I upgraded my phone to the Samsung last week and it has so far used 3/4s of my months data allowance (It is until 5th November!!!) despite having uninstalled everything I dont need and turned off all the restrict background data. I used it today to look at facebook for about a minute, checked emails on my webpage email also connected to that for about 3 minutes and sent one message on messenger and its used 25mb!! I am having to switch it to 2G all the time to stop it eating data!
    I also have an issue in that it will only connect to the wi-fi at my house! If I try and connect to any other wi-fi (including Northern trains wi-fi which I used constantly on my last phone with no problems!) it tells me that its not safe and that I cannot access any webpages....
    So basically I am paying shed loads of money for a 2G phone! I am at my wits end....
    Is there anything I am missing doing or should I tell O2 thats it I want something different that works????
    10-15-2015 12:15 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Are you saying you turned on Restrict Background Data, or turned it off? Make sure the setting is to Restrict.

Go through all of your apps' settings, and make sure none of them sync or refresh data automatically. Change their refresh intervals to the longest possible interval, or "Manual."

Not sure about the wi-fi warning. That's not typical of most Android phones, so it may be some kind of security app, either preinstalled (like Knox), or installed by you.
    10-15-2015 12:44 PM
    or just switch data off and only enable it when you need it.
    facebook is going to use loads of data probably
    B. Diddy likes this.
    10-15-2015 04:20 PM
    How much data do you have monthly and what phone are you coming from?

2g vs 4G isn't gonna save you any data. It will just slow the transfer rate down. If a website needs 1.3mb to load, it's gonna use that 1.3mb regardless 1x, 2g, 3g, 4g, or wifi.

I'd suggest doing what both replies above says. Turn off all sync that you can. On top of that, turn off mobile data while you do not need it. That way your phone won't try to sync all your accounts when you enable data to check email, fb, and etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    B. Diddy likes this.
    10-15-2015 04:38 PM
    So you upgraded your phone to a S6 last week. Did you set up the new phone over Wifi or O2's wireless network. If you did not use WiFi, then yes your going to use a lot of data to transfer and download all the stuff (apps, music, photos) from you old phone to the new one. Changing for 2G to 4G does nothing other then slow the speeds, you'll still use the same amount. Download Gsam Battlery monitor to see whats sucking all your data up.
    10-16-2015 09:07 AM