Hangouts bug - conversations not updating

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone else's Google hangouts not updating their conversations properly? Messages I send don't show up in the chat unless I exit the conversation and then go back in. What gives? Is this something with hangouts or the s6? Like maybe the ram management thing?

Anyone else?

And while we're in it, is it me or did the Google keyboard get noticeably worse too? Auto correct isn't as accurate or reliable anymore. I also notice they've removed the aggressive auto correct feature.

What's going on? Anyone else?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes that is an issue that they have said is supposedly supposed to be fixed when Marshmallow is released. Thru are planning a Hangouts update for that day.

Jaysus

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone else's Google hangouts not updating their conversations properly? Messages I send don't show up in the chat unless I exit the conversation and then go back in. What gives? Is this something with hangouts or the s6? Like maybe the ram management thing?

I am having the same issue on a different device.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I thought it was just me. I was leaving it at the conversation view so I could see new messages, but I am now trying the Samsung Messaging app for the first time instead.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

What's up with Google lately. I feel like they're getting a little sloppy.

Anyone else feel like the keyboard is weaker now too??

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
They have always been that way with their apps. There is like one person working on Hangouts.

For apps, Google is always "break three things to fix one".

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I would love to see one text/video chat option to rule them all in Android as there is in ios, but Google apparently doesn't want to be that solution. At least not with hangouts or messenger...they both suck.

Posted via the Android Central App

acles003

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Been experiencing it for awhile now, like over a month. Super annoying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Ryan_W

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site

Anyone else?

And while we're in it, is it me or did the Google keyboard get noticeably worse too? Auto correct isn't as accurate or reliable anymore. I also notice they've removed the aggressive auto correct feature.

What's going on? Anyone else?

Myself, my wife, and about half a dozen others I play a game with all report this exact bug. We all uninstalled updates to revert to 3.x. I have also noticed the keyboard is harder to use. If you go very slowly and carefully it's OK.

Mad Spoons

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site

Anyone else?

Yes. I'm getting this, too. I think it's everyone, sadly.

Awful.

Mad Spoons

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I would love to see one text/video chat option to rule them all in Android as there is in ios, but Google apparently doesn't want to be that solution. At least not with hangouts or messenger...they both suck.

The closest thing I've found to that is FB Messenger. I use it for everything. Fact is, it's cross-platform and widely adopted in a way that pretty much nothing else is, at least here in the States.

RFclipse

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I've been experiencing the same Hangouts issue described for the past couple weeks, but over the past two days it's gotten much worse.

Now, I can see messages and text in the message list, but when I open a conversation, there is no text. Just an empty screen with the person's name at the top. I've also noticed that when this issue happens, multiple version of the same person's name appears at the top of the blank conversation window. The names are separated with a "|" symbol.

Sometimes I get a pop-up that says something like, "Conversation history is now on". After i try to send a message, I get another pop-up that says, "Your message is queued and will be delivered soon."

Most times the message never goes through.

I've cleared data/cache and uninstalled updates, but the same issue remains.

Any suggestions?

RFclipse

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Are others also experiencing the issue I've described above that renders the app basically useless?

PatyEw

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I'm from Brazil (sorry the english), I was trying to figure out the hangout bugs you guys are telling here, that annoying lag to send text messages and everything else... I thought it was my mobile, but reading about this here makes me feel "better". I uninstalled the latest version, seems to work.
Actually, my mobile as well started to present some "bugs" since Oct 1st, but I don't know is has something to do with Hangout app, google's changes or even if they're preparing the scenario to Marshmallow and in this pre-season everything seems to show bugs. :(

Thanks!

Velireon

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I've been experiencing the same Hangouts issue described for the past couple weeks, but over the past two days it's gotten much worse.

Now, I can see messages and text in the message list, but when I open a conversation, there is no text. Just an empty screen with the person's name at the top. I've also noticed that when this issue happens, multiple version of the same person's name appears at the top of the blank conversation window. The names are separated with a "|" symbol.

Sometimes I get a pop-up that says something like, "Conversation history is now on". After i try to send a message, I get another pop-up that says, "Your message is queued and will be delivered soon."

Most times the message never goes through.

I've cleared data/cache and uninstalled updates, but the same issue remains.

Any suggestions?

This perfectly describes the issues I've been having for a few weeks now. I really hope there is a fix other than downgrading soon ...!

RFclipse

May 27, 2013
Visit site
This perfectly describes the issues I've been having for a few weeks now. I really hope there is a fix other than downgrading soon ...!

I found the solution (at least for my phone) on another forum.

1. Go to Application Manager -> All
2. Scroll down and select Contacts
3. Clear Data
4. Return to Application Manager and select Contacts Storage
5. Clear Data
6. Restart

NOTE: this will erase all contacts from your phone, but if you've got then sync'd with Google, exchange, etc, they will reload automatically.

In my case, I found that my Contacts data was over 300 MB (I have no idea why). After performing the steps above, it's been around 10MB for the last couple weeks, and Hangouts is back to normal.

The only remaining issue I have is the bug where I can't see what I just wrote without exiting the conversation, but I can live with that one.

Hope that helps!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci