Samsung S6 Water Damage

Mega Byte

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
So i dropped my Samsung S6 into the sink for like a fraction of a second and it was only half submerged. When I took it out, I dried it immediately but the back button and the sidebar button weren't working. The phone was just fine however so I took it to school with me. When i went home and tried to charge it, it said that it was overheating and then it shut down. I tried to charge it but it didnt seem to be working, I can see the screen lighting up but its stuck at 0% battery. About 5 hours have passed since it had contact with water, ive read as many online forums that i could fine so ive pretty much realised the mistakes that I have done so please don't lecture me on that. My only question is, if I use the rice trick now after 5 hours will it still work? I don't have rice at home so if I go and buy some it might be a total waste of money if its already too late. Please reply as soon as possible and thanks in advance. Also, where is the indicator for water damage on the samsung s6?

aokusman1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
So i dropped my Samsung S6 into the sink for like a fraction of a second and it was only half submerged. When I took it out, I dried it immediately but the back button and the sidebar button weren't working. The phone was just fine however so I took it to school with me. When i went home and tried to charge it, it said that it was overheating and then it shut down. I tried to charge it but it didnt seem to be working, I can see the screen lighting up but its stuck at 0% battery. About 5 hours have passed since it had contact with water, ive read as many online forums that i could fine so ive pretty much realised the mistakes that I have done so please don't lecture me on that. My only question is, if I use the rice trick now after 5 hours will it still work? I don't have rice at home so if I go and buy some it might be a total waste of money if its already too late. Please reply as soon as possible and thanks in advance. Also, where is the indicator for water damage on the samsung s6?
It may and it may not work, it's a question that nobody can answer. It does not hurt to try at this point.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mega Byte

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
The only things that arent working are the back and sidebar buttons, also the overheating issue needs fixing cos i think my phone shorted out(?) Also it would be great if you could state what currency you are referring to, thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
We don't have that kind of information, and besides, it's hard to say how extensive the damage may be, so the range of repair cost could be pretty wide.

Mega Byte

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi once again, ive put my phone in rice for about 3 days or so and now and everything is fully functioning! Its no longer overheating and the sidebar and back buttons are working. Theres just one problem though, my phone seems to randomly go to the sidebar/go back without me tapping on them, if you now what I mean. I think the sensor(?) on the sidebar and back buttons are spoiled. Is there anything i can do about this issue other than see a proffesional? I mean my phone still has its wareanty but the service centrw is located pretty far from where i stay so...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Glad to hear it's working better! Water damage can be very unpredictable, so there's no guarantee it'll continue working how it is now--be prepared for it to start malfunctioning at any time. so make sure you keep your data backed up or synced on a regular basis.

Since there was water damage, the warranty will be void.

cache11

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I have saved 2 fully submerged phones by placing them on top of the dashboard of my car parked outside on a very sunny day, windows up tight and I let them bake for several hours. Both were during the summer so it was pretty hot. Prior to this I towel dried them and blew out the ports with canned air and both worked like new after they baked. My Droid Maxx actually went through a full heavy duty wash cycle and my Blackberry fell in the toilet. Fortunately it had been flushed. Maybe I'm just lucky, but that is what I will do again if the need arises. I have also carried insurance on every phone since the Droid Maxx.

Posted via the Android Central App

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Get a new phone and eat the rice. I love rice. Life proof waterproof case on the next one. Problem solved. Good luck man

aokusman1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I have saved 2 fully submerged phones by placing them on top of the dashboard of my car parked outside on a very sunny day, windows up tight and I let them bake for several hours. Both were during the summer so it was pretty hot. Prior to this I towel dried them and blew out the ports with canned air and both worked like new after they baked. My Droid Maxx actually went through a full heavy duty wash cycle and my Blackberry fell in the toilet. Fortunately it had been flushed. Maybe I'm just lucky, but that is what I will do again if the need arises. I have also carried insurance on every phone since the Droid Maxx.

Posted via the Android Central App
The act of baking a phone in the sun must be damaging to the phone itself.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

Brian Weiss

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I work in a repair shop and the s6 has the lowest success rate I have ever seen. The rice trick will only work if its right after the fact that you were using the phone more then likely built up an obsessive amount of corrosion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21