most notably that the phone calendar only synched partially (!!) with my desktop Outlook calendar, and promptly I missed two important appointments.
Lesson learned: when a scheduled update comes your way, make sure you backup all contacts, photos, data etc, before allowing an update to perform.
Curious to learn if anyone else had similar problems right after a scheduled update.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That's unfortunate. Another possibility is that it took so long to download and install the update that the battery might have drained during the update process, which might have caused some corruption. Have you spoken with Verizon or Samsung about getting a replacement phone? This kind of thing shouldn't really happen, and the phone is pretty new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital