Again: Doze vs. App Optimization

Johnny Abatti

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Hello all, sorry if this is covered elsewhere, I didn't find it. I'm still confused about the battery saving approach used on Samsung devices under MM. With Lollipop Samsung introduced their own "app optimization" feature. Background activities of apps are stopped after a certain amount of time (cutomizable to a certain degree), which is rather smart in my view. Now with MM Google introduced "Doze" following a completely different approach. Apps are stopped if the phone doesn't move. From what I've heard Google insists on using Doze in every MM device. Now that the S6's have MM, the battery saving settings still look and feel like the "old" app optimization from Samsung. Is Doze running on top of that? Wouldn't this even make no sense? Did Samsung convince Google to allow Doze beeing excluded on their devices? Just curious...;-) Thanks.

Nerf72

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
App optimisation freezes selected apps depending on the time you set (auto/off/on)

Doze zombifies apps regardless once the phone is still.
(Note freeze/=zombies)
I think they work well together. App optimisation works great for apps used normally, whilst doze works well on letting the phone sleep.

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
App optimisation freezes selected apps depending on the time you set (auto/off/on)

Doze zombifies apps regardless once the phone is still.
(Note freeze/=zombies)
I think they work well together. App optimisation works great for apps used normally, whilst doze works well on letting the phone sleep.

Agree. They compliment each other. Since I flashed the UK marshmallow rom on my s6, standby time has increased appreciably. As the phone is not used much at home due no cellular signal from MTN doze is on most of the time. I have seen 3 days and a couple of hours as opposed to 2 days max on lollipop.

walmsleyc

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Both Doze and the Samsung Optimization have "Settings" interfaces to be able to whitelist apps (exclude them from Doze or Samsung Optimization). I don't yet have MM on a Samsung device. Do you guys know if the Samsung version of MM include BOTH of these UIs in the "Settings"?

Chris

djm1947

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes you can exercise some control over apps. Go to system>battery and the click the more button on the top right. Then click on optimize apps. There you can select which apps you wish to not be optimized. This works for me.

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The "doze" app from the playstore has settings giving you some control over its performance. Doze as part of the marshmallow OS does its own thing. You cannot control it. You can defear it's purpose by activating the screen every few mintues. Doze as part of the system has specific parameters that has to be met before it activates.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers