Upgrade to S6?

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
So, can anyone give me two (or more) good reasons to upgrade from my S5? I'd be losing access to an SD card and a replaceable battery, but what would I get in return? Looks like a lovely device, and I get the upgrade bug like everyone else, but I am bothered by this trend away from phones you can open and upgrade battery/storage. On the fence about this, but trying to keep an open mind. Thanks.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Faster hardware/software, better camera, less bloatware, newer Samsung 'Gifts' (storage promos, Netflix promos, etc.), better screen, metal body, smaller/lighter frame. Oh, and the S6 is bound to be updated before the S5.

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Right. I'm on T-Mobile, who still hasn't rolled out Marshmallow to us yet. Not a biggie, but still. I have no complaints about bloatware (T-Mo is much leaner than AT&T was on my S4), screen res, or the camera on the S5. As for the metal body, my phones are always cased, so all that went into the sides and back disappears in a good case. Still, good to know the differences, though. The whole design seems a bit "See, we're just as quality as Apple" to me. I know Samsung has to stay competitive, but locking the user out of the device was a mistake, IMO. That one advantage was always what I liked about Android phones.

Last edited:

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
At this point why not wit for S7? I thought I read it would have an SD and a removable battery.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's a good point. And in any case, once the S7 is announced/comes out, the price of the S6 should go down (in case your upgrade didn't cover the full thing or something). Or maybe you can then get the Note 5.

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
At this point why not wit for S7? I thought I read it would have an SD and a removable battery.

That would be most excellent, IF it's not one of the new breed of phablets that seem to be the next step. I really like the screen size of the S5/6.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
That would be most excellent, IF it's not one of the new breed of phablets that seem to be the next step. I really like the screen size of the S5/6.

It's also rumoured that S7 will be same screen size as S6. Honestly I'd wait it out.

Posted via the Android Central App

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
It's also rumoured that S7 will be same screen size as S6. Honestly I'd wait it out.

Probably good advice, as previously mentioned that when the S7 does come out, the S6 will no longer be the flagship, thus cheaper. I really do hope Samsung has the good sense to keep the screen under 5.5" and no wider than it currently is. Ergonomically, both phones are perfect, IMO. I reckon most makers now realize that thinness is less an important factor, since users will certainly put the phone in some kind of case anyway.

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. Yeah, I reckon I'll wait til it comes out, let the initial demand die down, and put my S5 out to pasture. By then it should be almost paid off. Seems we are getting to the point where the next phone might be the last? What more can they pack into these things?

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I agree, there can't be much more they can put into these phones that hasn't already been done for excellent functionality. That's why my S6 is a keeper. I see no point in upgrading as the upgrade isn't enough of an upgrade to justify additional cost anyway. With contracts and subsidies also falling by the wayside it makes even more sense to get a good device and keep it as long as possible.

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Well, that's how I've felt about my S5 since I got it—plenty of hi-res screen, upgradeable external storage, quick processor, enough RAM and internal storage, replaceable battery. What's missing? Nothing. It's just not the latest and greatest. Truth is, it could serve me (even with "only" Lollipop) from here out. Still, there is something that moves me to upgrade. Technolust, I reckon. The first time I picked up the Gear S2 watch, I reached for my wallet. Dunno how I got out of the store without it, but I did.

soulsurvives

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I just got a 64 gig s6 from Verizon for 375...got my old phone sold for 175...I always buy phones 6-12 months after release so the bugs get worked out...will get the s7 during the Christmas season unless I end up needing the extra storage then I will get it sooner...very pleased with it so far...gonna order a wireless charger as soon as I can decide on one...

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Listen, the Galaxy S6 is an amazing phone. I bought mine for $399 (no tax on ebay) it was brand new never opened.

The galaxy S7 will be a lot more if you decide to go the unlocked route (1 major drawback I have is currently cannot use samsung pay)

If you do a 2 year plan I would wait. Just because no matter what it'll be under $200 so it's no big deal.

But the S6 is the iPhone 4 of Samsung. It brought an amazing camera. Easy to use and smooth as butter. The S7 will be the 4S equilivant. It'll probably be a "little" better (all my years having a phone I've never swapped out the battery or had multiple batteries and I still use my SD card via OTHER cable)

It all depends on really if you do 2 year contracts or not I think

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I've owned my S6 for almost 1 year now, and I don't see any reason to upgrade to the S7 based on the rumored specs. My S6 has been working great for me, and using a wireless charger at work keeps my phone fully charged through the day.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Losing your SD card will be something you'll sorely regret. Don't upgrade! Wait for the S7.

I thought the same when I switched from Note 4 to Note 5... and so far I haven't even thought about the SD card. Plenty of storage in cloud options (and obviously went for the 64GB instead of the 32 one) and OTG cable for those large files (read: Movies) but I've only used that a couple times while on a plane; everywhere else I just stream them.

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Losing your SD card will be something you'll sorely regret. Don't upgrade! Wait for the S7.

I think you are right, given that I have a 64GB microSDXC card in my S5 now. Waiting for the S7 so I can move the card over to it makes more sense then getting an S6 now and having yet another microSD card sitting around (I must have a half dozen by now). Yeah, I'll miss the replaceable battery, but I can live with that. As for not needing local storage in favor of the cloud? Meh. Streaming from the cloud holds no appeal for me at all. I want my music, photos, etc. on my phone, not on someone's server. Exception? If T-Mo, Verizon, etc. want to move me over to a 64B S6 with no out of pocket and keep my monthly bill where it is, I'd probably hop on that. Not likely, though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21