AT&T update

Saros

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
It's 5.1.1 folks. Samsung Pay, New icons, live broadcasting, UHQ audio, and a big performance boost. Phone is very snappy.

Your post got quoted in a Tech Times article today. I suppose that would be more of an honor if the article weren't so amateurish. ;)

Speaking of which, regarding this later quote:

Tech Times said:
"I also tried and was unable to enable UHQ Upscaler audio, not sure why that's the case. The option is simply grayed out," complained a user on the XDA forums.

That's because a headset needs to be connected to enable this feature from the SoundAlive settings menu.

Saros

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm happy with it so far, not sure what else changed. Hopefully someone can post a change log.

AT&T didn't get around to that until today, but the details are pretty scant, as usual.

chlg.png

My update did not remove Skype (thankfully, as I use it often). We should also now have RAW support for photography via third-party photo apps, I haven't gotten around to testing it out yet.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I honestly think that this update is going to make me start using themes on the s6. Not because of process optimization or anything like that, but damn these new icons make my phone look very "kid like".

This is how the kid mode apps look like for samsung: http://cdn.liliputing.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/samsung-kids-mode.jpg

I hope i don't ruin this for anyone else, but i can't help but see kid mode when looking at my phone now.

Anyone have any suggestions for some decent looking themes?

Yeah Samsungs icons all suck. I actually think the new ones are even worst...

Posted via the Android Central App

osubass1

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Having a hell of a time trying to get this thing updated to 5.1.1.

Knowing I was rooted I started off with a factory reset. Unfortunately I forgot to disable SuperSU so the phone re-rooted itself after the factory reset. One more FR and I'm no longer rooted.

Got one smaller update applied successfully, but the 680MB 5.1.1 update has attempted and failed 3 times now. I tried Smart Switch but the app doesn't think an update is available. I've confirmed several times I'm not rooted anymore. Knox trip says 0. I've booted the phone into Odin Mode (hold pwr, vol- and home button on powerup) with the phone connected to my PC and it says "Downloading... Do not turn off target", nothing more. Going to wait this screen out for a couple hours, otherwise I'm seeing if my local AT&T store can flash it manually.

This is about the least convenient system I can think of. Thanks, Obama.

i tried the update all night long and it never worked.

i finally freed up 4GB on my phone, and it worked without issue. i've seen some other reports that say you can get away with as little as 3GB. it may be worth a shot if you don't have any space left on your phone to get rid of a few things, then put them back on after the update completes.

reno55

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I still have not gotten the update to even show.

Went to Samsung counter at Best Buy and they didn't even have it.

How can I get this update?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

double p

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
This is the second update that will not install on my phone. The download occurs, the device restarts and then at the at&t screen it says update failed. I guess I'll have to go see Samsung at best buy to get the download. This will get old if it's the norm for updates.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
This is the second update that will not install on my phone. The download occurs, the device restarts and then at the at&t screen it says update failed. I guess I'll have to go see Samsung at best buy to get the download. This will get old if it's the norm for updates.

I was with AT&T for years, just until a month ago and every device was a Samsung. I never had this issue, this hasn't been the norm.

ec34500

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
tried to update 4x and it still hasnt gone through. Like others, it downloads all the way and then when it starts to install, it says it fails and reboots. I will try going into a best buy tomorrow but its very frustrating that it wont just work on its own. This has never happened before - does anyone know why this is happening?

EgoGelder

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
tried to update 4x and it still hasnt gone through. Like others, it downloads all the way and then when it starts to install, it says it fails and reboots. I will try going into a best buy tomorrow but its very frustrating that it wont just work on its own. This has never happened before - does anyone know why this is happening?

Me and another user had this same issue... basically we were able to resolve it by clearing up space on the phone. We tried with 3-5 gig free, and that wouldn't take, but after clearing the app cache or freeing up several more gig the update went through with no problems. Give this a shot before you head into best buy.

Thanks!

dpw2atox

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
If you're seeing high cell standby times make sure you disable Enhanced LTE which is used for Voice over LTE, it causes a big battery drain still though not as bad as it was on 5.0.2. It is even worse when you're on Wifi so I'd advise it stay disabled until AT&T enables Wifi calling.

I also saw on apk mirror that a new play services 8.1.18 240 was released which might help with battery life some, I had noticed with the last 2 versions of play services 8.1.14 and 8.1.15 that my battery drained MUCH faster on 5.0.2 than it did with previous versions so hopefully things are improved in this new release.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
If you're seeing high cell standby times make sure you disable Enhanced LTE which is used for Voice over LTE, it causes a big battery drain still though not as bad as it was on 5.0.2. It is even worse when you're on Wifi so I'd advise it stay disabled until AT&T enables Wifi calling.

I also saw on apk mirror that a new play services 8.1.18 240 was released which might help with battery life some, I had noticed with the last 2 versions of play services 8.1.14 and 8.1.15 that my battery drained MUCH faster on 5.0.2 than it did with previous versions so hopefully things are improved in this new release.

Using WiFi calling raises the cell stand by also, it does on T-Mobile.

I use VoLTE daily and my standby is never even noticeable.

double p

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Me and another user had this same issue... basically we were able to resolve it by clearing up space on the phone. We tried with 3-5 gig free, and that wouldn't take, but after clearing the app cache or freeing up several more gig the update went through with no problems. Give this a shot before you head into best buy.

Thanks!
I have 14 gig free and it doesn't work for me.

ec34500

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site

Thanks!

I have 14 gig free and it doesn't work for me.

I also have 14gb free and it still isnt working - so space isnt the issue

dpw2atox

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I know when I had VoLTE enabled on my S6 Edge with 5.0.2 I was seeing 60% of my battery drain coming from it, then on 5.1.1 I saw 30% of my drain coming from it so maybe T-Mobile has a different implementation than what AT&T is using? Since Wifi calling isn't out I was merely speculating. One thing is for sure that right now it isn't ready for normal usage. I do live in an area that doesn't yet support it so that also might be the cause of my drain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34