Samsung Pay Hands On (beta tester)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
From what I've heard/read, VZW will not include Samsung Pay in their devices for some reason. Let's hope the rumors are false and come launch day, they include it with an update.

duketreo

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Verizon better not screw us on Samsung pay, I wanna try it out.

Samsung Pay was one of the reasons why I bought the S6. It is already 2 or 3 months behind schedule. Verizon would be really disappointing many customers by not allowing it. I could live with a couple of weeks extra after it goes live but would not be a happy customer if they don't approve it.

jrdfox

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Just tried it at giant eagle today, everyone was blown away as it worked flawlessly at a non nfc terminal!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Just tried it at giant eagle today, everyone was blown away as it worked flawlessly at a non nfc terminal!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the update. I do hope VZW does support this! using my phone at a non NFC terminal is a game changer. One of the reasons I've hung onto my GS6. I still can't get Google Wallet to work reliably at NFC terminals on my GS6 (for example, Sprouts. They have an Apple Pay and Google Wallet logo on their terminal, but I can't get Google Wallet to work. It just keeps making the sounds but does nothing).

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's odd, I pay with Google Pay at Sprouts all the time. Even payed for the Note 5 upgrade with the old Note 4 using Wallet at the TMobile terminal!

But being able to pay virtually anywhere with my phone is definitely going to draw some attention. Wish it worked at gas station pumps, that way I could leave all my cards at home. Less clutter in my wallet!

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
That's odd, I pay with Google Pay at Sprouts all the time. Even payed for the Note 5 upgrade with the old Note 4 using Wallet at the TMobile terminal!

But being able to pay virtually anywhere with my phone is definitely going to draw some attention. Wish it worked at gas station pumps, that way I could leave all my cards at home. Less clutter in my wallet!

yeah it is weird. they may have some issue with their system. It's a new store, so maybe they have some software kinks to work out. I'm on my 3rd GS6 (for warranty reasons) and none have worked. I've tried at Home Depot too but I think they disabled their NFC as they are in the process of rolling out new POS updates.

Zach91

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm sick of verizon and for that matter all carriers having this stranglehold on what features/content goes onto the phones they sell. Something needs to change in that department and if verizon does indeed block samsung pay this will be my last phone through them. love their network/service, but cant stand them as a company.

Floridadomer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I am a beta tester but it won't register my Visa card. Its from a local credit union. I hope when this goes live, it will take my card. I was soooo excited when I got the invention!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
IIRC the Beta Sign Up did say that only Bank of America or US Bank cards would work with the Beta. All others will most likely be available upon launch.

"Have a qualifying card* from Bank of America MasterCard and Visa, or U.S. Bank Visa
*Qualifying Cards include:
Bank of America consumer credit, debit cards, small business debit cards (owner card only),
Merrill Lynch consumer credit cards, U.S. Trust consumer credit, debit cards
U.S. Bank consumer or small business Visa credit and debit cards, Elan Financial consumer or small business Visa credit card"

Floridadomer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Embarrassing but I thought "US Bank cards" meant all cards from US Banks. I just got done chatting with a Samsung rep and asked if he had a list of what was going to be QUALIFYING CARDS at launch. He said he didn't have that information. It also seems unclear if the financial institution needs to do anything on their end. My wife works at the local Credit Union that our card is issued from and has been trying to find out what they need to do.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if they do, but Visa and Mastercard are on board, but since there are several banks (US Bank, Citi, etc.) listed as partners, I'm not sure if there's something extra that has to be done on their end. Maybe there is, since apparently a 'virtual card' is issued when setting it up, from what we hear on the review.
Furthermore, there seems to be a disclaimer that says that some cards might not be compatible even from participating banks.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
This isn't as 'sensitive' to cases as Wireless Charging BUT a case will reduce the effective range, especially if it's a metal case or if it's too thick (like those TPU + Plastic Bumper + Belt Holster ones).

Dominator81

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I have a Seidio case... nfc and wireless charging works fine but it didn't work at one of the regular readers with the case on- i didn't have time to try it without the case because there was a line

Posted via the Android Central App

Dominator81

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone else has been having any trouble or has been smooth sailing?

So far using Samsung Pay has been struggle. I haven't been able to use MST payments. The phone interacts with the reader but the payment can't be completed "invalid card number" .
Adding my card was a nightmare in itself. I ended up doing it twice after having to reset the app due to above problem. I had to call Bank of America a total of four times just to get my card verified (10-20minutes on the phone each call). Been on the phone with Samsung and so far they don't have any explanations...

I know it's in beta, so I hope this get ironed out before the end of the month.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone else has been having any trouble or has been smooth sailing?

So far using Samsung Pay has been struggle. I haven't been able to use MST payments. The phone interacts with the reader but the payment can't be completed "invalid card number" .
Adding my card was a nightmare in itself. I ended up doing it twice after having to reset the app due to above problem. I had to call Bank of America a total of four times just to get my card verified (10-20minutes on the phone each call). Been on the phone with Samsung and so far they don't have any explanations...

I know it's in beta, so I hope this get ironed out before the end of the month.

Sorry to hear about your problems. For me, it's been smooth sailing. Adding my BOA card was easy. Just took a picture of it and it filled in the CC number and name automatically. All payments have worked flawlessly so far. The only thing I hope they fix is providing some type of on-screen indicator that the payment went through. Currently it does nothing on the screen to indicate it succeeded. The only way I know it worked is the payment terminal proceeds to the next step of the payment sequence.

r56mcs

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
I finally got the invitation today to be a beta tester.

After I read about Samsung Pay in Korean news and blogs last month, I had to have it!
I have been a long time Verizon unlimited data plan owner and it was not an easy decision to leave Verizon and stop using my free iPhone. However, the attraction to Samsung pay was strong enough for me to switch to T-mobile. I ordered a S6 via T-mobile customer service and I have had the phone for about a week now.
I had signed up for the beta program even before I received the phone in the mail. But the invitation didn't come. I signed up again and again and again and finally today, the invitation email was on my phone. Bravo!
I updated the phone which took close to 30 min and added a US bank debit card. And I had a chance to use it at Walmart after getting my flat tire repaired. It worked smoothly as expected and like magic!!
I cannot wait to add my Chase sapphire preferred card on it so that I can start collecting Ultimate reward points again!!

Addendum: I used it at Pizza Hut today.
samsung pay.png

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc