Galaxy S6 annoyances vs. S5

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: Galay S6 annoyances vs. S5

With ya...I got a cheap wireless charging pad and while it works, its more annoying than helpful in my opinion. I don't consider wireless charging a buying feature for me, but I think fast charging is essential now. Having to charge my G3 is absurd, it takes more than 3x longer...frustrating.

Posted via the Android Central App

I use the wireless charger to charge at overnight.

kgwld1

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I to charge on the Samsung wireless charger. I'm sure this is old news but my phones new to me and I charge only at night on the wireless. But it would shut it self off everytime I would get a notification. If you put it in day dream it will charge to 100% everytime.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

It depends on how you use it. If you're somebody like me who sits in an office all day the wireless charging feature is the best thing ever. You sit, while your phone sits on a charger. And that's that. If you're a person who's on the go all the time then no, it's not a useful feature.

Calling it useless doesn't make much sense. Wireless chargers sell. For a reason.

Yeah but how is it really more convenient that just plugging it in? If you have to look at the phone, you take the phone off the charger and it stops charging. If it was plugged in you could just pick it up and look at it and it would still be charging. It's not like you're going anywhere when you're sitting at your desk so being attached to a cord is not inconvenient. I think it is kind of neat but that's really about all.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

With ya...I got a cheap wireless charging pad and while it works, its more annoying than helpful in my opinion. I don't consider wireless charging a buying feature for me, but I think fast charging is essential now. Having to charge my G3 is absurd, it takes more than 3x longer...frustrating.

I got an official Samsung wireless charger from Best Buy. Last night it didn't do the thing where it stopped charging in the middle of the night so that was something. I'm thinking I'll keep it for another week since I still have 8 days to return it.

Zachary Boddy

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site

I think wireless charging is a lovely feature especially with Qi making new strides in efficiency and speed. Nokia has had wireless charging as standard for years now and it's always been convenient and reliable. It also improves the longevity of your device because you're not constantly stripping your microUSB port. After a year and a half with my last phone the port was stripped and it would barely charge.

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

I think wireless charging is sort of stupid. I got a best buy gift card when I bought my S6 and decided to buy a wireless charger. I've been using it since last Sunday and I am thinking about returning it. It is much slower charging than the awesome fast charger that comes with it. Also, if you are trying to use the phone while it is charging, it is a total pain as you have to either keep it laying flat on the table or hold the stupid thing in your hand. Another thing that has been annoying is that the past two nights, I've rested it on the wireless charger and left it. It gets up to 80% and stops charging. I've had to pick it up and put it down again to get the charge going again. It is perfectly placed on the charger so it's not that.

I think I'm going to return it and just get another quick charger. Wireless charging is kind of a gimmick . it is quite neat but that's about where it ends. It's not more convenient. How hard is it to plug a cord into the phone? Lol it is a little easier but that is negated by the fact that it takes longer to charge, is cumbersome to use when charging and is inconsistent (at least in my case). .

Your using your wireless charger all wrong it was never ment to replace your fast charger wireless charger is good for over night . I use mine all the time at night I hate messing with that card unless I need a quick hit of power

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

Your using your wireless charger all wrong it was never ment to replace your fast charger wireless charger is good for over night . I use mine all the time at night I hate messing with that card unless I need a quick hit of power

I'm not using anything wrong. It's supposed to be more convenient and it really isn't much. Especially since sometimes it stops charging and I wake up with a phone that isn't fully charged. It's inconsistent and I am annoyed by that. I only use it to charge overnight so I'm not expecting it to be fast but if I have an almost dead battery and I want to use my phone for a bit before I fall asleep, I have to hold the stupid wireless charge pad on the back of my phone. Nobody in their right mind would find that favorable. Lol. I do think it's a neat feature but it's a total gimmick. How lazy have we become that we can't even plug a little cord into a phone?

If you like yours a lot, great but don't tell me I'm using it wrong. Lol. For me it just isn't anymore convenient. I never found it that hard to plug a little cord into my phone. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I'm going to keep it or return it and get another quick charger.

bnewall1

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

OK, so this thread wasn't meant to become a debate about wireless charging... perhaps that could become a new thread??? :)

I did some experimenting with a Verizon S5, my T-Mobile S6, and a T-Mobile Note 4. I ended up switching my T-Mobile S6 out for a Note 4. The Note 4 is basically the same "generation" as the S5. It was released later the same year, but runs the same software as the S5.

Here's what I did as my experiment:

1) Made sure I had set up a pattern lock on each phone, since that's what I use.
2) Called the Verizon S5 from a land line.
a) After answering the call, I turned off the screen myself.
b) After 10 seconds, turned the screen back on, but did nothing. The screen went off after 5 seconds. (I didn't remember this happening on my Verizon S5, but it must have.) In order to unlock, I had to press the Home button, then draw my pattern.
c) While on the home screen, turned the screen off.
d) After waiting 10 seconds, turned the screen back on. The home screen came up; I did NOT have to unlock it.
e) Brought the phone screen back to the foreground. Waited 1 minute for the screen to turn off on its own.
f) Waited another 10 seconds, then turned the screen back on. The screen did NOT turn off again after 5 seconds, but if I pressed the Home button, I still had to draw my pattern.
3) Called the T-Mobile Note 4 from a land line.
b) After 10 seconds, turned the screen back on, but did nothing. The screen went off after 5 seconds. In order to unlock, I had to press the Home button, then draw my pattern.
d) After waiting 10 seconds, turned the screen back on. I had to draw my pattern to unlock. (Different than the Verizon S5.)
e) Brought the phone screen back to the foreground. Waited 1 minute for the screen to turn off on its own.
f) Waited another 10 seconds, then turned the screen back on. The screen did NOT turn off again after 5 seconds, but if I pressed the Home button, I still had to draw my pattern.
4) Called the T-Mobile S6 from a land line.
b) After 10 seconds, turned the screen back on, but did nothing. The screen went off after 5 seconds. In order to unlock, I had to press the Home button, then draw my pattern.
d) After waiting 10 seconds, turned the screen back on. I had to draw my pattern to unlock.
f) Waited another 10 seconds, then turned the screen back on. The screen DID turn off again after 5 seconds (different than the S5 and Note 4). In order to keep it on, I had to press the Home button and draw my pattern.

Partly due to the differences above, but also due to changes in the S6 interface that I really didn't like, I ended up sticking with the Note 4. The battery lasts longer, too.

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I miss the Power Saving mode that turns the screen into Greyscale from the S5. Settings -> Accessibility -> Greyscale is not the same. It is not a Power Saving Feature and not easy to activate. At Night or right before a movie starts, activating this mode was priceless for me. With brightness around 10%.

This setting is still there. It's called ultra power saving mode. You can pull down the notification tray and click edit. Ultra power saving mode is in those toggles :)

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

I'm not using anything wrong. It's supposed to be more convenient and it really isn't much. Especially since sometimes it stops charging and I wake up with a phone that isn't fully charged. It's inconsistent and I am annoyed by that. I only use it to charge overnight so I'm not expecting it to be fast but if I have an almost dead battery and I want to use my phone for a bit before I fall asleep, I have to hold the stupid wireless charge pad on the back of my phone. Nobody in their right mind would find that favorable. Lol. I do think it's a neat feature but it's a total gimmick. How lazy have we become that we can't even plug a little cord into a phone?
I've been using the wireless charging feature since launch day with no issues. I have a charger at home and at work and I find it extremely convenient to just set my phone down on the charger pad without have to deal with a cable. Also, I've never had an instance where my phone didn't get full charged overnight or during the day with wireless charging. Maybe something is wrong with your charger or phone? Are you using a USB charger that is 2 amps output or higher?

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

I've been using the wireless charging feature since launch day with no issues. I have a charger at home and at work and I find it extremely convenient to just set my phone down on the charger pad without have to deal with a cable. Also, I've never had an instance where my phone didn't get full charged overnight or during the day with wireless charging. Maybe something is wrong with your charger or phone? Are you using a USB charger that is 2 amps output or higher?
Possibly something is wrong with the charger. It works most of the time just fine but I have had it stop a few times, which really turns me off. It is a Samsung wireless charger and I'm using the cord that came with it.

Anyway, if you find it convenient, great. To each his own. I personally find it to be rather gimmicky.

ziggster

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

If you look way, way back you will see that the Samsung puck-shaped charger is notorious for having the problem that you are describing (I experienced it as well). It is an issue with that particular charger. I ordered a TechMatte wireless charger from Amazon for about $20 and haven't had a problem since. I'm sure that most any brand will do, but I would recommend getting a rectangular pad charger instead of that stupid puck. That way placement isn't much of an issue.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

If you look way, way back you will see that the Samsung puck-shaped charger is notorious for having the problem that you are describing (I experienced it as well). It is an issue with that particular charger. I ordered a TechMatte wireless charger from Amazon for about $20 and haven't had a problem since. I'm sure that most any brand will do, but I would recommend getting a rectangular pad charger instead of that stupid puck. That way placement isn't much of an issue.
Thanks for the tip. I think I'll return the Samsung one.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc