Galaxy S6, 1 yr later

TheBf666

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
I have to say that after 1 year, my experience with the phone has been disappointing. At first, I liked the new design and the display, but the phone has gotten laggy over time and apps have to constantly restart when I app switch. Battery life has been crappy. Gaming performance on games such as modern combat 5 has been choppy. I don't know if I am ready for the galaxy S7 or go back to iphones, which have been consistent performers in terms of smoothness and speed. I seriously hope samsung fixes their many issues with the new S7...

Ryan Wallace

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
1. Hasn't been a year yet.
2. We don't know your setup or what you do with your phone so...
3. Only thing I've run into is the reloading apps (which really hasn't been an issue for me)
4. Have you done any factory resets or reflashed the firmware lately?

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Owned my since launch (April, not January) and love it. Sure it's got some minor flaws but overall the performance and experience has been exceptional for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

missy8787

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
I have an iPhone 6 Plus and it is my second replacement and I have constant problems with it so not sure if I agree on consistent performance lol. I can't wait in my opinion to see what Samsung has to bring with s7.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
My S6 has been nothing but a stellar performer. Battery after Verizon's wifi update improved considerably as well. I wonder how folks that have laggy slow experiences , poor battery etc, if they ever reboot, how often, clean cache once in awhile etc. Android is an awesome platform and is fun and interesting to use. Some simple knowledge of it would help the casual user. They usually just throw up their hands and got back to iPhone, the simple yet functional but extremely boring system for the masses. I've seen middle age women pull out their iPhones and I can't help but notice when they are inches from me that their screens are still in the default out of the box mode set by apple. Jeeez, lady you got the perfect phone.

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
well my 9 months with this phone the only problem I had was with Samsung customer service.

I bought a Verizon branded S6 from them being told it will work with tmobile which it did no problem... my phone started getting the purple dots on camera problem (guess when? wayyyyy after the 14 day return policy) and samsung gave me such a hard time with fixing it and what not that when they finally fized it (2 months 3 weeks later) I sold it immediately and bought a factory unlocked one.

But besides that... I have 0 complaints about my phone.

I hit this yesterday which might not be much but it's a new record for me. I have a fever so I couldn't get out of bed much so I played my my phone the whole day

On a normal 10 - 12 hour day I get 3:30 to 4:30 screen on time.

I download hardware/graphic intensive games all the time to test my phone and never ran anything that's been considered choppy. and with a Bluetooth controller connected.

The app reloading issue will be fixed in 6.0 update (people who test the beta say it is a little better so far)

the only apps I've ever had restart on me where apps that either got a bug in a update (example Instagram) but I would just install an old version and fix the problem.

I have never experienced a slowdown besides 1 time. After changing my theme to a downloaded 1 my phone dropped to about 13 fps and when I went to the theme it said please reset after installing once I reseted everything was buttery smooth again

TheBf666

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
When I go to google playstore, it was really laggy and choppy. It wasn't this bad in the past. Gaming performance has also been laggy. Maybe it is due to the slow mali gpu, I don't know. All I know is that this phone is not very consistent. It was great at first, but gets slow over time. I never need to clear my cache or reboot on my older iphones to get it to be smooth. This is something samsung needs to address(Maybe all android phone makers?) as well as the other issues like RAM management. I will see what the S7 brings to the table. I do change phones every year, so I hope S7 will be a beast.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I've had no issues with my S6 which I've had since launch day. Runs great, and I don't see a reason for me to upgrade to the newer S7 when it comes out.

lisa76

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I had my s6 since day after launch day and it perfect. Battery life is great. I won't be upgrading my phone till next year

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
When I go to google playstore, it was really laggy and choppy. It wasn't this bad in the past. Gaming performance has also been laggy. Maybe it is due to the slow mali gpu, I don't know. All I know is that this phone is not very consistent. It was great at first, but gets slow over time. I never need to clear my cache or reboot on my older iphones to get it to be smooth. This is something samsung needs to address(Maybe all android phone makers?) as well as the other issues like RAM management. I will see what the S7 brings to the table. I do change phones every year, so I hope S7 will be a beast.

This isn't an iPhone...cache required to be cleared, android standard. S7 will be the same.

Wai Kong Pang

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Me bought the phone since day 1 when it launch in my country (April) so far my phone is still very smooth and Snappy. Just sometimes (rarely) I will feel that the phone becomes slow for a while. But it's not a big issue to me.

My wife also have an S6 Edge on the same day with me. So far I notice her phone will become slow more often then mine. I am guessing it's the way we use the phone, maybe? She had install many apps and games and have a lot of unclear notification (always) but I'm not sure whether that will slowdown the phone or not.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy S6

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Every phone can be a disappointment or a joy to the user depending on expectations, usage, stupidity, and luck. If you expect perfection of anything (phone, spouse, car, job, etc) you will be disappointed. If your usage is unusual or extreme, or if the apps you choose have issues, you will be disappointed. If you are stupid, don't use a case, and drop it, if you are not careful and drop it in water, and you don't pay for the insurance, you will be disappointed. Lastly if you don't understand or accept that hardware failures do happen and you have the bad luck of experiencing it, then you will be disappointed. These phones are computers and as such will take some tinkering to get the best experience.

anon(9681881)

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
Six months and I am still in love. I am going to upgrade to the S7 asap just for the better camera. No problems with the S6 and it runs smooth as a baby's ****.

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I was just reading that Samsung is coming out with an annual upgrade program like Apple has. If you are under contract, you can upgrade every year, presumably for some non-pittance. Even though I like new toys, not sure I want the ordeal of upgrading every year - the time it takes to get files moved, apps installed, things configured, etc.

Shon123

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
My only issue with this phone is the stupid bipolar battery life!! My phone is on At&t's network, I wonder if those experiencing good battery life are on different carriers.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
My only issue with this phone is the stupid bipolar battery life!! My phone is on At&t's network, I wonder if those experiencing good battery life are on different carriers.
Since WiFi calling on Verizon was enabled my battery life is really good. 5 hours SOT is pretty average. Cell standby, my biggest battery draw was reduced to 2% from around 35%. Made the difference for my S6. Maybe marshmallow will improve it even further.

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

Thanks to At&t firmware for the bipolar battery life. First week of the ungodly late 5.1.1 update was awesome. Since then it's been mediocre and like you mentioned, biscuits polar from day to day.