11-24-2015 10:51 AM
208 ... 23456 ...
tools
    I got my update yesterday morning, and it took a while to download the 660 MB of data via WiFi. The installation went smoothly, but I noticed that not all of my Contacts were syncing from the Google cloud. I tried clearing the system cache, turning off/on my Google Account syncing, clearing the Contacts app cache... nothing seemed to help. I ended up doing a factory reset which corrected the Contacts syncing issue, but I then needed to spend a few hours re-downloading my apps, configuring settings, etc.

Note, that I haven't noticed my S6 running any snappier, or any differently than before.
    09-27-2015 02:31 PM
    Could the failed attempts have anything to do with disabled apps? Can any of you on ATT that successfully updated tell us if you had anything disabled?

Posted via the Android Central App
    I have quite a few apps disabled. My phone failed the update once but it worked the second so I don't think it has anything to do with disabled apps.

09-27-2015 02:44 PM
    Update went well. Phone is snappy. Battery seems about the same so far. I'm liking the less lag on my phone though. It's only daybone so I'll check it out in a week or so

09-27-2015 05:07 PM
    Hi .how very good of you update
    take that stuff. can you comment

Enviado desde mi SM-G920F mediante Tapatalk
    09-27-2015 05:08 PM
    Could the failed attempts have anything to do with disabled apps? Can any of you on ATT that successfully updated tell us if you had anything disabled?

My update went smoothly on the first attempt, and I long ago disabled all the AT&T bloat (25 disabled apps total).

[S6 via Tapatalk.]
    TheIowaKid likes this.
    09-27-2015 05:33 PM
    I ended up going to Best Buy to have my phone updated but that didn't go smoothly either. Somehow the failed updates were showing 5.1.1 when connected to their computers, but 5.0.2 on my phone. They updated it twice but it still showed 5.0.2 on my phone. I ended up doing a factory reset, but it still showed the same crap, until it suddenly started downloading the update over the air, which took FOREVER on the store wifi. What should have been a 15 minute visit turned into an hour and a half when it was all said and done. I'm still in the process of reinstalling all my apps and what not. It did add Samsung Pay for me and I was able to set that up without issue.
    darkmanx2g likes this.
    09-27-2015 09:57 PM
    Update: I just happened to go into the Samsung Pay app and it is now showing the update to install. So looks like it's Live now!
    darkmanx2g and planoman like this.
    09-27-2015 10:11 PM
    Update: I just happened to go into the Samsung Pay app and it is now showing the update to install. So looks like it's Live now!
    Thanks for this was just reading this on my nexus and reached over to my S6 and updated the app! Gonna try it out tomorrow!

Just added my BoA debit card!

Posted via Nexus 6!
    09-27-2015 10:38 PM
    Thanks for this was just reading this on my nexus and reached over to my S6 and updated the app! Gonna try it out tomorrow!

Just added my BoA debit card!

Posted via Nexus 6!
    Same here, I added my BofA debit card. I'll try it out tomorrow at 2 different stores.
    09-27-2015 11:45 PM
    44% in 15 mins woo-hoo
    09-28-2015 12:15 AM
    Why would you do a factory reset after update? If that's what ya'll do or meant
    09-28-2015 12:20 AM
    It just seems that phones need the cleaning provided by a total reset. I have noticed how much faster and what better battery life is obtained by doing a factory reset after a major update. YMMV.
    09-28-2015 05:12 AM
    I have a 925A and I installed the update without any problems the first time. Everything is running much smoother and I notice my multitasking has GREATLY improved. I can actually swap between a few apps before things get reloaded and the lag i'd sometimes get while doing maps + play music at the same time is gone. My battery life is better than it was on 5.0.2 but I got the update saturday and really only had yesterday to test. I did notice that the latest play services (8.1.15) was causing more of a drain than normal on 5.0.2 and I think some of the drain is continuing with 5.1.1 so hopefully google will release an update soon that will bring battery life back to where it should be.
    09-28-2015 05:58 AM
    I have the S6 edge and the biggest change is that I now have the app edge and people edge on ever screen, and youtube live broadcast is turned on in the camera app!

09-28-2015 07:01 AM
    Tried for the third time last night and it failed again. Hopefully ATT fixes the update so I don't have to walk into the store for a OTA update..

09-28-2015 07:44 AM
    Mine failed 7 or 8 times (I kept changing the date) over a 3 day period... I eventually backed up my phone, reset to factory, and then updated it. The only thing I could think of with my phone as to why it wouldn't update is I manually updated Google Play Services to install Android Pay and test it out.
    09-28-2015 08:06 AM
    I manually update play services all the time and my update installed 1st try without a hitch. If you have some system packages disabled that could cause the failure or if you had rooted at one point without properly going back to unrooted via odin.
    09-28-2015 08:56 AM
    Having a hell of a time trying to get this thing updated to 5.1.1.

Knowing I was rooted I started off with a factory reset. Unfortunately I forgot to disable SuperSU so the phone re-rooted itself after the factory reset. One more FR and I'm no longer rooted.

Got one smaller update applied successfully, but the 680MB 5.1.1 update has attempted and failed 3 times now. I tried Smart Switch but the app doesn't think an update is available. I've confirmed several times I'm not rooted anymore. Knox trip says 0. I've booted the phone into Odin Mode (hold pwr, vol- and home button on powerup) with the phone connected to my PC and it says "Downloading... Do not turn off target", nothing more. Going to wait this screen out for a couple hours, otherwise I'm seeing if my local AT&T store can flash it manually.

This is about the least convenient system I can think of. Thanks, Obama.
    09-28-2015 09:00 AM
    But does it remove contacts on reset? Mine is running fine with update think I'll leave it alone for awhile see how it's doing
    09-28-2015 09:27 AM
    I honestly think that this update is going to make me start using themes on the s6. Not because of process optimization or anything like that, but damn these new icons make my phone look very "kid like".

This is how the kid mode apps look like for samsung: http://cdn.liliputing.com/wp-content...-kids-mode.jpg

I hope i don't ruin this for anyone else, but i can't help but see kid mode when looking at my phone now.

Anyone have any suggestions for some decent looking themes?
    09-28-2015 09:40 AM
    After I updated to 5.1.1, I have noticed it improved my fingerprint scanner--it works on the first try and is much faster (the previous updates from this past summer decreased the performance of my scanner). I am very happy now! Overall, my phone snappier after this update. However, I do not plan on using Samsung pay.
    09-28-2015 10:33 AM

Knowing I was rooted I started off with a factory reset. Unfortunately I forgot to disable SuperSU so the phone re-rooted itself after the factory reset. One more FR and I'm no longer rooted.

Got one smaller update applied successfully, but the 680MB 5.1.1 update has attempted and failed 3 times now. I tried Smart Switch but the app doesn't think an update is available. I've confirmed several times I'm not rooted anymore. Knox trip says 0. I've booted the phone into Odin Mode (hold pwr, vol- and home button on powerup) with the phone connected to my PC and it says "Downloading... Do not turn off target", nothing more. Going to wait this screen out for a couple hours, otherwise I'm seeing if my local AT&T store can flash it manually.

Local stores can't flash updates, only Device Centers. Best Buy however has a Samsung counter and they will flash updates for free for any Samsung phone.
    09-28-2015 12:08 PM
    I honestly think that this update is going to make me start using themes on the s6. Not because of process optimization or anything like that, but damn these new icons make my phone look very "kid like".

This is how the kid mode apps look like for samsung: http://cdn.liliputing.com/wp-content...-kids-mode.jpg

I hope i don't ruin this for anyone else, but i can't help but see kid mode when looking at my phone now.

Anyone have any suggestions for some decent looking themes?
    If you like a dark theme, a lot of people like the Material Dark and it is free.
    09-28-2015 12:09 PM

Since you were rooted you won't be able to flash without using Odin to go fully wipe and back to a fully non-rooted system as it makes various changes to system files and permissions which the update checks for. The alternative is to wait for a flashfire 5.1.1 update that will let you retain root though you won't get any kernel updates and driver improvements that are in the kernel as well as any security fixes.
    09-28-2015 12:14 PM
    I'm downloading attempt #2. First attempt downloaded completely, reboot for install, walked away, and came back to it saying it didn't install correctly.

Update: After 2nd attempt, install failed and it said to try again in 22 hours.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    09-28-2015 03:10 PM
208 ... 23456 ...