Analyze my battery life please?

JFeisty

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Just got an S6 on Verizon and I absolutely cannot make it through a day on the battery and I'm a medium user at worst...closer to being a light user. Heck my old S4 did better (and so did the iPhone 6 I just came from). I have WiFi turned on (no bluetooth). 70% of my battery gone with only 2.5 hours of SOT. Can you tell me if this is "normal" for an S6? Thank you!

EDIT: Oh, and I've already wiped the cache partition and it didn't help.

Battery1.jpg
Battery2.jpg
Battery3.jpg

RFish86

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Facebook app is junk as you can tell. Also FB messenger. But if you must have it then I guess but I deleted both those instantly and just use Web FB. Helps a lot. I'm averaging. 4 SOT. In a 16 hour day.

Posted via the Android Central App

JFeisty

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Normally Facebook, and certainly Messenger, are not part of the battery equation...not sure what happened yesterday. The battery life is the same though...terrible. Heck, it loses 15%+ just sitting overnight doing absolutely nothing. I've never had a phone that was this bad and I've had Android phones since the Droid Eris days. A friend with an S5 has like 70% of his battery left at the end of our work day while I'm at 30%.

I'm seriously thinking about giving it back as I'm still in my 14-day window. I just don't really care for any of Verizon's other phones...Droid Turbo maybe? Ugh.

darkmanx2g

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I would recommend you to get wireless chargers around the office or home while youre working. Keeps my battery topped off throughout the day. I leave work with 95%-100% battery life.

I do not have to plug in on my commute home.

Posted via the Android Central App

clintw22

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
My sister and I both have the Galaxy s6 on Verizon and both of our phones barely last 8 hours with 2.5-3 hours of SoT. Granted it may be service as in our town we usually have 1-4 bars of LTE but I'm wondering if it's verizon with this phone.

xaviex77

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
Same issue here, I've tried everything. I can't get through a single day. Because of this whole battery issue, I'd have to say that it's the worst phone I've ever owned (coming from a long time Samsung user).

clintw22

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I've had the Galaxy s1-s6 and am very disappointed with this phone also. Ya it looks good and has a awesome camera but when I gotta charge my phone 3 times a day it makes it hard to like. I've only wanted the Galaxy phones but might try for a Note since it has better battery life or look somewhere else unfortunately.

JFeisty

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Ah, okay. Have you tried the recommendations in this thread?

Unless I'm chewing through battery quickly with games (Hearthstone, Real Racing, etc), I'm currently averaging 5+ hours of screen-on time in a cycle (on AT&T) using social media apps, general browsing, Tapatalk, etc.

I set the brightness to about 25% all day yesterday and I suppose it was a little better. But to have to disable and shut down all kinds of features that you can leave on on other phones is pretty bad.

This morning my phone started with 100% battery. I sent maybe a dozen text messages and three Snapchats to my kids. Battery is down to 91% already!! I've always liked Samsung's phones but they should be embarrassed by this.

Saros

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
But to have to disable and shut down all kinds of features that you can leave on on other phones is pretty bad.

The aim should be disabling carrier bloatware and apps you have no use for, as well turning off services (Location, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc.) when you're not using them. Those handy quick toggles exist for a reason.

Leaving unused services on is a habit to break if one's goal is to maximize battery life. Otherwise it's the equivalent of leaving all the lights, appliances and TVs running in your home 24/7 and wondering why your electric bill is so high.

JFeisty

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
The aim should be disabling carrier bloatware and apps you have no use for, as well turning off services (Location, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc.) when you're not using them. Those handy quick toggles exist for a reason.

Leaving unused services on is a habit to break if one's goal is to maximize battery life. Otherwise it's the equivalent of leaving all the lights, appliances and TVs running in your home 24/7 and wondering why your electric bill is so high.

I completely understand what you're saying, and I certainly don't want to start an argument, but I'm not wanting to maximize battery life in the sense that my expectations are that I can make it last two days. My expectation is that it will last as long as my friend's S5 or the iPhone 6 that I had before. I never had to do all the stuff you're talking about with any other phone I've had. I just want the battery to make it through a day of light to medium use. That is currently not happening...not even close.

If I have to manually toggle WiFi on and off for every house or building I go into and manually adjust the brightness of my screen (even though Samsung turns on auto-brightness for me by default!!) or turn on and off location services depending on when I may need it...well, something just isn't right. Again, this is the first phone I've had with a battery life this bad...I'm not asking for the moon.

I sure hope Samsung learns from this. I really don't care if my phone is 1mm thicker if if means having an average battery life...and if 2mm thicker gets me GREAT battery life I'm all for it!!! Samsung did an excellent job with the S6 in all respects except for battery.

Saros

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
I never had to do all the stuff you're talking about with any other phone I've had.

That may be, but if you wish to improve your battery life on this phone, some effort will be necessary on your part. If you're not willing to entertain suggestions or methods that have helped many owners on this forum, I don't know what to suggest other than take it back to VZW and exchange it for a different phone.

I just want the battery to make it through a day of light to medium use. That is currently not happening...not even close.

It should be able to handle that -- unless your signal strength is so poor that it's eating your battery away, or there's a defect somewhere. I cannot stress enough the importance of optimizing the phone for your use, which includes disabling/uninstalling apps you don't want and never use, and turning services on/off when needed. Make sure software/accounts you never use aren't going wild trying to sync.

Mine was just off the charger for 30h+ with 4 hours of SoT and 35% remaining; as mentioned above I've regularly seen 5h+ in a 24h cycle (example). On my "light" cycles I've seen the better part of two days on a charge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC