RCS and Video Calling from T-Mobile - Now available

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
With today's new updates for latest Samsung Galaxy flagships lineup, T-mobile has taken another huge step in separate themselves from the rest of the so called large carriers, the same that month by month just add more and more bloatware without a real benefit for the customers. T-mobile has begun to update their latest flagships to be able to use the latest in technology and after proven the Video calling I can honestly say that it's GREAT.

In order to use the Video calling you'll need to have VoLTE on, and I'm glad to report that finally they activated that for my area recently because now I just turned it back on after turning it off to prevent Cell Standby drain, and it's working as expected, great LTE speeds while in a phone call, and the Video call went through without a hiccup.

Now, the new killer feature, the RCS, by nature is a great addition, I just checked at the new settings on the default messaging app (sorry to not being able to use Textra now) and now I see a setting under Chat settings that ask you for the multimedia limit, by default is 9765 MB and you can change it to No Limits.

IMHO, this 2 new features from T-Mobile are killer features and possible Game changers in the Industry, what do you think?

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
With today's new updates for latest Samsung Galaxy flagships lineup, T-mobile has taken another huge step in separate themselves from the rest of the so called large carriers, the same that month by month just add more and more bloatware without a real benefit for the customers. T-mobile has begun to update their latest flagships to be able to use the latest in technology and after proven the Video calling I can honestly say that it's GREAT.

In order to use the Video calling you'll need to have VoLTE on, and I'm glad to report that finally they activated that for my area recently because now I just turned it back on after turning it off to prevent Cell Standby drain, and it's working as expected, great LTE speeds while in a phone call, and the Video call went through without a hiccup.

Now, the new killer feature, the RCS, by nature is a great addition, I just checked at the new settings on the default messaging app (sorry to not being able to use Textra now) and now I see a setting under Chat settings that ask you for the multimedia limit, by default is 9765 MB and you can change it to No Limits.

IMHO, this 2 new features from T-Mobile are killer features and possible Game changers in the Industry, what do you think?

I got a question. I have an international unlocked version(Sm-g925F) and was wondering if Ill be able to get this update. I have T-Mobile as my carrier and a T-Mobile SIM card.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I got a question. I have an international unlocked version(Sm-g925F) and was wondering if Ill be able to get this update. I have T-Mobile as my carrier and a T-Mobile SIM card.

No, this is just for T-Mobile branded phone. International unlocked phones are great because of the faster system updates and basically no bloatware other than Samsung's and Google's, but in things like this it may hurt not having a carrier branded one.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Do you think other carriers will introduce video calling? Is the video callnig a t mobile thing? Or something Sprint can adopt etc?

Both features are carrier's features not phone's, so whatever T-Mobile did all the others can do, it's up to them and their priorities.

pdxrealtor

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
My Verizon phone has video calling...... I'm not sure what requirements the other phone must have, but a few of my contacts have the video icon under their contact.

My daughter had it when we both had the s6, and it went away when she caved and went back to the iPhone.

Posted via the Android Central App

BrickNovax0389

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
I am hesitant to install the new update. Last update I installed seemed to make my battery drain and caused problems with bluetooth car connectivity. I ended up having to do a factory reset. How has your battery life been since turning on VOLTE? Unfortunately I have disabled this feature because it drained my battery.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I am hesitant to install the new update. Last update I installed seemed to make my battery drain and caused problems with bluetooth car connectivity. I ended up having to do a factory reset. How has your battery life been since turning on VOLTE? Unfortunately I have disabled this feature because it drained my battery.

Latest version seems to have fixed a couple of issues and memory and battery management seem to be better, BUT, yes, turning on VoLTE still increases Cell Standby and battery life gets a hit, maybe not as bad as before but still.

I think that even when this are great new features and require VoLTE for them, carriers seem to still have issues with VoLTE implementation and Cell phone radios. I can only say, update the firmware, give it a try, if for you the battery is still good leave it, if not disable it. I turned it off again but my plan is to turn it on if I need to do a Video Call or if I know that I will be using the Enhanced Messaging option (Chat) that so far really haven't use it, I'm a Whatsapp user.

Last edited:

BrickNovax0389

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Ok, Seems like a good idea. Thank you for such a quick and informed response! (This is the first forum I have ever joined!).. On another note.. do you recommend doing the update, and then doing a "Wipe Cache Partition" ? Or is that unnecessary.. BTW I have Galaxy s6 Edge

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Ok, Seems like a good idea. Thank you for such a quick and informed response! (This is the first forum I have ever joined!).. On another note.. do you recommend doing the update, and then doing a "Wipe Cache Partition" ? Or is that unnecessary.. BTW I have Galaxy s6 Edge

Every time you do a firmware update you should at least do a Wipe cache Partition in Recovery Mode, if it's a major update, it's recommended to even do a Full Reset, I don't normally do that as I simply hate to redo all my stuff, and in my case with just a Wipe cache partition it has always worked great after each update.