Camera Whirring Sound.. Is it a problem or not?

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
I know this issue has been raised before, but those users had issues with focusing in addition to the noise. And it seemed as if Samsung was not receptive to exchanging units.

In my case, occasionally when I open the camera app, either by double-pressing the Home button or opening the camera interface, I sometimes hear a mechnical whirring sound coming from the camera module. As far as I can tell, I have not had any problems with focusing or taking photos. It seemed odd to me when I first heard it a couple months ago, but I thought it was part of having a more advanced camera. I searched online and some people said it was simply the OIS (Optical Imaging Stabilization) resetting or something.

But after reading a few threads here and hearing others have heard it in conjunction with focusing problems, I'm worried my phone may develop a similar focusing problem at some point in the future and by then it will be out of warranty.

So is it normal for the camera module to make a mechanical 'whirring' sound when the camera is accessed? It doesn't happen all the time. I usually hear it after the phone has been in my pocket for a while and then I pull the phone out and go to take a photo.

DougB541#CB

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I know this issue has been raised before, but those users had issues with focusing in addition to the noise. And it seemed as if Samsung was not receptive to exchanging units.

In my case, occasionally when I open the camera app, either by double-pressing the Home button or opening the camera interface, I sometimes hear a mechnical whirring sound coming from the camera module. As far as I can tell, I have not had any problems with focusing or taking photos. It seemed odd to me when I first heard it a couple months ago, but I thought it was part of having a more advanced camera. I searched online and some people said it was simply the OIS (Optical Imaging Stabilization) resetting or something.

But after reading a few threads here and hearing others have heard it in conjunction with focusing problems, I'm worried my phone may develop a similar focusing problem at some point in the future and by then it will be out of warranty.

So is it normal for the camera module to make a mechanical 'whirring' sound when the camera is accessed? It doesn't happen all the time. I usually hear it after the phone has been in my pocket for a while and then I pull the phone out and go to take a photo.

Former owner of htis phone. Here is what I didn't like. The camera used to not make the sound, then it started. To me, thats a problem.

vfp5

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Yup mine started with the camera having a lake effect when launching the app last month. Then 2 days ago it started whirring sound. Didn't want to but filed a warranty claim with at&t and waiting on my replacement

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
I a couple of times had a whirring sound coming from inside my phone rising in pitch when I exited Facebook messenger. Whether it was the camera or not I have no idea but it hasn't happened for a couple of months now. Having said that I have probably jinxed it now and it will happen again xd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz