Hi,

I am addicted to phones. I own several, and get the latest and greatest as soon as they come out. I love both Android and iOS. This site feeds my addition....

Here is one major issue I have, that I am surprised no one else is talking about. There is a huge disparity between the quality of pictures uploaded from an Android phone vs an iOS device to social media.

Perfect example - I own both the Galaxy S6 Edge + and iPhone 6S Plus. When I take a picture on the galaxy phone and upload directly to Facebook - the quality is horrible, worse then instagram. If I take the exact same picture with my iPhone - and upload it to Facebook, the picture maintains it's HD quality and looks amazing.

I think this is a huge issue - one that prevents me from using Android as a daily driver. I have seen numerous 'camera comparisons' between these devices - and everyone fails to mention this huge problem - what good is my S6 camera if the pictures I share on social media are horrible compared to iOS for example.

There are several forums that discuss this exact same issue, but there are no solutions (other then copying the photos to a computer, and uploading from a computer). This issue is the same across all Android devices btw - not just the brand new S6. Maybe I am generalizing a bit too much, but I own about 3 android devices a year, and the trend is the same across all of them. Samsung, or Nexus.

I would challenge you and your team at android central HQ to run your own tests to witness this - take an S6, and a 6s - take the same picture of something, and upload both to facebook, then go and look at the pictures and you will notice a huge difference. It is even more obvious when viewing the pictures on a laptop/pc - the resolution is just horrible on the Android versions - and retains the HD quality on the iPhones.

PS. the same is true for video as well - iPhone will upload and maintain much better quality video vs Android counterparts. I almost want to scream at the reviews that say 'the android camera is so much better this time around' - yes, i agree, it is! Especially on the S6 - but guess what? Can't do anything with those pictures...

What gives!
    galaxyfive likes this.
    10-20-2015 01:57 PM
    First and foremost, we need to realize that FB is not made to host full size high res photos. The band width needed for every user would be so astronomical. There is a reason why you have to pay money for media sharing apps that supports full high res pictures and videos.

With that said...

Is this all though the FB app on both devices?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    10-20-2015 02:45 PM
    I completely understand that - and that has been cited in quite a few other forums when this same question is posed.

With that said - yes, both are using the Facebook app designed for Android / iOS. What is also interesting is that if I upload the iOS version from the Facebook App (from the app store), or from the built in facebook app (caked into iOS) - both retain the HD quality.

The only workaround on Android that I know of is to 1. Go to Facebook within the browser and upload that way (for some reason that works) or 2. copy over to a computer and upload from a computer.

I can't recall what the resolutions are off hand - but the Android version of facebook uploads is pathetic, less then instagram I believe. While the iOS version keeps the image at close to 12MP I believe (I could be wrong) but in any event, it keeps it at a MUCH higher resolution.
    10-20-2015 03:01 PM
    Well that's the dev's that work on the apps fault, not android. I'm not a FB user but in the past, I could never stand to use the app. 90% of the time a photo wouldn't upload period. It got to the point I solely used FB via browser.

All in all, this needs to be a question directed toward the FB development team. Maybe they are iOS fans so they try to give the iOS app am edge. Who knows.

lucianus_luciferus likes this.
    10-20-2015 06:40 PM
    the android camera is so much better this time around' - yes, i agree, it is! Especially on the S6 - but guess what? Can't do anything with those pictures...
    I like my GS6 but I love your perspective.

The way IOS handles media sharing in iMessage makes me long for a true iMessage experience on a Samsung. Not like all Android hack job html hybrid offerings out there today.
    10-20-2015 06:42 PM
    I like my GS6 but I love your perspective.

The way IOS handles media sharing in iMessage makes me long for a true iMessage experience on a Samsung. Not like all Android hack job html hybrid offerings out there today.
    I just took a picture from each phone, uploaded to FB, then downloaded the pictures from FB to see what their dimensions were.

Android = 960x540
    iOS = 2048x1536

And there you have it :/
    10-20-2015 09:17 PM
    I just took a picture from each phone, uploaded to FB, then downloaded the pictures from FB to see what their dimensions were.

Android = 960x540
    iOS = 2048x1536

And there you have it :/
    Upload through the browser and check picture sizes.

10-21-2015 03:55 AM
    its the Facebook app that sucks not android
    10-21-2015 05:37 AM
    its the Facebook app that sucks not android
    Correction, the Facebook app on Android that sucks (sarcasm). The Facebook App on iOS is amazing.

As far as uploading through the browser - I stand corrected from my earlier comment - uploading directly from the phones browser on facebook site yields the same low resolution of 960x540...

All I am saying is - at the end of the day, due to either Android not willing to work with Facebook or Facebook not willing to work with Android - they are lower then sub par vs their iOS competition. It just drives me nuts. Even instagram has higher res photos. Oh, and btw, the iOS version of instagram photos is better as well.

I know a future comment might be 'dude, why do you care so much, its just facebook, if you want high res, you shouldnt be looking at facebook' - that isnt the point. If both Android and iOS had the same quality photos being uploaded - then I wouldnt care - but because there is such a huge difference it begs these sorts of questions - WHY... :/
    10-21-2015 06:55 AM
    Doesn't uploading pictures from an iPhone to FB put them in a folder called iOS photos or something? That right there is a flag that something is going on in the coding world of FB.

10-21-2015 03:50 PM
    @strickforce
    you have an iphone. why dont u just use that and stop complaining about android
    kind of tired of iphone lovers trolling the android forums
    10-22-2015 03:49 PM
    The only person that seems trollish/hostile is you.

I have clearly stated that I prefer Android. Unfortunately it appears that this is how most Android forums discussions go when the end result is 'I don't know why the iphone does it better' - 'your an iphone loving troll, leave'

That is the spirit!
    10-23-2015 07:34 AM