How can I get Google Photos with the Galaxy S6 and Contacts?

swirth

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
Google Photos with the Galaxy S6 and Contacts

I just got a galaxy S6 today to replace my Nexus 5. I am having trouble with some of the functionality involving pictures. All the pictures from my Nexus 5 are on Google Photos. I have Google Photos selected under my sync options for my account, but I can't seem to get them on my phone. I would like them on my phone so that I can select them to send to people and such in my gallery when I want to send an image using Google Messenger or something.

I was also wondering if there was a way to use my contact pictures from google or other places (Facebook maybe) on the S6 stock Contacts app. Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Google Photos with the Galaxy S6 and Contacts

Welcome to Android Central! Do you have the Google Photos app installed in the phone, or are you trying to use the stock Gallery app? The Google Photos sync option in the account sync settings menu is intended for the Google Photos app, I think. In order to sync with the Gallery app, you may have to look for the Gallery or Picasa option. It might also be in the Samsung account sync settings.

swirth

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for the quick response! I do have the Google Photos app installed as well as the Google Camera app. When I take a picture with Google Camera I see it appear in the stock gallery as well as my Google Photos and it backs it up and everything. I'm just trying to get it so that all my cloud photos (in Google Photos) sync locally so that I can use them in my messages or whatever. Or if I can get the phone to my Google Photos that would be fine too even if they weren't local.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Ok, so when you go to Settings>Accounts-Google>[your Google account], you said that Google Photos is checked on, right? And you only have this Google account, with no other additional but separate accounts that those Nexus 5 photos might have synced to?

On your computer browser, go to Google Photos--all of the Nexus 5 photos are there, correct?

Back on the S6, when you open Google Photos, it should default to your cloud photos--there's still nothing there?

swirth

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site

Yes Google Photos is check on my Google Account. When I look at my google photos on the computer and on the S6 it shows all my cloud photos so I know they're there. I just need to either be able to use the cloud photos as my default gallery so that I can select the pictures there for phone functions, or make them all local for the same reason, and so they show up in the stock gallery app as well. Thanks!

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

Yes Google Photos is check on my Google Account. When I look at my google photos on the computer and on the S6 it shows all my cloud photos so I know they're there. I just need to either be able to use the cloud photos as my default gallery so that I can select the pictures there for phone functions, or make them all local for the same reason, and so they show up in the stock gallery app as well. Thanks!

I know what you're saying here and what your asking is easy but you can't make it your default stock gallery to show up in the stock gallery app. You can download pics from Google photos that will store on your phone if you wish.

Now let me explain how to use what your asking for phone duties. While in google photos, tap on a picture to enlarge it. Upper right corner there are 3 dots and tap them. Select use as. From there you can use that photo as a contact photo or set as wallpaper. Now to send them to friends, tap the side ways V at the top and then select messages. It will load and you can send them as MMS text message. OR, when in the text messaging app (stock) tap the paper clip, select image, select photos, there you can select just once or always but it will pull up your google photos toy have in the cloud.

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

It might be dependent on the phone, because on my Zenfone 2, in the Contacts app (which is from ASUS), if I edit a contact and tap the photo, I can select Google Photos to choose the image--and that includes the cloud photos as well.

swirth

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site

I know what you're saying here and what your asking is easy but you can't make it your default stock gallery to show up in the stock gallery app. You can download pics from Google photos that will store on your phone if you wish.

Now let me explain how to use what your asking for phone duties. While in google photos, tap on a picture to enlarge it. Upper right corner there are 3 dots and tap them. Select use as. From there you can use that photo as a contact photo or set as wallpaper. Now to send them to friends, tap the side ways V at the top and then select messages. It will load and you can send them as MMS text message. OR, when in the text messaging app (stock) tap the paper clip, select image, select photos, there you can select just once or always but it will pull up your google photos toy have in the cloud.

Posted via the Android Central App

It's good to know that the stock Samsung messenger lets me select photos from Google Photos! I like using Google Messenger though, and it's really strange that it doesn't let me select photos from Google Photos when I want to attach a photo (which is why I wanted to make it my default gallery).

As for the contacts app, I was really hoping I could get it to pull pictures either from Google or Facebook or something so that I wouldn't have to apply pictures to everyone individually.

It might be dependent on the phone, because on my Zenfone 2, in the Contacts app (which is from ASUS), if I edit a contact and tap the photo, I can select Google Photos to choose the image--and that includes the cloud photos as well.

Yeah it must be phone dependent because when I click on the contact picture to change it, my only choices are from the default gallery which I can't change, or to take a picture.

Thanks for all the help guys. I was really hoping this phone would give me a little more wiggle room with customization stuff, I guess I can look into alternative apps though.