MMS between my Galaxy s6 and my wife's I-Phone 5

Jim Garrison

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
I seem to be caught in between a rock and a hard spot :( When ever my wife sends me an MMS on her I-Phone 5 I get the text immediately, but if she includes a picture it takes up to 25 minutes to get that picture in the galaxy default messaging app. We are on an AT&T Plan with unlimited texting in the Pacific North West. This is an ongoing problem since the release of the galaxy 6. I called my AT&T guy and he says it's an ongoing problem with I-Phones and Galaxy phones and as far as he knew there was no fix yet. I would like to be able to receive text and pictures (mms) from an I-Phone without having to wait 20-25 minutes for the picture to be downloaded. Also, If I chose to have Wi-Fi turned on, the picture never comes in on my phone, I have to turn Wi-Fi off to even receive the picture at all. Do I need to change messaging apps?

any help would be appreciated

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
MMS requires a data connection... this is why you don't get any photos on Wifi. Also unlimited text has nothing to do with photos, because you still need data for sending photos, while you don't need it for plain text.

I can't help you with your S6 because I don't own one. I can tell you that my Note 4 has no problem receiving text with photos from my daughter's iPhone 5, so it's not a Galaxy phone problem. That AT&T guy is giving you a canned answer. Might be better to talk to someone else that'll actually check your's or your wifes phone settings.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps you or she has some kind of real time security or Antivirus scanner installed on your phones which is delaying the transmittal. Just a guess.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I seem to be caught in between a rock and a hard spot :( When ever my wife sends me an MMS on her I-Phone 5 I get the text immediately, but if she includes a picture it takes up to 25 minutes to get that picture in the galaxy default messaging app. We are on an AT&T Plan with unlimited texting in the Pacific North West. This is an ongoing problem since the release of the galaxy 6. I called my AT&T guy and he says it's an ongoing problem with I-Phones and Galaxy phones and as far as he knew there was no fix yet. I would like to be able to receive text and pictures (mms) from an I-Phone without having to wait 20-25 minutes for the picture to be downloaded. Also, If I chose to have Wi-Fi turned on, the picture never comes in on my phone, I have to turn Wi-Fi off to even receive the picture at all. Do I need to change messaging apps?

AT&T is simply making excuses. The phones aren't the issue, it's AT&T's network, simple as that. Are both phones purchased from AT&T or are they unlocked and from another carrier, or just factory unlocked? If so, you may want to verify your APN Settings on both devices.

at&t apn settings - Step by Step Configuration

If that doesn't work I would go at AT&T. Like mentioned above, you need data to send MMS. There is something on their network slowing down the transfer. That's that.

Hope that helps

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I think your "AT&T guy" is giving you a bs response. For the past several years, I have had Galaxy phones and my wife has had iphones (both also on AT&T). We exchange MMS pictures all the time and have never had a problem.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
My best friend has a 5s and sometimes when she texts me to my s6 I don't get the messages until ages after they were sent or have even gotten multiples. Then again we are both on the beta program so there's no way of knowing if it was caused by being on the beta or a different issue

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
If the users of the iphone are using imessage, that could be the problem. Imessage uses apple dedicated servers to handle imessage requests. If so, i blame apple.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jim Garrison

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
APN; nxtgenphone
Proxy; not set
Port; not set
MMSC; http : // mmsc. mobile. att. net (double spaced because this stupid site won't allow a link in a post if you have less than 10 posts)
Multimedia message proxy; proxy.mobile.att.net
Multimedia message port; 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
APN type; default,mms,hipri,fota
APN Protocol; IPv4/IPv6
APN roaming protocol; IPv4/IPv6

The settings on the AT&T APN page were much different probably because that was written over a year ago. I'm still having the same problem. Also to nahoku, I know data has to be enabled to get MMS. I also know unlimited txt has nothing to do with mms. I wouldn't post here if I didn't already know that. I think i've read those two points over a hundred times on this site and others.
I would like to hear from other S6 users since it seems to be an S6 issue. BTW my S6 is not unlocked. I'm using the default messaging app that came pre-installed. We ran a few tests last night with her in the same room so I could see what she was doing and 3 pics came in instantly and the next 3 took 15-20 minutes. It's not just her either my son just got and I-Phone 6 plus and he sent me a couple of pics that took a long time also. He is 3 states away on the other side of the Rocky Mtn range from us. I'll find out what app they are using and post it later.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I have an S6 and the wife has an iphone. We are on AT&T. No issues, and have never had issues.

Did you have an iphone prior to the S6? iPhones often have trouble sending to non iphones due to iMessage. Have your wife make sure she is sending MMS and NOT iMessage when sending (needs to turn blue from green or something? Not an iphone guy, but I know it changes color). When the problem is one iphone and one not-an-iphone, the problem is almost always due to iMessage. If you had an iphone previously, or are logged in to an IOS device somewhere, it is probably trying to deliver the photo via iMessage, timing out, and then sending normally.

EDIT- Curious why you would think the problem is with YOUR s6... I presume you get MMS from everyone else on time and fine?

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Also to nahoku, I know data has to be enabled to get MMS. I also know unlimited txt has nothing to do with mms. I wouldn't post here if I didn't already know that. I think i've read those two points over a hundred times on this site and others.
No one can read people's minds and so we can't guess at what you know. That's why I posted what I posted. If you don't appreciate it, then don't write stuff this...

Sorry I attempted to help! I'll keep out of your S6 world!

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I attempted to help! I'll keep out of your S6 world!

What purpose did you have to make that quote and point? Not ONCE did I take a shot at you or give you a hard time for running an Note 4 and not an S6? You should really deal with your anger issues before you open your mouth.
Control your issues or don't post!

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site

On the iphone I would check the messages settings. Settings/Messages/Toggles for MMS messaging[on]

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
I have an S6 and the wife has an iphone. We are on AT&T. No issues, and have never had issues.

Did you have an iphone prior to the S6? iPhones often have trouble sending to non iphones due to iMessage. Have your wife make sure she is sending MMS and NOT iMessage when sending (needs to turn blue from green or something? Not an iphone guy, but I know it changes color). When the problem is one iphone and one not-an-iphone, the problem is almost always due to iMessage. If you had an iphone previously, or are logged in to an IOS device somewhere, it is probably trying to deliver the photo via iMessage, timing out, and then sending normally.

EDIT- Curious why you would think the problem is with YOUR s6... I presume you get MMS from everyone else on time and fine?

It's blue for an imessage and green for a regular one

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
What purpose did you have to make that quote and point? Not ONCE did I take a shot at you or give you a hard time for running an Note 4 and not an S6? You should really deal with your anger issues before you open your mouth.
Control your issues or don't post!
No comment was ever aimed at you. Why the forum put your name as being quoted, I have no idea. It's been glitchy lately. If you notice, you never even wrote what I quoted anywhere, so I wouldn't be able to quote you. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Jim Garrison

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
I have a second son who has an S5 and his mms took a bit of time to download. Not 15 min but 5 min or so. I don't know anything about I-phone operation but i'll check the iMessage thing.

Jim Garrison

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
We did a bunch of testing tonight, the only night I could get everyone in one place all at the same time. Anyway, I checked both the I-phones, the I-6Plus and the I-5, one had i messaging turned off, the I-5, the other had it on, the i 6plus. I had the same problem with both phones, also with my other sons galaxy 5. So that told me it was my phone. I first uninstalled the apps I had installed since I purchased the phone. Not that many I think 5 or 6. Then reset the phone after backing up the items I wanted to save to my PC. It stopped, mms was instant again. then I started to put the settings I had to save battery life and then BINGO Settings\connections\data usage\restrict background data...mms died again. I turned phone off restarted took off back ground data restriction, mms became instant again. I tested this 3 times and 3 times it restricted mms, so I found out why it was happening. Way back when I first got my phone and there was a problem with battery life depleting overnight I used a walk through on this site on how to minimize battery usage and one of his main points was to restrict background data for improved battery life. The one thing I found that I thought was strange. I had to turn the phone off after un-restricting background data before I could get mms. Thank you for all your replys, When push comes to shove there is nothing better than step by step troubleshooting testing.