Galaxy S6 Verizon Users: Best Texting App?

chase3rd

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I just upgraded to the Galaxy S6 yesterday..one of the primary reasons I did so was because I was having so many issues with texting, especially in group texts (I had the S5). I'm really hoping the S6 will be better. I was surprised to see that the google messaging app wasn't even on my phone when I first took it out of the box...all I had was the verizon messaging+ app. I decided to give it a try and it actually seems fairly decent. After doing a bit of research, I've narrowed down my texting app decision to these three apps:

1). Google Messaging. I used this app on my S5. I like how it is visually, but I just had so many issues with the group texting in this app, I'm hesitant to give it another try. Unless it is better on the S6/Jelly bean than it was on the S5?

2) Verizon Messaging+. Visually, I was able to customize it to how I like. A major plus here is that it supports WiFi texting. This is why I'm leaning towards this app. It also has a tab for all the pictures/videos you've received. Seems to have everything I want, but the question remains...does it work well with group texts??

3) Textra. Everyone raves about this app, but right off the bat, I don't really like how it looks visually. The dark themes are too dark and non-dark themes are way too bright...it's just bright white. I prefer an off-white or light grey background color. You can customize the texting bubbles, but I don't see a way to customize the background colors. Visually, this app just doesnt seem like it works well with my tastes.

Are there any other thoughts anyone can add here? Has anyone had experience with the verizon messaging+ app, specifically with group texting? Are there any other features or functions I should be considering? Any additional enlightenment would be appreciated!

sofryj

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I personally use Hangouts. It's not perfect, but is a good all around app. I initially started using it so I could do video calling with my wife and her iPhone. Plus, I've pretty much assimilated to the Google, so there's that.

Seth_Overbury

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I've been using Google Messenger for several months with no issues. I'm not sure what problems you had specifically, but maybe they are fixed on the S6 because I've not experienced any.

Although your post got me playing around with the Verizon app and it does seem pretty decent. I might try it for awhile...

I used Textra on my S4 but never downloaded on this phone for whatever reason.

chase3rd

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
The problems I was having with group texting was mainly that I wouldn't receive group texts from random people at random times. It wouldnt matter if they were an android user or an iphone user. It wouldnt matter if I was on wireless or not.

I also didnt like that for group texts, it would first hit the individual's text message thread as an MMS, then the phone would auto download and move it over to the group text. It was a very laggy process and it would choke up my whole phone. It would take about 3 seconds to receive the MMS, download, then move it to the group text thread. It got pretty annoying if I was in an active group text. I think the problem was that for whatever reason it wouldnt download those MMS's sometimes, then they would just disappear from my phone. This was a significant issue for me because probably about a third or a quarter of my texts are group texts.

So far Verizon Messages+ seems to be handling those group texts much better. It's only been a day, so I'm not holding my breathe, but so far so good.

chase3rd

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
The one downside I've found to the Verizon Messages+ app is that the emoticons look stupid :(. I prefer the regular google messenger app emoticons. Oh well...

hoofbeats95

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm wondering what the best app is as well. I'm on sprint. . . I used Textra on my S4. And honestly I liked that I could change the icon color based on who sent the message. The stock app on my phone now has one icon. . .and it's too similar to my yahoo mail icon. I haven't downloaded Textra yet cause I wasn't sure if that's the way I wanted to go.

sahaller

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
The one downside I've found to the Verizon Messages+ app is that the emoticons look stupid :(. I prefer the regular google messenger app emoticons. Oh well...

Agreed. They look stupid and don't resize to match the size of the message font.

I usually alternate between Messages+ and Textra. I like that Messages+ works over wifi and allows me to text and call from almost all of my devices, not just my S6, but the UI, including the pop up alerts, is clunky and ugly compared to what's in Textra.

crawfpm

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I tried about 10 different apps. Settled on Next SMS. Allows sending via return, custom colors, notifications and icons per contact, quick font size changes (for when I am without my reading glasses), etc. Only downside is I can't turn off notifications when I am in an active chat session with a contact (that is a nice to have feature).

delle928

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I just upgraded to the Galaxy S6 yesterday..one of the primary reasons I did so was because I was having so many issues with texting, especially in group texts (I had the S5). I'm really hoping the S6 will be better. I was surprised to see that the google messaging app wasn't even on my phone when I first took it out of the box...all I had was the verizon messaging+ app. I decided to give it a try and it actually seems fairly decent. After doing a bit of research, I've narrowed down my texting app decision to these three apps:

1). Google Messaging. I used this app on my S5. I like how it is visually, but I just had so many issues with the group texting in this app, I'm hesitant to give it another try. Unless it is better on the S6/Jelly bean than it was on the S5?

2) Verizon Messaging+. Visually, I was able to customize it to how I like. A major plus here is that it supports WiFi texting. This is why I'm leaning towards this app. It also has a tab for all the pictures/videos you've received. Seems to have everything I want, but the question remains...does it work well with group texts??

3) Textra. Everyone raves about this app, but right off the bat, I don't really like how it looks visually. The dark themes are too dark and non-dark themes are way too bright...it's just bright white. I prefer an off-white or light grey background color. You can customize the texting bubbles, but I don't see a way to customize the background colors. Visually, this app just doesnt seem like it works well with my tastes.

Are there any other thoughts anyone can add here? Has anyone had experience with the verizon messaging+ app, specifically with group texting? Are there any other features or functions I should be considering? Any additional enlightenment would be appreciated!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac