Galaxy S6 alarm sometimes makes no sound

Epos7

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
I have an AT&T Galaxy S6 Edge on 5.1.1.

A couple of weeks ago I slept through my alarm, at least that's what I thought had happened. When I woke up some time later, there was a notification that I had missed an alarm. It seemed strange, since I've never not been woken by the sound of an alarm before.

The alarm worked fine for the six months before that, and has been working fine for the last few weeks.

Today I was awake before my alarm went off. I then watched my phone screen light up with the alarm, but no sound. I turned off the alarm and waited for my backup alarm. Same thing - no sound.

I did not have Do Not Disturb mode turned on. I almost always keep my phone on silent, and the alarm has always worked. I'm using the default Samsung clock/alarm app.

If it's as simple as using a different alarm app, that's an easy fix, although it doesn't leave me with much faith in Samsung. My concern is that it's a system issue. Unfortunately since it seems to be a sporadic issue, testing the alarm isn't going to tell me definitively if I've been able to fix the issue. Unless I can identify exactly what is causing the problem, I'm going to have to buy a dedicated alarm clock because I can't risk missing an alarm again.

ET2E

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

Though I've never experienced this particular problem with the stock Samsung Clock/Alarm app, I have noticed a few things that might contribute to as to why nothing is sounding when your alarm goes off.

First off, make sure your sounds are all the way up. Not just you ringtone, but your system and notifications too, because I have found that just doing the ringtone doesn't make all of the other sound options go up with it. (I currently own an S5 Verizon G900V and I'm sure that the S5 and S6 have the same sound options.) What you want to do is either turn up your volume (Picture 1) and hit the gear button. That will then expand the menu to all of the sound options and not just ringtone volume. (Picture 2)

Another thing you can do to find all of the sound options is go into your settings. Once in there, search for sound and notifications and you should be able to adjust all of your volumes there.

If neither of the two above options work, try the Google Clock app. I tend to use it more, not because the Samsung one is bad, but because the Google clock is analog instead of digital like on the Samsung Clock. There is also a separate sound setting for alarms you can adjust once in there (Picture 3).

Hope this helps!

Posted with my S5 via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-01-09-18-42-19.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-01-09-18-42-19.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 21

ET2E

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
Well I guess picture two got cutoff:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-01-09-18-32-43.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-01-09-18-32-43.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 20

ET2E

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
And one:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-01-09-18-41-52.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-01-09-18-41-52.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 21

West93

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
I know you probably have already been told this but: try restarting your phone. I had the same problem and tried for hours to figure out why nothing would work to fix the sound. Finally I hit restart, not "shut off and wait 5 minutes before turning back on" and set an alarm to go off a few minutes from that time. It worked loud and clear. And annoying since my alarm tone is a siren.

Billy Bob-Jo

May 17, 2016
Visit site
OK so there is one of the two things that helped me, I'm. Or sure which for sure, but here I go:
1.go to Recent apps screen, and "close all"
2. Add volume and press a gear on the volume screen and slide up all the slides. (Someone said that already, and I was really doubtful of that, yet I tried it, but right before it I thought I should close all apps" than you can change all the volumes back to what you want.

Now my alarm works great, what I would do to prevent that from hapening, is I would close all the apps, test the alarm before I go to sleep, set the alarm up, also maybe would install Google alarm as well.
It looks like it's a bug in the galaxy system... I have Galaxy s6Active. Running 5.1.1
Thanks guys!

1A2B3C4D5E6789

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
I have an AT&T Galaxy S6 Edge on 5.1.1.

A couple of weeks ago I slept through my alarm, at least that's what I thought had happened. When I woke up some time later, there was a notification that I had missed an alarm. It seemed strange, since I've never not been woken by the sound of an alarm before.

The alarm worked fine for the six months before that, and has been working fine for the last few weeks.

Today I was awake before my alarm went off. I then watched my phone screen light up with the alarm, but no sound. I turned off the alarm and waited for my backup alarm. Same thing - no sound.

I did not have Do Not Disturb mode turned on. I almost always keep my phone on silent, and the alarm has always worked. I'm using the default Samsung clock/alarm app.

If it's as simple as using a different alarm app, that's an easy fix, although it doesn't leave me with much faith in Samsung. My concern is that it's a system issue. Unfortunately since it seems to be a sporadic issue, testing the alarm isn't going to tell me definitively if I've been able to fix the issue. Unless I can identify exactly what is causing the problem, I'm going to have to buy a dedicated alarm clock because I can't risk missing an alarm again.

To fix the alarm having no sound on the 6...... go to setting / sounds and notifications / do not disturb then turn it on and go down to Allow exceptons hit on and alarms and alarms should make sound

jackierr

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
I've been having this same problem since January when I got a replacement Galaxy S5 phone, after my original was accidentally crushed (which worked perfectly fine before that). I thought upgrading to the S7 last week would fix it but it did the same thing yesterday. About once a month or so my alarm goes off without a sound. All sounds and volumes have been checked and set properly, do not disturb setting is disabled (even tried enabling the alarms there but didn't help). Just randomly the alarm decides to make no noise.

I now have both phones on my nightstand set so hopefully at least one goes off! Has anyone found a solution? Do I just need to download an external app?

mynameisjohn

Dec 8, 2017
Visit site
Hi all!

This is my first post - I've only signed up because I was having this issue, and I think I've just sussed out what was happening. In case anyone's still having the same issue I was, I thought I'd share...

So, on my S6 my alarm was going off according to the display, but was making no sound. I went to the (standard) clock app, and clicked to set an alarm. This brought up the screen where I can choose the time etc, and noticed that underneath the time setting bit there was a slider switch that said "Alarm tone and volume" and it was set to "off". No idea why it was suddenly turned off - I've certainly not set it that way. When you turn it on, it lets you choose what sound you want, but also makes the sound work on the alarm.

As to why there should ever be a switch to turn the alarm sound off which is in an area totally separate to all the other sound controls is beyond me, but there you go.

Hope it helps someone!

John. :)

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Yes, you can have a bunch of different alarms, all with different tones and set ups. I have my gym a alarm set with dire straights but my night shift sleep alarm is just on vibrate....