Why won't OK Google work on my S6?

A

AC Question

Why won't OK Google work on my s6?

I have an s6 with 5.1.1 and Google Now launcher.

My Google Voice Search will not listen to me say OK Google, or even when I tap the microphone. I can try to turn on "from any screen" but it does not register my voice.
I have searched through many forums to find an answer and eventually caved and got a 3rd party "Tap for OK Google" app. When I use that google hears me just fine.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Google updates, disabling S Voice, Voice Wakeup, and Samsung Push Service, as well as turning off accessibility of several apps to try and fix it. After I disable Push Service, I can restart the device and get OK Google to work a max of 3 times before it stops.

It seems like everyone got it fixed but me!

amadison69

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Re: Why won't OK Google work on my s6?

I have. When I go to the "from any screen" option, I follow the prompts and it asks me to say OK Google 3 times. No matter how many times I say OK Google the device will not register it. I have also tried a factory reset to no avail.

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site

I have. When I go to the "from any screen" option, I follow the prompts and it asks me to say OK Google 3 times. No matter how many times I say OK Google the device will not register it. I have also tried a factory reset to no avail.

Have you rooted the phone or have a custom rom?

Posted via the Android Central App

amadison69

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site

No, I forgot to mention it is not rooted and if it matters, it is not a carrier brand phone. I bought it as an unlocked device.

amadison69

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site

I'm not entirely sure what it means to sideload the app, but I don't believe so?
I've never really connected my phone to my computer other than using the PushBullet App

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site

I'm not entirely sure what it means to sideload the app, but I don't believe so?
I've never really connected my phone to my computer other than using the PushBullet App

Like download the Google app fr some where other than Google play. I had the same issue when I did this once. Try updating the Google search app

amadison69

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site

I tried safe mode yesterday and same problem. With Push Service disabled it worked for 2-3 "OK Google's" upon booting, then stopped working.

amadison69

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site

Ahhh I don't think I got Google from anywhere else. I have uninstalled and reinstalled updates for Google app through play market.
Also I do not see an app for Google Search in the play market. Is that a seperate entity I should have?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Google App is the Google search app.

If it's not working in Safe Mode, then there's something wrong with either the firmware or hardware. Try using Samsung Smart Switch to reinstall the firmware.

amadison69

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site

I have Smart Switch, but I don't see reinstall firmware? Do I do it from my computer?
Sorry for being clueless.

amadison69

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site

If I do this, and have a backup on Smart Switch, will the backup restore the problem or will it just restore the problem back onto the device?

amadison69

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site

It worked perfectly!! I don't think I even need to worry about restoration because most things I lost were negligible. Thank you SO much for your help!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz