I've been using Gmail as the default email on my phone for ages. Today, for some reason, it didn't allow outgoing mail. It said "sending failed", then I got a message saying Gmail stopped activity from this unrecognized device and unsafe app. I followed the url it gave, and selected the option to say that was my device, but it still wouldn't allow it. I went on to Google to see if I could find a solution. I read that I should change my password, so I did. Then I tried to change my phone email setting to have the new password, but it won't let me, saying "authentication failed".
    I have scanned my device and uninstalled apps I had recently downloaded, but could this be due to some sort of malware? I have been getting tons of bad popups when I was on fb lately (Congratulations! Your profile has been selected...), as well as fb errors so I'm wondering if this is related? Is this a common problem? I really want to fix this!!

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-03-2015 12:08 AM
    Hmm, that does sound a bit suspicious. Were you using the stock Email app for your Gmail? Or the actual Gmail app? Or were you using Gmail in your mobile browser?

To be safe, I would go to your Google account using your computer's browser, and change your password now. To be even safer, set up two-factor authentication, if you haven't already.
    BellaGee likes this.
    10-03-2015 12:44 AM
    BTW, what you describe sounds somewhat similar to this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...anner-org.html
    BellaGee likes this.
    10-03-2015 12:51 AM
    I was using the stock email. The gmail app seems to be working fine, fortunately, but I'd rather use the stock email since I can use the combined inbox to view all 3 email accounts I have in one place.
    I'll definitely try changing the settings through my computer, and set up the two-factor authentication as you suggest. Thanks for the tip! :-)

10-03-2015 12:53 AM
    BTW, what you describe sounds somewhat similar to this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...anner-org.html
    Yes!! That's exactly what was happening to my phone! Same popups. I guess it is malware... I'm not sure how to get rid of the effects, now.

10-03-2015 12:56 AM
    At this point, I'd probably start from scratch.

1. Backup or sync as much of your data as you can.
    2. Go to Settings>Backup & Reset and uncheck Automatically Restore.
    3. Now do a factory reset.
    4. After the reset, and after you're done with the Setup Wizard, go immediately to Google Play Store and stop any apps that may be automatically installing.

Now start installing your apps one by one. Begin with the well-established and reliable apps (like anything from Google, Facebook, etc.). Be cautious with "RAM boosters/cleaners," gambling apps, and games (especially knockoffs of really successful ones). It's usually helpful to look through reviews of apps on Google Play to see if there are any complaints about adware, or lots of really suspiciously glowing reviews that all sound the same.
    BellaGee likes this.
    10-03-2015 02:27 AM
    At this point, I'd probably start from scratch.

1. Backup or sync as much of your data as you can.
    2. Go to Settings>Backup & Reset and uncheck Automatically Restore.
    3. Now do a factory reset.
    4. After the reset, and after you're done with the Setup Wizard, go immediately to Google Play Store and stop any apps that may be automatically installing.

Now start installing your apps one by one. Begin with the well-established and reliable apps (like anything from Google, Facebook, etc.). Be cautious with "RAM boosters/cleaners," gambling apps, and games (especially knockoffs of really successful ones). It's usually helpful to look through reviews of apps on Google Play to see if there are any complaints about adware, or lots of really suspiciously glowing reviews that all sound the same.
    I did reset my phone after going to change my password, etc. on Google, and now everything is working as it should! Thanks so much for the advice, B. Diddy! :-)

B. Diddy likes this.
    10-04-2015 11:13 PM