Which Samsung should I get?

Turns31

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
Going to upgrade but not sure which I want. Currently have an LG G3 and don't love it. Brother just got the Note5 and loves it but I don't know if I can get a phone that big. Plus I'l never use the stylus. Battery woes concern me about the S6 and S6 Edge but I do love their style and size. I know all of them will have better battery life than my G3 but still. As soon as they get M with Doze I think they'll all work great. I'm not a heavy phone user. Texting, Twitter, Emails, Web browsing, bluetooth streaming music on the weekends, that's really about it. Don't take much pictures or play any games. What should I get? Or should I just wait for the new Nexus or even the 2016 phones?

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
I love my S6. I wanted to get a smaller phone because I had the iPhone six plus and found it just a little too big for me. The S6 size is the sweet spot. Yesterday I got about 13 and a half hours off the charger with five and a half hours screen on time. I do have a couple of apps that increase my standby time and with the fact that this phone literally only takes just over an hour to fully charge it is the perfect device. If the S7 has a bigger battery I will definitely be getting it but I couldn't imagine owning any other device

Turns31

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
Really I think the regular s6 is the best fit. They only reason I'm considering the note or edge is for resale if the S7 is crazy good.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
The edge would have driven me nuts. I'm a female and have size nine fingers. My hands constantly would have gone over the edge of the screen as it already does on my regular S6. I've also heard that it's not great viewing videos on the edge and that the edges leave a slight tinge. I will only be getting the S7 if it comes with a bigger battery. I love my S6. Even now I still go onto Telstras website and can't see any phone I would want more

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Going to upgrade but not sure which I want. Currently have an LG G3 and don't love it. Brother just got the Note5 and loves it but I don't know if I can get a phone that big. Plus I'l never use the stylus. Battery woes concern me about the S6 and S6 Edge but I do love their style and size. I know all of them will have better battery life than my G3 but still. As soon as they get M with Doze I think they'll all work great. I'm not a heavy phone user. Texting, Twitter, Emails, Web browsing, bluetooth streaming music on the weekends, that's really about it. Don't take much pictures or play any games. What should I get? Or should I just wait for the new Nexus or even the 2016 phones?

If battery is super important get the S6 Active or Note 5, both have better battery then the regular S6. Look out for reviews of the new Sony Z5 it will probably have amazing battery life.

dreaming of electric sheep

jordyd

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Can't decide between the S6 and note 5. Love the s6 size but want the note power. Decisions decisions.

It's a hard decision. I have a Note4 and have tied with getting a smaller device for a while. While I love the Note 4 and the best device I've ever had, its weighs my pocket down.

The S6 would be perfect, but the battery is too small, but saying that fast charger sort of makes up for that.

The Sony Z5 range is looking good, but then there's no Amoled.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I have an S6 for work and my spare is an LG G3...needless to say the G3 stays off in my bag as an emergency. S6 is better than G3 in every way imo, including the button placement.

With that said, I also couldn't get used to a Note 5 size phone. I LOVE my S6, wouldn't give it up for anything....and that's coming from someone else who changed phones often. You seem like a user such as myself, S6 will more than work battery wise if you're a low to medium user. All the complaints are mainly extremely heavy users that manage to clock 5-6 hours onscreen time a day.

S6 is a great device, I have absolutely no regrets since launch and don't foresee me changing any time soon.

Posted via the Android Central App

jordyd

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Another thing to remember is the S6 like I experienced with the S4, if you're in weak signal area, you don't get a full day out of the battery, even with medium use.

It comes to something when you have to disable alot of features on a flagship phone just to get through the day. Just so they can make the device that little bit thinner. A feature rich device like the S6 should have a bigger battery.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Another thing to remember is the S6 like I experienced with the S4, if you're in weak signal area, you don't get a full day out of the battery, even with medium use.

It comes to something when you have to disable alot of features on a flagship phone just to get through the day. Just so they can make the device that little bit thinner. A feature rich device like the S6 should have a bigger battery.

What phone handles weak signal areas very well and doesn't hurt the battery?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
What phone handles weak signal areas very well and doesn't hurt the battery?
Which finger can you chop off without bleeding?

A weak incoming signal means the signal back to the tower will be weak, so the phone runs the transmitter at maximum power, using a lot of battery.

It's not Android, it's not the manufacturer, it's not the carrier, it's the laws of physics and chemistry. Weak signal = high battery drain. Light battery = lithium = can't drain the battery past 40% too often without drastically shortening its life.

The solution is to choose a carrier that has a strong signal where you use your phone most of the time. That's the first thing to choose in choosing a cellphone. Not the phone, not the plan, not the price, the coverage. A free $1,000 phone with free service does you no good in a dead spot.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Which finger can you chop off without bleeding?

A weak incoming signal means the signal back to the tower will be weak, so the phone runs the transmitter at maximum power, using a lot of battery.

It's not Android, it's not the manufacturer, it's not the carrier, it's the laws of physics and chemistry. Weak signal = high battery drain. Light battery = lithium = can't drain the battery past 40% too often without drastically shortening its life.

The solution is to choose a carrier that has a strong signal where you use your phone most of the time. That's the first thing to choose in choosing a cellphone. Not the phone, not the plan, not the price, the coverage. A free $1,000 phone with free service does you no good in a dead spot.

Agreed, my point of exactly... Thanks for writing it haha

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
If it's about weak signal then can someone please explain to me why my phone drains like no tomorrow on 3G coverage even though it has four bars of signal. Someone once told me that the S6 isn't built for 3G coverage and that's why but I don't know how accurate that is

jordyd

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
My point is that a phone with a bigger battery will more likely get you through a whole day, weak signal or not.

I never said it was only the Galaxy S6...

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Screenshot_2015-09-03-15-59-14.jpg

(Sprint GNote 5)

My apartment is in a low signal area, notorious for causing my S4 to heat up like a handheld hotplate. This shot was taken the day before yesterday, after I got home and switched over to Wi-Fi, after being out and about and using it in a regular manner for me, which is any moment I wasn't otherwise occupied.

Leaving my phone at idle used to heat my S4 to the point of hard to touch. My wife's S4 wouldwould get so hot at work she'd have to put it in airplane mode just to keep from burning her leg. She no longer has that problem since she also switched to the Note 5. She loves that she no longer has to carry a charger to work.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
My point is that a phone with a bigger battery will more likely get you through a whole day, weak signal or not.

I never said it was only the Galaxy S6...

Battery size plays a big role no doubt, getting a phablet gives you the advantage due to its size of battery. True. S6 is not a phablet, but even with some weak signals (I live in the country) I get by a day without issues.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
If it's about weak signal then can someone please explain to me why my phone drains like no tomorrow on 3G coverage even though it has four bars of signal. Someone once told me that the S6 isn't built for 3G coverage and that's why but I don't know how accurate that is

That I can't believe explain, it should be doing it...I am rarely in 3g coverage but in 4g I don't notice any additional drainage.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae