I get " Can't open microphone " error nowadays

eren130

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Sometimes when i click microphone on google search, i get "Can't open microphone" error. First i tought it's about google app but it is not.When i tried to call a friend on Viber he couldn't hear me and i realized it is about all applications which uses internet.To be sure, then, i tried to record voice on Facebook Messenger, microphone didn't work.On skype didn't work.

Then,i called somebody on gsm network, microphone worked. I tried to record my voice on local application, microphone worked.Again, i tried all applications which uses internet, no luck.

After some minutes microphone acts normally.I mean it works everywhere. I couldn't understand when it works normally or according to what.

When i have this case, killing all apps and reboot phone not helping.

Oddity is that my friend had Sony Z3, she has same issue.Microphone sometimes works sometimes doesn't work. So, i started think that maybe one app that we both have, always occupy the microphone and doesn't let another applications to use it. But why i can make calls on gsm network or record voice on local apps. Maybe they have higher priority on using microphone(?).

I searched on google, i found old topics about that and all told about permissions.But in my case i am sure it is not about that. Because as i said; sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

Now, i did a list of apps which uses microphone and i will try to delete or force stop one by one when i have this issue.

Has anybody else this issue?Anybody who has opinion?

Edit: Another friend who has Sony Z3 has exactly same issue. So far, 1xGalaxy S6, 2xSony Z3

Last edited:

Eric Prophet

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
Sometimes when i click microphone on google search, i get "Can't open microphone" error. First i tought it's about google app but it is not.When i tried to call a friend on Viber he couldn't hear me and i realized it is about all applications which uses internet.To be sure, then, i tried to record voice on Facebook Messenger, microphone didn't work.On skype didn't work.

Then,i called somebody on gsm network, microphone worked. I tried to record my voice on local application, microphone worked.Again, i tried all applications which uses internet, no luck.

After some minutes microphone acts normally.I mean it works everywhere. I couldn't understand when it works normally or according to what.

When i have this case, killing all apps and reboot phone not helping.

Oddity is that my friend had Sony Z3, she has same issue.Microphone sometimes works sometimes doesn't work. So, i started think that maybe one app that we both have, always occupy the microphone and doesn't let another applications to use it. But why i can make calls on gsm network or record voice on local apps. Maybe they have higher priority on using microphone(?).

I searched on google, i found old topics about that and all told about permissions.But in my case i am sure it is not about that. Because as i said; sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

Now, i did a list of apps which uses microphone and i will try to delete or force stop one by one when i have this issue.

Has anybody else this issue?Anybody who has opinion?

Edit: Another friend who has Sony Z3 has exactly same issue. So far, 1xGalaxy S6, 2xSony Z3

Eric Prophet

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
I have been having the same problems with my note 4 today. I just restarted my phone and it started working again. Sorry, probably not much help.

mgloss

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I've experienced the same problems when using voice text or search thru google. The only way that I know how to fix it is to restart the phone. Hopefully marshmallow will fix this problem!

Posted via the Android Central App

eren130

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I have found the reason that cause this problem. In my case, when i writed this post, Yandex added a new feature to Yandex Navigator. The new feature was voice control. With voice control, people can say the direction and "go" to start navigation. But unfortunatell they did some mistake and Yandex navigator was occupying the microphone all the time and didn't let another applications to use microphone. I reported them about this problem and they answered that in newer version they fixed this problem.

So, if you have this problem, check all applications which uses microphones.Start to uninstall one by one. Try to find application which causes this problem.

Phone_fan

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
I have found the reason that cause this problem. In my case, when i writed this post, Yandex added a new feature to Yandex Navigator. The new feature was voice control. With voice control, people can say the direction and "go" to start navigation. But unfortunatell they did some mistake and Yandex navigator was occupying the microphone all the time and didn't let another applications to use microphone. I reported them about this problem and they answered that in newer version they fixed this problem.

So, if you have this problem, check all applications which uses microphones.Start to uninstall one by one. Try to find application which causes this problem.

Thanks to your comment, I was able to understand what was happening with my Nexus 6. I kept getting the same "Can't open microphone" error. I uninstalled Cortana for Android and all is normal now.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to your comment, I was able to understand what was happening with my Nexus 6. I kept getting the same "Can't open microphone" error. I uninstalled Cortana for Android and all is normal now.

To add to this, I believe I figured out the problem with Cortana. I was getting the "Can't open microphone" error in Google Now on my Nexus 6, stock unrooted on Marshmallow. A recent update to Cortana added the "Hey Cortana" feature. I unchecked that option from the settings (I had enabled it), and Google Now works again.

In short, it is evidently a bug in "Hey Cortana".

dsdroid

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
My droid turbo same problem after installing Cortona. Try to give them a feedback with the box checked but even on thier app the microphone doesn't work. Uncheck the box and gave them a feedback on the error. We'll see if they answer

japali68

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Just got a Samsung s7 edge. OK Google not working - "can't use microphone. Restart unit" . Does not help. Funny thing is I say "OK Google " and a window opens saying can't use microphone. How did it hear it in 1st place? Checked permissions and they are OK.

tvans

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
Re: I get " Can't open microphone " error message.

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. Get "Can't Open microphone" message on Google as well as when trying to use it on email. Do not knowingly have Cortana.

danielbandari

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
Assign a different wake up voice command for you S Voice. If you are using the ssame command for both apps, one will start quicker and block the mic to be used by the other app.
Done it on mine and it is working just fine!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12