WiFi calls start tomorrow for Verizon S6

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
This isn't true. The 4G symbol is used to indicate which data type your using. It has always gone to grayed out whenever a person is connected to wifi, even before wifi calling was activated. The grayed out 4G symbol does not indicate you are using wifi calling. The only way to tell is indicator next to the timer when you are on a call.
Disagree, my 4G symbol never grayed out previously. Would go to 3G at times , but otherwise is always lit except when I come home to my wifi then it goes gray. before this update and my wifi is on it(4G) would stay lit

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
When my call switches from cellular to WIFI there is a noticeable annoying lag both for me and the person on the other end. Is anybody else experiencing this? Any suggestions? I like this wifi calling concept but the way it works now makes it almost unusable as there is a period of time around 15 seconds where the call is interrupted.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
When my call switches from cellular to WIFI there is a noticeable annoying lag both for me and the person on the other end. Is anybody else experiencing this? Any suggestions? I like this wifi calling concept but the way it works now makes it almost unusable as there is a period of time around 15 seconds where the call is interrupted.
Thought I read somewhere others had this issue also. I tested mine by driving away from the house while listening to a recording on a call(my bank). Then did the same in reverse when coming back home and noticed no interruptions, stuttering or pauses, was a seamless transfer. Typically I wouldn't be on a call in this scenario anyway. I'd be either wifi or cellular until call was done.
You move between wifi/cellular enough for this to be an issue then? I'm thinking Verizon or the S6 has some issues regarding this since many are reporting problems. I read some one had deleted their "my verizon" app and it fixed their issue. Probably just a coincidence, but who knows? I don't use that app. Hopefully everybody gets their fix in another update. Wondering what Verizon CS has to say.

ambrodsky

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Same thing happens to me. I have crappy cell coverage in my house, so I was really excited for this feature. When I answer the phone, though, the person on the other end can't seem to hear me for up to 10 seconds and reports a loud obnoxious buzzing sound. Then they hear me and it's fine. I think it's the hand-off from cell to WiFi. I wish we could default to WiFi so it started there every time.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Sorry can't pinpoint where. I'm on lots of forums and tech sites android related. With the many issues cropping up relating to this wifi calling update it's hard to keep track where I hear what.
Does your problem happen on all wifi systems you use? If it were my problem I'd do a cache clean and then a factory reset if that didn't get it fixed. if the FR didn't work either I'd resign myself to toggling the wifi as needed which would not be for calling. For my usage I absolutely do not need this wifi calling feature anyway unless I'm at some remote hotel/wifi in some deep dark woods that has no cell signal. My phone was working fine before and if this F'd it up I'd not be using it. As it is I only use it at home anyway where I don't even need it. Hope you get it sorted out.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Same thing happens to me. I have crappy cell coverage in my house, so I was really excited for this feature. When I answer the phone, though, the person on the other end can't seem to hear me for up to 10 seconds and reports a loud obnoxious buzzing sound. Then they hear me and it's fine. I think it's the hand-off from cell to WiFi. I wish we could default to WiFi so it started there every time.
Maybe the fact your not defaulting to wifi is an indication of a problem. Others who have said they do default seem to have it working fine. When I first downloaded the update it defaulted to wifi and changes back and forth as I move thru my day. This is the way it should work. I was on wifi at home when I downloaded the update, maybe that caused it to default to it. When I'm out later I'll try a different wifi and see if it makes any different in quality or issues.

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
So how do you make it so that it defaults to WIFI? Is that an option? I did a workaround by going to airplane mode then turning my wifi on. So it only uses WIFI. But that is a pain. The handoff from cellular to Wifi should be seamless but it isn't. The cell coverage in my apartment is weak and I drop calls all the time so I was really looking forward to wifi calling. But with the delay in handing off from cellular to wifi I am finding it difficult to use.

ambrodsky

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
So how do you make it so that it defaults to WIFI? Is that an option? I did a workaround by going to airplane mode then turning my wifi on. So it only uses WIFI. But that is a pain. The handoff from cellular to Wifi should be seamless but it isn't. The cell coverage in my apartment is weak and I drop calls all the time so I was really looking forward to wifi calling. But with the delay in handing off from cellular to wifi I am finding it difficult to use.

Ditto to everything you said.

jharo

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

Whoa, same thing happens to me. I didn't clear cache before today. I'm hoping this will fix the problem.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm a little dense in the gray matter today, wasn't on top of the details. You get a call while your phone is connected to wifi and the cellular signal picks it up first then in the handoff to wifi is when the problem happens. Yeah, the fact your not defaulted to wifi to begin with is the issue. That's why I don't have the problem. My wifi is always on and the call goes right to it first. i'd consider doing a factory reset and test it before loading any apps. Still could be an app you all have in common messing things up.

ambrodsky

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm a little dense in the gray matter today, wasn't on top of the details. You get a call while your phone is connected to wifi and the cellular signal picks it up first then in the handoff to wifi is when the problem happens. Yeah, the fact your not defaulted to wifi to begin with is the issue. That's why I don't have the problem. My wifi is always on and the call goes right to it first. i'd consider doing a factory reset and test it before loading any apps. Still could be an app you all have in common messing things up.

Yes, it answers on cell , and switches a few seconds later...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This isn't true. The 4G symbol is used to indicate which data type your using. It has always gone to grayed out whenever a person is connected to wifi, even before wifi calling was activated. The grayed out 4G symbol does not indicate you are using wifi calling. The only way to tell is indicator next to the timer when you are on a call.

Disagree, my 4G symbol never grayed out previously. Would go to 3G at times , but otherwise is always lit except when I come home to my wifi then it goes gray. before this update and my wifi is on it(4G) would stay lit

It goes grey when on WiFi for those who do not have any sort of caller ID active. Usually if some sort of caller ID is active it will cause the 4G symbol to stay in the background (or well white looking).

Either way I wouldn't think this would mess with WiFi calling.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
It goes grey when on WiFi for those who do not have any sort of caller ID active. Usually if some sort of caller ID is active it will cause the 4G symbol to stay in the background (or well white looking).

Either way I wouldn't think this would mess with WiFi calling.
What sort of caller ID would I not have active? I'm visible to those I call and those that call me. Never heard of this, so naturally curious.

jharo

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Whoa, same thing happens to me. I didn't clear cache before today. I'm hoping this will fix the problem.

Quick update, after clearing cache and doing a restart, it seems to be auto switching to WiFi calling. It's seems to be using WiFi to makes calls over cell network.