How can I get my S6 to sleep?

sseagull

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
My S6 will not sleep

Last night, my phone developed a strange problem - it will not stay asleep (screen off). If I let the screen timeout, or tap the power button, the screen will turn off for about 1/2 a second, and then come right back on. The lock screen will not engage when the screen times out. This developed suddenly overnight, with no app updates or system updates happening (that I'm aware of). Everything else works fine, but battery life is, well, less than good.

The phone is about 6 months old, on Verizon, and runs 5.1.1. It has always been in an otterbox with a screen protector, and is in great condition. No water damage. Never rooted. Not many user-installed apps. The problem persists after factory resets (and before re-installing my apps) and without the case or screen protector. Airplane mode has no effect on the problem.

Has anyone run into this before? Anything else to try? Could this be a (hardware) defect?

PS. I see one other post here with a similar problem, with the solution being to boot into safe mode. However, I can't seem to do that for some reason.

MaxKittens

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: My S6 will not sleep

Try going into settings, then into display and wallpaper, screen timeout, and select the option you prefer. Then restart. If this doesnt work try uninstalling unneded apps or apps that are causing errors. If the problem persists you might want to backup your phone, factory reset it and restore it from the backup. You will have to download all the apps again but your important information will be saved such as contacts, phone logs, and text messages.

sseagull

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: My S6 will not sleep

I think I buried my details in my post a bit. I did try a few things, such as factory reset and removing the case, but without success.

The problem isn't that the phone won't timeout and go to sleep. The problem is that it wakes up again almost immediately. If I don't touch anything, it just loops between screen on and off.