S6 bootloop question

jsb91010

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys, I have a tmobile s6 that is roughly 6 months old. The other night it was working fine, then when I woke up it was frozen on the tmobile screen, and then kept re-booting and getting stuck on the black boot screen that shows "samsung s6 powered by android". It stays on this screen for a little while then reboots and then gets stuck again. Tmobile has already said they will give me a new phone, but there is some valuable pictures and video on there I'd like to recover. I am able to get to the Odin downloader page. Also, sometimes I can access the android recovery screen. I've already cleared cache partition did not work. I tried plugging the phone into the computer but it will not install the MTP drivers correctly and cannot be read by the computer. Earlier, I let the phone die, then plugged it in and it actually stayed off this time and charged up a little. When I turned it on, it booted all the way up like normal, then about 5 minutes later it just shutdown and re-entered the boot loop before I was able to get it connected to a PC. Any advice guys to get my data first, then once I get that, I am guessing I can just do a factory wipe from the recovery screen. There is an option that says "update from ADB, apply update from external storage, or apply update from cache (I tried the cache option but says it's depleted, probably because I cleared it). Any ideas would be great. Thanks!

jsb91010

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
If I were to do that, I thought from my readings that it would delete the pictures, videos, etc. off of the phone? And, does the phone need to be able to hookup to a computer to flash the stock firmware? My computer doesn't show the phone as a drive to browse. Thanks for the info

Travo79

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes, flashing the stock firmware would completely wipe your phone, just like a factory reset would. You may have to resign yourself to losing anything you didn't back up. I would give you the run down on flashing with ODIN, but you can find several step by step instructions using Google. Just be sure you are flashing the correct firmware for your model and carrier. Your PC and ODIN should see your phone after you have loaded all of the correct drivers.

I hope you can find another way to fix this problem, but it seems like flashing may be the only action left.

Edit: I should also mention that unless you can power up and unlock your phone I doubt you will be able to recover any data outside of taking it to a professional recovery service.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

jsb91010

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I tried flashing it with ODIN with the newest firmware available that just came out the other day. It said success from within ODIN, no errors or anything, but the phone is still stuck in boot loop.

Travo79

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry that didn't clear it up for you, I know the feeling. One of my friend's Verizon S6 did the same thing and after showing them what was going on got a free replacement. It was a refurbished unit, but looked and acted brand new. It might be time to head to your TMo store and see if they can do anything for you.

My friend isn't much for messing around with computer stuff, so I never had him try using ODIN. I guess it wouldn't have worked anyway!

Verizon couldn't tell him what went wrong with his phone, just that "that's not right."

Posted via the Android Central App

jsb91010

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, I already went to tmobile and yeah all they want to do is send me a referbished phone and me send back the current phone. My main priority is to get these pictures off because they cannot be replaced. In fact they already sent me the new phone, but I need these pictures!! I am trying next to get back into recovery mode and try clearing cache partition again, but it's darn near impossible to get into recovery mode, I've only been able to get in to it like 3 times. Guess because the phone just keeps restarting, it's hard to get in because the phone should be off when you try it. I've tried every possible timing combinatin to get it to recognize the buttons I'm pressing but it's almost impossible

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital