1. bbjack3's Avatar
    Yesterday, a small amount of water hit my phone/screen. Honestly, it didn't seem like enough that could get in and do damage. But I didn't realize it, so it sat there for a little bit before I saw it and wiped it down. Worse things have happen to my phone and it wasn't harmed, but this is the only reason I can think for it to be acting this way.

    Anyway, I plug it into my charger and it starts going wonky. Kept disconnecting and connecting to the charger (even though it was staying plugged in), then it said it was conencted to the dock, (don't have one), then it enabled some power sharing mode which I have no idea how. Just got all wacky. then it started disabling things because the battery was overheating.

    I blew into the open ports with a small lawn blower and let it sit. It's still not acting right today. If I turn the phone back on, it will eventually start to over heat again. I noticed my backlight capacitive buttons keep lighting up as if the screen in being touched. If I open an app, the app opens then goes away as if the back button is being touched. So I can't exactly open anything!

    Any help is appreciated it. It's been sitting in rice as well.

    Thanks!
    11-17-2015 03:27 PM
  2. SpookDroid's Avatar
    First things first: DO NOT POWER ON YOUR PHONE OR CONNECT IT TO THE CHARGER AGAIN. OK, done?

    Good. If it's overheating and acting up, it's very possible there's a short circuit somewhere, and if you keep it powered, the risk of damaging something else increases.

    Now for some 'good' news. From the behavior you describe, I'd say the problem is the USB port, which should be relatively easy/cheap to replace. If water was the issue, I'm sure the water damage indicator inside the phone is tripped by now, which means warranty will be void, but you can try that route if you want.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-17-2015 05:16 PM
  3. bbjack3's Avatar
    Thanks for the response!

    Yeah I shouldn't have tried charging it and turning it back on. The phone was off for half of a day, then I tried to put it on the charger (while it was still off) and I still got a overheating icon and it wouldn't charge. Got a quote for $100 to replace the usb port. Sprint wants a $200 deductible for a replacement, plus $66 backpay because apparently my insurance was removed when my phone was upgraded earlier this year. Touch choice, I'm hoping the usb port replacement would do it.

    I plugged my phone in today (it's been off for a couple days) and it charged. Been on for a while now, used it a bit and no overheating messages. Right now, the only issue is the capacitive buttons keep lighting up without being touch, which backs me out of any app I open. It happens randomly, so I'm lucky to place a phone call, or send a text or whatever. I never know when it's going to back me out of the app!

    The local phone repair guy says that the capacitive buttons are linked to the usb port replacement part, so it should probably fix it. What do y'all think?

    Cheers!
    11-19-2015 12:28 PM
  4. SpookDroid's Avatar
    Still think it's the USB port... BUT if it's not overheating, it might be a false contact due to humidity. Have you tried the 'rice bowl' trick yet? (put your phone in a bowl of new, dry rice and leave it there for a day)

    Also, 100 bucks for replacing the USB port seems steep! Although the last time I had to replace one was for the S3 and it was done through the carrier's service center, it wasn't over 50 bucks (it was actually 15 bucks three years ago).
    Steven Buckle likes this.
    11-19-2015 12:39 PM
  5. bbjack3's Avatar
    Still think it's the USB port... BUT if it's not overheating, it might be a false contact due to humidity. Have you tried the 'rice bowl' trick yet? (put your phone in a bowl of new, dry rice and leave it there for a day)

    Also, 100 bucks for replacing the USB port seems steep! Although the last time I had to replace one was for the S3 and it was done through the carrier's service center, it wasn't over 50 bucks (it was actually 15 bucks three years ago).
    Yeah I left it in rice for about 24 hours, plugged it in, overheating message (though it was as cool as cool gets). I gave up at that point. Didn't try again until today and that's when I realized it's not giving the false overheating reading anymore.

    He said it's 100 bucks because it's a pain to get into the s6 (non-removable back). I researched youtube videos on how to get into it, I started to try, but it's a lot harder to get that back off than it looked in videos. I stopped because I didn't want to ruin the backing or anything. I couldn't get a shim between the frame and the back. Too tight. No heat gun either, just a blow dryer to lossen the sides, but didn't seem to work too well.

    Hate to spend 100 bucks, but it's better than $200. I just hope this will fix it! If it doesn't, then I will have made a poor choice!
    11-19-2015 03:01 PM
  6. AlphaTango414's Avatar
    I don't think it was a false over heating warning you were getting. It probably was over heating.

    Replace it yourself and keep that money in your pocket.

    First start off by buying the proper tools. They aren't expensive.

    Then order your Dock Charging Port. Just find the one for your S6 variant. (G920 not G925)

    Watch some videos, take your time, be patience, and don't get frustrated while making the repair.

    Just look at it this way, you can spend $100 to have it replaced, it might make work and have to pay almost $300 to have it replaced under insurance on top of that $100 repair.

    -OR-

    You can spend $30 and hope it works if not, that's $70 less out of your pocket.
    11-19-2015 04:10 PM

Similar Threads

  1. Is there a way I can record my own audio for up to an hour?
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-20-2015, 11:01 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-20-2015, 10:53 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-20-2015, 10:49 AM
  4. How do I delete multiple yahoo accounts off my GS6?
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-17-2015, 04:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD