Transfer sms from S5 to S6 using smart switch, messages now dated 2036?

A

AC Question

transfer sms from s5 to s6 using smart switch, messages now dated 2036?

Hi,

I used samsung smart switch to transfer my data from S5 to S6, now a lot of my old sms are dated 5th February 2036 so any new messages that come in are above these old texts.
Very annoying having to scroll through to find the new message.
Any one got a fix for this problem.

Thanks

Rdantd

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi AC Question, this happened to me too today using Samsung SmartSwitch to restore data from a broken S5 to a new S5 - such a pain!
Majority of text messages are dated 5 Feb 2036. Have already tried toggling automatic date and time on and off, rebooting, changing the phone's date, clearing Messaging cache. None worked. :confused:

Is there anyone that knows how to solve this please?

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: transfer sms from s5 to s6 using smart switch, messages now dated 2036?

Try a third party app from previous phone to back up and move over to your new phone.

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: transfer sms from s5 to s6 using smart switch, messages now dated 2036?

Also make sure you report this to Samsung so they are aware of the issue and how often it happens since it seems multiple people are having this issue.

lilpenguinlost

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
I have the exact same problem!
I have a Galaxy S4, which I decided to upgrade from android 4.4.2 to the latest 5.0.1
I did a backup via Smart Switch, then performed the update, then restored the backup.

ALL of my sms threads show a date of 5th February 2036! New sms messages appear at the very bottom - so I got to wait till 6th Feb 2036 till my messages appear at the top?

I just contacted Samsung support regarding this issue which included a screenshot of my sms listing. I will update this thread if they reply to my message.

Rdantd

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Bad new I'm afraid folks: Samsung tech support (very fast and helpful) have said that it's a known bug with the Smart Switch on any Galaxy that isn't a S6. There's no fix either yet.

Good news is that 3rd party SMS apps seem to work fine and fix the issue. Google Messenger is working for me, others might too.

Colm O Brien

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Hey can you tell me what you mean by using 3rd party apps to solve the issue. I was onto customer support and they said that I would have to delete my messages to resolve it. I've informed them, I'll be making a complaint about this issue and the lack of help I received.

Rdantd

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Yes, download and open Google Messenger from the app store (3rd party app). Set it as default (the app will prompt you to do this). This is all I did and the SMS dates were corrected in Messenger for all texts. The default Galaxy SMS app still shows the dates as 2036 but I consider the problem fixed by just using Google Messenger. Hope that helps.

Rdantd

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Hey can you tell me what you mean by using 3rd party apps to solve the issue. I was onto customer support and they said that I would have to delete my messages to resolve it. I've informed them, I'll be making a complaint about this issue and the lack of help I received.

Yes, download and open Google Messenger from the app store (3rd party app). Set it as default (the app will prompt you to do this). This is all I did and the SMS dates were corrected in Messenger for all texts. The default Galaxy SMS app still shows the dates as 2036 but I consider the problem fixed by just using Google Messenger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax