Galaxy S6 Battery Life Thread

anon(9099462)

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: S6 battery draining after 5.1.1 update

Mine has been about the same as before the update. I am convinced that if you took 100 identical phones of the same carrier, wiped them and loaded any identical update, they would all behave identically - same battery drain, etc. Variables that change that and cause issues are apps that are loaded, settings, and usage (including location and signal). So we get folks on the forums complaining about battery life while others with the same phone, carrier, and Android version have no issues. Sure, a phone can have a hardware issue, but more likely it's apps/settings/usage.

Yeah any identical update sure, but you have to remember that each carrier makes changes to the OS in there own way, while keeping what Google releases in the update or OS intact they may remove other options that manufacturers add, for example my Sprint phone doesn't that Smart Manager app that the Galaxy S6 should have come with, it also doesn't have the Download Booster option either. So technically not all phones are the same from carrier to carrier. It may be the same within the same carrier but it could be different from the S6 on another carrier that's why I mentioned that it could either be a carrier specific issue or the phone itself and not the 5.1.1 update. Apps and settings definitely have a lot to do with it as well.

Scarrr

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site

disabled so many apps i don't use...whatever app had option of disabling i did ..now lets see what the battery does...i searched and i found so many people complaining about the battery draining issue after this update...maybe you are right it depends on the carrier as well....i don't want to take it back that's why i am bothering you guys a lot ...i am really grateful to all of you for your help....

Scarrr

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site

Mine has been about the same as before the update. I am convinced that if you took 100 identical phones of the same carrier, wiped them and loaded any identical update, they would all behave identically - same battery drain, etc. Variables that change that and cause issues are apps that are loaded, settings, and usage (including location and signal). So we get folks on the forums complaining about battery life while others with the same phone, carrier, and Android version have no issues. Sure, a phone can have a hardware issue, but more likely it's apps/settings/usage.

i noticed the change the same day i updated my device...maybe carrier do have effects on OS ...in that case there is nothing much we can do except to minimize the damage by disabling apps not in use.

anon(9099462)

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site

disabled so many apps i don't use...whatever app had option of disabling i did ..now lets see what the battery does...i searched and i found so many people complaining about the battery draining issue after this update...maybe you are right it depends on the carrier as well....i don't want to take it back that's why i am bothering you guys a lot ...i am really grateful to all of you for your help....

Is not bother bro, we are here to help each other. I will say that sometimes it takes a little bit more digging to find the solution to the ever lasting battery problems and that so many factors could determine what is causing it and that for some reason even though so many people have the same phone, we don't have the same exact experience with it. And hopefully with our help you can enjoy your device and not have to return it.

FuzzyB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

I got my s6 at launch and the battery had always been terrific... Until this update. I've tried everything also. Still searching for answers myself.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

1. Sergio asked "what shows up as been the app or service or action that is using most of your battery?". You didn't answer that. It's important.

2. Start in Safe Mode:

Turn the phone off.

Press and hold two buttons, Volume Down and Power.

Once screen lights up, you can release power button.

Hold the volume down button until you get the lock screen.

Now none of your installed apps are running. If it fixes the problem, one or more of your installed apps (those you installed) aren't compatible with 5.1.1.

If not, it could be a bad update. Bring the phone to the carrier and see if they can reflash the update. If not, if you're in the US, see the Samsung rep in any Best Buy store. If you're in the UK, find a Carfone Warehouse store with a Samsung rep.

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site

I'm telling you, a reset will fix this issue. Just back up your contacts and pictures. Then do the reset. Then enjoy the battery life you once had.

Went through the same thing, this is with Verizon if that matters. After update, battery was draining like crazy. Something was keeping my phone awake. Uninstalled a few apps but problem persist. Downloaded some app that's suppose to kill idle apps. Nothing was showing up. A quick reset and its all good. I haven't installed every app. I don't know if I will. Wasn't that big on apps. Just download what I will use or need. Otherwise, my phone is clean.

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site

I'm telling you, a reset will fix this issue. Just back up your contacts and pictures. Then do the reset. Then enjoy the battery life you once had.

Went through the same thing, this is with Verizon if that matters. After update, battery was draining like crazy. Something was keeping my phone awake. Uninstalled a few apps but problem persist. Downloaded some app that's suppose to kill idle apps. Nothing was showing up. A quick reset and its all good. I haven't installed every app. I don't know if I will. Wasn't that big on apps. Just download what I will use or need. Otherwise, my phone is clean.

Yes, but for most of us that means days of lost time reinstalling stuff, getting it set back the way we want, and still risk losing data even if we think we've taken all the necessary steps to back it up. A serious fault of Android that they are apparently fixing in Marshmallow is backing up or syncing of app files to the cloud. That will make a FDR less of a pain, but for now it would be better to first attempt to resolve the issue. I've always been amazed at how flippantly folks advise FDR or "just reinstalling Windows" without considering the impacts. Yes, you are probably right that an FDR will fix it - but would be better to find the problem than resort to the nuclear option.

Scarrr

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site

1. Sergio asked "what shows up as been the app or service or action that is using most of your battery?". You didn't answer that. It's important.

2. Start in Safe Mode:

Turn the phone off.

Press and hold two buttons, Volume Down and Power.

Once screen lights up, you can release power button.

Hold the volume down button until you get the lock screen.

Now none of your installed apps are running. If it fixes the problem, one or more of your installed apps (those you installed) aren't compatible with 5.1.1.

If not, it could be a bad update. Bring the phone to the carrier and see if they can reflash the update. If not, if you're in the US, see the Samsung rep in any Best Buy store. If you're in the UK, find a Carfone Warehouse store with a Samsung rep.

did this...now device is running in safe mode and most of apps are not visible ....for a moment i was like oh what happened then i understood if i disable safe mode app will surface again...for now i am going to see what happens in safe mode.thankx

Scarrr

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site

Yes, but for most of us that means days of lost time reinstalling stuff, getting it set back the way we want, and still risk losing data even if we think we've taken all the necessary steps to back it up. A serious fault of Android that they are apparently fixing in Marshmallow is backing up or syncing of app files to the cloud. That will make a FDR less of a pain, but for now it would be better to first attempt to resolve the issue. I've always been amazed at how flippantly folks advise FDR or "just reinstalling Windows" without considering the impacts. Yes, you are probably right that an FDR will fix it - but would be better to find the problem than resort to the nuclear option.

its really getting to my nerve now today when i was using whatsapp only and i saw the battery gone from 98% to 83% within an hour...i was too irritated and thought to replace the device...then thought what would i replace it with ? and then thought maybe i should have it downgraded :( but that would void the warranty ...i curse the day of that upgrade up until then i was very happy with my device..
what if i do backup contacts and pictures and do a reset i am not sure that if the problem will be resolved or not...then what?

Scarrr

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site

how did you reset your device ?? and you sure battery issue happened after the update ?

Scarrr

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site

I got my s6 at launch and the battery had always been terrific... Until this update. I've tried everything also. Still searching for answers myself.

so was i damn happy with my device up until this update....do let me know if something helps ...so will i :)

Scarrr

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site

Is not bother bro, we are here to help each other. I will say that sometimes it takes a little bit more digging to find the solution to the ever lasting battery problems and that so many factors could determine what is causing it and that for some reason even though so many people have the same phone, we don't have the same exact experience with it. And hopefully with our help you can enjoy your device and not have to return it.

this digging is getting on my nerve today i even thought to get my device rooted ...well i am not going to do that i would never..maybe next update will fix this issue...but i wonder why is it affecting some devices and not all....then maybe again you are right the difference is of the carrier ...i should have searched for the reviews first :(

anon(9099462)

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site

this digging is getting on my nerve today i even thought to get my device rooted ...well i am not going to do that i would never..maybe next update will fix this issue...but i wonder why is it affecting some devices and not all....then maybe again you are right the difference is of the carrier ...i should have searched for the reviews first :(

Is the case with pretty much every phone. Some people have terrible experiences, others have bad experiences, some have a good experience that turns to bad after a while, then their are those that haven't had a single issue with the phone they currently have is just part of life, no phone manufacturer is perfect, and we all phones were to be perfect in every way then technology would have been pretty boring because their wouldn't be anything to improve upon. Thankfully for those times when bad things happen or something needs fixing there are things like this forum where you can find help. Searching for reviews is helpful but not always the best solution as most of the time you will experience a 50 to 50 balance of some people having bad luck with their phone and others having a great experience. The thing is we as consumers expect so much from our phones that we expect that they should not have any issues at all and sometimes that just isn't going to be the case.

I personally at first had to charge my S6 once if not twice during the day. After Android 5.1.1 and another update released by my carrier with more bug fixes I've been able to go through my day without charging my phone at all and that's listening to music over Bluetooth during my commute and at home. Twitter for a few hours in the morning, using whatsapp to talk with my friends and family. I don't get the screen time a lot of people get over 5 hours or more, but yet they don't mention whether they are rooted or not so I don't really go with the fact they haven't change anything on their phone. So don't give up on it yet. I'm sure their is something else we haven't done.

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site

Days of lost time? Everyone is different and have different priorities. Lol, for me, its just a phone. This individual has already spent days trying to figure out what's wrong. Could have been done already.

Its clear theres an app(s) that's not compatible. Can start deleting one by one and hopefully locate the correct one. Or start clean and install a few at a time and see what happens. If anything, this is probably a good way to declutter ones phone. I'm sure theres **** on there that doesn't get used.

All I'm doing is providing my experience with the same issue and the solution that worked for me. I haven't even installed any games on my phone since. Only a handful of apps. The most annoying part for me was disabling/uninstalling the "bloatware" that I knew I wouldnt be using. Like FB, Instagram, etc.

Last edited:

MikezDroid

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Re: My own Galaxy S6 Battery Test

Running Nova Launcher instead of touchwiz was a huge savings in power.

Sent from my Edge+

Scarrr

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site

Is the case with pretty much every phone. Some people have terrible experiences, others have bad experiences, some have a good experience that turns to bad after a while, then their are those that haven't had a single issue with the phone they currently have is just part of life, no phone manufacturer is perfect, and we all phones were to be perfect in every way then technology would have been pretty boring because their wouldn't be anything to improve upon. Thankfully for those times when bad things happen or something needs fixing there are things like this forum where you can find help. Searching for reviews is helpful but not always the best solution as most of the time you will experience a 50 to 50 balance of some people having bad luck with their phone and others having a great experience. The thing is we as consumers expect so much from our phones that we expect that they should not have any issues at all and sometimes that just isn't going to be the case.

I personally at first had to charge my S6 once if not twice during the day. After Android 5.1.1 and another update released by my carrier with more bug fixes I've been able to go through my day without charging my phone at all and that's listening to music over Bluetooth during my commute and at home. Twitter for a few hours in the morning, using whatsapp to talk with my friends and family. I don't get the screen time a lot of people get over 5 hours or more, but yet they don't mention whether they are rooted or not so I don't really go with the fact they haven't change anything on their phone. So don't give up on it yet. I'm sure their is something else we haven't done.

you are right and great these updates have worked out well for you .....we have exhausted almost all options except hard reset and rooting....what should we go with ??

anon(9099462)

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site

Well in that case you should definitely go for hard reset first.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Scarrr

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site

Days of lost time? Everyone is different and have different priorities. Lol, for me, its just a phone. This individual has already spent days trying to figure out what's wrong. Could have been done already.

Its clear theres an app(s) that's not compatible. Can start deleting one by one and hopefully locate the correct one. Or start clean and install a few at a time and see what happens. If anything, this is probably a good way to declutter ones phone. I'm sure theres **** on there that doesn't get used.

All I'm doing is providing my experience with the same issue and the solution that worked for me. I haven't even installed any games on my phone since. Only a handful of apps. The most annoying part for me was disabling/uninstalling the "bloatware" that I knew I wouldnt be using. Like FB, Instagram, etc.

I do use instagram, tumblr but not facebook i am tired of it....so far i have installed most of the apps ...tried it in safe mode didn't work...tried wipe cache partition didn't work...looks like i am getting out of options