Sorry if this has already been asked & answered. My search didn't return any specific threads.

I'm still pondering whether to upgrade from my S4. I'm antsy about losing my SD card along with all my storage capacity.

I understand you get X amount of cloud storage built-in with the new S6 & Note 5, but does accessing that data when not on WiFi go against your data limit?

This is really the only thing holding me back from upgrading. That and the fact that I want the 64 GB version and there's a hefty increase in upfront cost versus the 32 gig model.

Thanks for the help!

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-05-2015 08:37 PM
    Yes. Anything stored in the cloud requires a data connection to connect. So, if you are not on WiFi, you will use mobile data.

One work around is to use your phone as a USB device to your laptop. Store the data on the laptop and move it back.and forth via USB cable. Only really work around I can think of that doesn't utilize data. I know this isn't the most graceful way, but it required no data.

10-05-2015 09:59 PM
    You not only get a certain small amount of cloud storage with the phone, but with Mega you get 50GB free. (As time goes on, all cloud providers will be increasing the amount of free storage they give.)
    10-06-2015 12:20 AM
    Thanks guys!

I'm not necessarily a conspiracy theorist but this kinda falls under the realm of possibility.

You either upgrade your data plan: cost to customer. Or you select a phone with more capacity: again, cost to customer. Win-win for carrier and manufacturer. Loss for consumer.

Or, as you pointed out, customer is left to find an alternative workaround, which is cumbersome, at best.

Maybe I'm alone in this situation because I am no longer able to work, therefore I have no WiFi alternative such as being able to utilize the network at my job or at a restaurant for lunch. I utilize my SD storage while I'm either driving or when I'm walking the dog or otherwise not connected to my home network.

I guess, however, I could look at this as an opportunity to manage my files better than I have been. My first HDD had 420 MEGAbytes of storage. When I got my first 20 GB drive, I remember thinking, "I'll *never* use all this!" Now I have 5+ TB capacity and I'm running out of room.

Sorry for rambling. Had to work through the possibilities. Thanks again for the help!

10-06-2015 09:42 AM
    I just upgraded from an S4 to an S6 myself! For $13, I bought a Leef MicroSD Reader, which I use for the card that used to reside in my old phone. Easy to transfer files back and forth.
    10-08-2015 11:37 PM
    Wow! Now there's an option I could live with. Thanks!

10-09-2015 09:04 AM
    Regarding cloud storage Samsung had a promotion with Microsoft offering 100 gb of cloud storage with the purchase of selected Samsung devices. The Note 5 and the Galaxy 6 were part of that promotion. Do you qualify for that?

On the subject of wifi, have you checked if your home internet provider offers hotspots in your city? Then of course there is Starbucks, McD's, the Public Library and others that provide wifi to their customers.
    10-09-2015 10:34 AM
    Regarding cloud storage Samsung had a promotion with Microsoft offering 100 gb of cloud storage with the purchase of selected Samsung devices. The Note 5 and the Galaxy 6 were part of that promotion. Do you qualify for that?

On the subject of wifi, have you checked if your home internet provider offers hotspots in your city? Then of course there is Starbucks, McD's, the Public Library and others that provide wifi to their customers.
    HI & thanks. I'm probably in an atypical situation than most people, which makes it more difficult for me to make a decision.

As I think I mentioned (I might not have) I use my phone/data most often in the car for either music or audio books. Same applies when I either am walking the dog or for exercise in our neighborhood. Neither situation is conducive to mobile hotspots or free Wi-Fi.

With limited storage capacity, my style is kind of cramped!

10-09-2015 04:37 PM
    Hello,

I have the same dilemma with the decision to switch so I wanted to ask a few questions about the storage...
    >does storing data on the cloud mean app data too like librarys and books?
    >If you want music does that also get stored on the cloud?
    >If u dont want to store anything on the cloud does the phone have any space it self to store data? and if so how much?
    10-17-2015 03:00 PM
    Hi Precursor.

I imagine you can store any data you choose to the provided storage. It's just like any other storage account, e.g., Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.

As to the device storage, that's been my question, too. My S4 is a 16GB version &, as I recall, I had somewhere around 9.5-10 GB free after the Operating System. I'd think that would still be the case with the latest version of Android, but OSes seldom get smaller.

According to an article on talkandroid.com, a 32 GB S6 has 23 GB free for user data.

http://www.talkandroid.com/243112-ho...n-a-galaxy-s6/

Hope this helps!

10-18-2015 11:28 AM