Galaxy S6 Battery Life Thread

Ssnerdle

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Re: S6 battery draining after 5.1.1 update

its really getting to my nerve now today when i was using whatsapp only and i saw the battery gone from 98% to 83% within an hour...i was too irritated and thought to replace the device...then thought what would i replace it with ? and then thought maybe i should have it downgraded :( but that would void the warranty ...i curse the day of that upgrade up until then i was very happy with my device..
what if i do backup contacts and pictures and do a reset i am not sure that if the problem will be resolved or not...then what?

Ssnerdle

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site

On my s6 I have narrowed the battery drain problem to difference when running with five and not
When WiFi is on it drains fast and Cell service stands by is the culprit. But with WiFi off it'll run at leat a day.
Weird that it tries to find cell signal on WiFi and drains battery
I did try the clear cache and a factory reset

s6edge

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site

hey
i am in grave situation here my S6 battery is draining fast after updating to 5.1.1
i have tried to uninstall third party app,turned on power saving mode and all....but there is no progress it still keeps draining.
is there any solution to that ??
please someone help out...

bro i have the same issue pls tell me what did you do to solve this?

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site

bro i have the same issue pls tell me what did you do to solve this?

If you have not already, clear system cache. If that doesn't do it then it is likely a rogue app, perhaps one that doesn't like the upgrade. If you haven't already, you should load Gsam Battery monitor and see what that shows as the culprit. Sometimes it shows android itself, which really doesn't narrow it down since even a rogue app could be triggering the OS to run away.

s6edge

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site

bro thanks for replying

i did the clear cache through storage:clear cache ..
i use viber,whatsapp for now no other thrird party app is installed, im using du battery monitor i guess the problem is within andriod... :(

1dtbrown

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site

I am thinking I will wait to do the hard reset until after the 6.0 update. I would like to do this only once.

I too have noticed the battery not lasting as long.

What do you think.

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site

bro thanks for replying

i did the clear cache through storage:clear cache ..
i use viber,whatsapp for now no other thrird party app is installed, im using du battery monitor i guess the problem is within andriod... :(

I doubt the problem is with android as a vast majority of those running the same phone and android version are having no problem. It is likely one of these variables; an app you've loaded, changes your carrier has made to android or system apps, an android setting (such as GPS, etc), or signal issues. To figure out if an app is doing this, you need to remove a few at a time and see if the problem goes away. If it is a carrier change, look for those that have the same phone and carrier and see if you are all having the problem - not unheard of, but unlikely. As far as settings, this would take some trial and error - but start with running it in airplane mode - all radios off. Lastly - note if it varies depending on whether you are indoors (making GPS burn more power), what your signal level is, whether you have wifi on when not needed. Something is different with your phone, but probably not hardware or android.

s6edge

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site

the battery is draining even the phone is kept untouched.. :( , ill check with the airplane mode and see how that goes

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site

the battery is draining even the phone is kept untouched.. :( , ill check with the airplane mode and see how that goes

Hard resets are rarely needed and if they result in an improvement in the problem, it is still likely that the problem could have been resolved without a reset. Like a Windows re-install, an Android factory reset is recommended too offhandedly. Car engine misfiring? Just rebuild the engine! OK, not that drastic an impact but a factory reset will often take you days to get back the way you want it, and you run a high risk of not being able to recover data (pictures, documents, etc), and may well end up with the same issue again.

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site

i did a factory reset but it doesnt help idk wtf is going on.. :(

OK, so now you're down to a hardware problem, something your carrier did to the 5.1.1 release, where you are using it and therefore a signal issue, or your perception of what heavy drain means. Hardware is unlikely. What were the results of the airplane mode test? What carrier do you have? What do you mean by heavy drain - what percentage drop in an hour with no use? Gsam Battery monitor will tell you battery use per hour.

s6edge

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site

OK, so now you're down to a hardware problem, something your carrier did to the 5.1.1 release, where you are using it and therefore a signal issue, or your perception of what heavy drain means. Hardware is unlikely. What were the results of the airplane mode test? What carrier do you have? What do you mean bye heavy drain - what percentage drop in an hour with no use? Gsam Battery monitor will tell you battery use per hour.

ok ill install gsam monitor tell you in detail,and ill check with airplane mode.

im using dialog gsm,

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

I used to leave my battery off of the charger at 8 PM at night and by the next morning it might be about 96% charged. This morning it was 7%. I have not added any new apps since the 5.1.1 update. I guess my real question is why they don't have a way of turning all of the apps off in standby mode and only have the phone working for those that want that. I also use bluetooth to connect to my Panasonic Home Phone. I think that the amount of people who have had this problem is a lot larger than has been reported. I have had my S6 for over 5 months and no problem. Suddenly after an update, I am having battery problems. Is there an app that will allow you to turn things off when you shut down the screen? It is getting frustrating since I have had that happen for at least the past week.
Doze will do that.

s6edge

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site

ok ill install gsam monitor tell you in detail,and ill check with airplane mode.

im using dialog gsm,

ok bro i run the test with airplane mode it helps a bit,without airplane mode its drops to 2-3% an hour so is it the carrier which is causing it?

also i did cache wipe out : but didnt do the partion wipe out but just the apps wipeout,as im unable to do system wipeout ( hold+volume up+home) just gives the restart i dont see any andriod icon as i should,is there an alternative way to that?

s6edge

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site

OK, so now you're down to a hardware problem, something your carrier did to the 5.1.1 release, where you are using it and therefore a signal issue, or your perception of what heavy drain means. Hardware is unlikely. What were the results of the airplane mode test? What carrier do you have? What do you mean by heavy drain - what percentage drop in an hour with no use? Gsam Battery monitor will tell you battery use per hour.

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

Home+Vol Up+Power all together at the same time. Let go when you see the Galaxy S6 boot image apear. You will see a litter android on screen. After about 30-45 seconds the recovery menu will pop up.

Use Vol up and Vol down to navigate.
Use power to choose/confirm selection.

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site

ok bro i run the test with airplane mode it helps a bit,without airplane mode its drops to 2-3% an hour so is it the carrier which is causing it?

also i did cache wipe out : but didnt do the partion wipe out but just the apps wipeout,as im unable to do system wipeout ( hold+volume up+home) just gives the restart i dont see any andriod icon as i should,is there an alternative way to that?

What is your hourly percentage when not in airplane mode?