Some honest advice - torn between the s6 and htc m9

mikeyboy80

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Sorry for asking his question but I'm kinda torn, I've got the opportunity to get either an s6 or m9 and don't n ow which way to go. I had the m9 and I loved the build quality, sound and interface but the camera was ok, not great. Noticed the speed of apps opening was faster on other phones compared to the m9 and the screen seemed better on my previous m8.

Anyway, I've considered the s6 but I'm put off by people saying there are ram issues and I'm not a fan of touchwiz? So just wondered with people's experiences with the s6 or even the m9/both what would they recommend?

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I owned an HTC M7 which I loved, and when it was time for me to upgrade I compared the M9 with the S6. Hands down, I felt the S6 was much better than the M7 in several areas. One such area was the camera, as I was sick of taking blurry and crappy photos with my M7 and I've read consistent reports that the M9 also takes poor pictures. Not so with the S6, which does a great job of snapping pics in low and bright light level conditions. I've owned the S6 since it was first launched, and I'm still thoroughly pleased with its performance. I have had any RAM or battery issues, etc. The touchwiz overlay has been toned down and isn't bad (I personally like it). And in the US you have Samsung Pay which you can use on the S6. If you haven't done so already, I suggest you check out both phones at Best Buy or your local carrier store and do a hands on comparison.

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
S6 is my vote. It's my favorite camera on any smartphone. It's fast, easy and the pictures are outstanding. The screen is gorgeous. There is a theme store now where you can theme your entire device, so you aren't stuck with the punchy colors anymore if you don't want them. The fingerprint scanner is another plus. It's quick and works great. Built in wireless charging is super handy. I've not had any RAM issues either. The battery is not the best in the business, but I have no problems getting through a normal day.

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh I forgot to mention rapid charging. So if you're getting low on battery, rapid charging is hella nice. 50% of your battery back in 30 min.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Thanks much appreciated. I've read about its zippyness, but does this start to decrease after weeks of using it?

Downsides of getting an S6: bad battery life, bad reception (for some).

Downsides of getting an M9: bulky (personal issue), huuuuuuge bezels (again personal issue) and camera. And yes the screen isn't as good as the M8. The M8 had the perfect screen! Loved the M8.

The software doesn't get laggy after time on the S6. At least not for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
The software doesn't get laggy after time on the S6. At least not for me.
Had my S6 since launch on Verizon and has been zippy quick, no lagginess at all. Then suddenly last night it started to bog down and crawl, struggling terribly. Checked the cache, yep stuffed full. cleared it out and zippy fast again. Took like a few seconds and all good again. Love this device.
For the OP, don't let lagginess talk dissuade you. the S6 is a fantastic device.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks much appreciated. I've read about its zippyness, but does this start to decrease after weeks of using it?

Surprisingly no, I've had no major issues with it lagging or slowing down.

The main disadvantages of S6 are battery and the fact the battery can't be swapped. But this is the same situation with M9 as well, so let's put this aside.

I'm with ya in being skeptical about touchwiz, I hated it on my older s3. But things are very different this time around, honestly they are. It's zippy, fast and doesn't bog down. However I can't say its better than Sense, I do think sense is a better OS overlay...

With that said, S6 camera and screen make M9 look like child's play. I have a G3 as well and every time I use it these two features on that phone I always come back to the S6...and any other phones I've used for that matter.

Ram issues arent that big of a deal in my experience, I can't even really tell the issue exists unless pointed out.

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Surprisingly no, I've had no major issues with it lagging or slowing down.

The main disadvantages of S6 are battery and the fact the battery can't be swapped. But this is the same situation with M9 as well, so let's put this aside.

I'm with ya in being skeptical about touchwiz, I hated it on my older s3. But things are very different this time around, honestly they are. It's zippy, fast and doesn't bog down. However I can't say its better than Sense, I do think sense is a better OS overlay...

With that said, S6 camera and screen make M9 look like child's play. I have a G3 as well and every time I use it these two features on that phone I always come back to the S6...and any other phones I've used for that matter.

Ram issues arent that big of a deal in my experience, I can't even really tell the issue exists unless pointed out.

Couldn`t agree more.Have had my S6 since just after launch,kept it for my "weekend" phone for a while but now using it as a daily driver...I`ve come from an HTC One M7/Galaxy S3 and I`ve got to say it`s light years ahead of both phones.The only minor downside was the battery performance but that has definately improved with the Android 5.1.1 update.Still as zippy as the day I got it,nothing I`d swap it for.

mikeyboy80

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks this has greatly helped my decision. Are there any tips I need to follow in order to assist with the no lag performance and battery life ?

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks this has greatly helped my decision. Are there any tips I need to follow in order to assist with the no lag performance and battery life ?

There's quite a lot, anything Android requires maintenance. There are a few good threads to help you get things ironed out early.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't trust HTC as much anymore and the M9 to me is just meh.. I'd go with the S6 if I was choosing between the two.

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
S6 is the much better phone but coming from the M7 the things I miss most are,

1. Sense on KitKat was so efficient, I never had to tweak anything it just worked, I also miss HTC news feed and zoe instant movies.

2. Phone reception was great

3. Ram management was great

4. Stellar front facing speakers,

5. awesome aluminum design

The interesting thing is you can now get most these features in the new Nexus 6p. I would choose the S6 over the M9 but I would choose the 6p over the S6.

dreaming of electric sheep

petaf

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I have a S6 Edge and bought a Mophie (battery case) for it. Not only does it look good, it ensures I don't run out of battery. Highly recommend.

Posted via Android Central App

Leslie Hatcher

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
You will not find a better camera, than on the s6. The screen is gorgeous, the camera is the best I have ever had on a phone (and trust me- I go through phones) and the quick charging is such a great feature. Battery isn't great, you will need to carry your charger or buy an extra one. My s6 randomly has issues with signal, which has been narrowed down to be a s6 problem, due to the fact I have Verizon and have great signal at my house, and other members of my family have zero signal issues, and I have replaced the SIM card.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I have owned both devices. I got an M9 back in April on release date. Used it up until about 2 weeks ago when I got the S6. I liked the M9 a lot. I don't think you can go wrong with either device. The S6 is a better device IMO but the M9 is a very sweet phone. Screen is much nicer and the camera is leagues better than the M9's. Battery life is a little better on the M9 but the S6 comes with a fast charger so it evens out a bit. M9 has uh oh insurance and has expandable memory, which is why I originally got the M9 over the S6.

Like I said, you can't go wrong either way. If expandable memory is important and camera isn't a big deal, get the M9. If you want a great camera, definitely get the S6. The S6 has an amazing camera. Arguably the best camera on a smart phone right now.

mikeyboy80

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
I have owned both devices. I got an M9 back in April on release date. Used it up until about 2 weeks ago when I got the S6. I liked the M9 a lot. I don't think you can go wrong with either device. The S6 is a better device IMO but the M9 is a very sweet phone. Screen is much nicer and the camera is leagues better than the M9's. Battery life is a little better on the M9 but the S6 comes with a fast charger so it evens out a bit. M9 has uh oh insurance and has expandable memory, which is why I originally got the M9 over the S6.

Like I said, you can't go wrong either way. If expandable memory is important and camera isn't a big deal, get the M9. If you want a great camera, definitely get the S6. The S6 has an amazing camera. Arguably the best camera on a smart phone right now.

Thanks, It's made me decision harder. I keep swaying s6 cause I do like me pictures to Come out well, but I'm worried that 32gb won't be enough for me music and apps. I'm also a music lover through me ear phones so hats why I'm thinking to go with the htc :(

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, It's made me decision harder. I keep swaying s6 cause I do like me pictures to Come out well, but I'm worried that 32gb won't be enough for me music and apps. I'm also a music lover through me ear phones so hats why I'm thinking to go with the htc :(
I got a 64 GB version so I would have room for my music. I'm a runner so I'm always using my phone to listen to music. I have way more than 64 gigs of music but I don't need all of it on my phone at once. I've got plenty. If you do go with the S6, get the 64 or even 128. I wanted a 128 but no stores had it and I didn't want to wait and order it online.

Ryan Wallace

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I have a 32 GB S6 and haven't had a problem with storage. I use Google Play music to store my 5700+ songs and Google Photos to hold all my pictures, plus I have asphalt 8 and a snes and gba emulator with several games. Still have over 15GB of space left. The S6 also has a wolfstein DAC and support for 24bit/192khz audio, so music sounds great through headphones.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084