WiFi calls start tomorrow for Verizon S6

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Haven't seen any mention of this here yet. Or maybe I'm late to the party. Supposed to be an update tomorrow for our S6's. What everyone's been waiting for right? From Cnet earlier today

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I'll be happy to get that. At work I'll occasionally drop calls because the reception isn't that great in the basement. This should fix that problem for me

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I installed the update and noticed the signal defaulted to my home wifi right away. There was a popup option instructing me to enter my address so in an emergency like a 911 call I suppose they would know which wifi I was on and hence my location. Also said I should do this whenever I'm using some other wifi? Not doing that every time anyway. Haven't done this yet as it may be undoable once done and not sure if I want to or not. Will be going out shortly so I will see if my signal defaults back to 4G as I expect it will. I double checked my wifi settings to make sure scanning was still disabled, it was. I would think that is all I need do to keep my S6 from trying to connect with every wifi service nearby as I go about my day, and if I need to use this feature while out I can scan for a network. Doubtful I'd use it anytime other than home unless there was no Verizon service but there was wifi service. Like a remote hotel perhaps in the deep woods somewhere that actually has working wifi. A cool feature none the less tho and I did notice on a call it sounded crystal clear. Only made one so far so time will tell. I hope the handoff to 4G calling is seamless once we leave our wifi area.
How's everyone else doing?

stirling

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Just finished installing, and while I haven't checked any of the functionality out yet, let me just say, HOLY GOD the Samsung icons are **** ugly now.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Man, my battery's been dropping like a rock since I did the download. I sure hope this isn't the new normal. I always got good battery life previously

houtx1

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Man, my battery's been dropping like a rock since I did the download. I sure hope this isn't the new normal. I always got good battery life previously

You may be right, I don't charge my phone overnight, woke up this morning at 60%. The norm is 85-90%. Guess we'll see if this is the new norm (at least until 6.0).

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
You may be right, I don't charge my phone overnight, woke up this morning at 60%. The norm is 85-90%. Guess we'll see if this is the new norm (at least until 6.0).

Did you enable Wifi calling? If so, wonder if it would improve by disabling it or whether something else in the update is to blame. Mine also seemed to drain about an extra 10% overnight and I do have Wifi calling enabled.

player22

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
For those with battery problems check wifi always scanning. I had mine off but after update it turned it back on.
Just an idea.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown