S6 Fingerprint ID not working for me!

Harry Wild

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I having trouble with the fingerprint ID! It will not work for me at all! Have to use the backup password about 99%!

I have an iPhone 6S and on the first setup of Touch ID; it works about 99.9% of the time! Not sure why the S6 is not working but I going to contact Samsung and see what they say! Not happy at all with the fingerprint scanner not functioning at all! Brand new phone too!

I spend about 2 hours and did all my fingers on my right hand and it just will not recognize any of them! I even clean my right hand with orange peel soap to get all the oils out of my hand and dry it with air until it was dry as can be but still no luck with the ID!

I might go to Best Buy's Samsung section and see what they say about it! Totally disappointed! Ugh!

Saros

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
I having trouble with the fingerprint ID! It will not work for me at all! Have to use the backup password about 99%!

For what it's worth, mine worked fairly well the first time I set it up, but I still experienced more read errors than I expected. After reading about other users' similar experiences, including those who were receiving an above-average number of rejections, I tried following a solution I saw posted in multiple places and it helped a great deal.

During the print scanning process, don't just keep your thumbs/fingers stationary over the sensor, placing your digits onto it in straight up-and-down motions. Instead, rotate your thumbs/fingers slowly, deliberately and gradually with each touch during the process, about 30° to 40° in each direction (left and right) from your original placement. Doing that greatly helped increase the scan's accuracy for me, and I've cleared and repeated the process three or four times just to make sure it wasn't my imagination.

Also, I've personally gotten better and more consistent unlock results from light touches rather than firm pressing.

Might want to give this a shot and see if your situation improves.

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
During the print scanning process, don't just keep your thumbs/fingers stationary over the sensor, placing your digits onto it in straight up-and-down motions. Instead, rotate your thumbs/fingers slowly, deliberately and gradually with each touch during the process, about 30° to 40° in each direction (left and right) from your original placement.

Yup. When you go through the set up it actually prompts you to do just this.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
For what it's worth, mine worked fairly well the first time I set it up, but I still experienced more read errors than I expected. After reading about other users' similar experiences, including those who were receiving an above-average number of rejections, I tried following a solution I saw posted in multiple places and it helped a great deal.

During the print scanning process, don't just keep your thumbs/fingers stationary over the sensor, placing your digits onto it in straight up-and-down motions. Instead, rotate your thumbs/fingers slowly, deliberately and gradually with each touch during the process, about 30° to 40° in each direction (left and right) from your original placement. Doing that greatly helped increase the scan's accuracy for me, and I've cleared and repeated the process three or four times just to make sure it wasn't my imagination.

Also, I've personally gotten better and more consistent unlock results from light touches rather than firm pressing.

Might want to give this a shot and see if your situation improves.

This. After doing this, i have never experienced any issues...i would say the failure rate is around 0.001% and its always user error (placement of thumb is off). Also, i would recommend not using a finger print slot for the same finger twice, i found it slightly delays the unlock as the device tries to cross reference and find a distinction/difference of which is unlocking the device.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
This. After doing this, i have never experienced any issues...i would say the failure rate is around 0.001% and its always user error (placement of thumb is off). Also, i would recommend not using a finger print slot for the same finger twice, i found it slightly delays the unlock as the device tries to cross reference and find a distinction/difference of which is unlocking the device.

I would have to disagree. Since I had a fingerprint scanner (s5 and s6), I've done my right thumb in 4 memory slots and it works flawlessly.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I would have to disagree. Since I had a fingerprint scanner (s5 and s6), I've done my right thumb in 4 memory slots and it works flawlessly.

Ok, my experience was different...mine actually delays a few secs to unlock compared to using only one slot for each finger. to each their own, for the topic creator if my theory fails you go with this alternative suggestion.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Why would you need 4 memory slots with the same finger?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

process of elimination, theres a less chance of the reader missing your finger. I did this with my previous iPhone 5S, it worked better on that device..i found the accuracy of unlocking to be quicker with less failures.

Saros

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Ok, my experience was different...mine actually delays a few secs to unlock compared to using only one slot for each finger.

I thought I remembered an article (or maybe a post here) which advised against doing multiple scan slots for the same finger/thumb, but I can no longer seem to find it.

linuxalien

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Mine works well. I set it up where I can unlock even one handed. Hopefully some of the techniques others mentioned help or it's just a dud sensor.

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
process of elimination, theres a less chance of the reader missing your finger. I did this with my previous iPhone 5S, it worked better on that device..i found the accuracy of unlocking to be quicker with less failures.

I never did this while using my iPhone or my S6. I just kept each finger to it's own registry. To be honest it may have helped my S6 but my iPhone i have to give it to them -- That thing worked flawless.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I never did this while using my iPhone or my S6. I just kept each finger to it's own registry. To be honest it may have helped my S6 but my iPhone i have to give it to them -- That thing worked flawless.

Your iPhone 5S or 6? 5S was the first gen Apple used this and maybe it was slightly less accurate? Or its possible i just registered my finger wrong, my wife has been using that same 5S since then and she rarely has to attempt twice so its also possible software fixed the accuracy.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Your iPhone 5S or 6? 5S was the first gen Apple used this and maybe it was slightly less accurate? Or its possible i just registered my finger wrong, my wife has been using that same 5S since then and she rarely has to attempt twice so its also possible software fixed the accuracy.

I had an iPhone 6+. It worked flawless -- the S6 I had would fail sometimes but I blame that mainly on the small button versus the entire thing being the reader.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I had an iPhone 6+. It worked flawless -- the S6 I had would fail sometimes but I blame that mainly on the small button versus the entire thing being the reader.

Ah OK, well an iPhone 5S vs 6S is a huge difference. I was referring to the first iteration, which was still fantastic and when i gave up my iPhone...losing TouchID was very difficult and one of the main reasons i got an S6.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc