battery drain on school wifi but nowhere else

emad1995

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
When I'm in my university connected to their wifi my battery drains like crazy and I'm not sure why. I have confirmed that it's the wifi because when I switch it off for three day my battery drain reduces drastically.

When I'm at home or friends houses the wifi drains normally but when I connect to the school network it goes off the chain. Is there a solution for this? I don't have a lot of data in my plan so I have to rely heavily on wifi.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 362.jpg
    362.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 26

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The weaker the wifi signal (this also applies to the mobile signal), the more battery is used. It's assumed that if the received signal is weak, the transmitted signal is going to be received poorly (because most paths are symmetrical), so the transmitter power in the phone is increased.

SophiaPetrillo

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
Only connect to the WiFi when you need it, opposed to keeping it connected continuously. Do you download large files or stream for long periods of time (more so than at home or a friend's house)? Try testing the battery drainage with other devices, just to reaffirm that the WiFi is the direct cause.

emad1995

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
The weaker the wifi signal (this also applies to the mobile signal), the more battery is used. It's assumed that if the received signal is weak, the transmitted signal is going to be received poorly (because most paths are symmetrical), so the transmitter power in the phone is increased.

I normally have full bars of wifi at school

emad1995

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Only connect to the WiFi when you need it, opposed to keeping it connected continuously. Do you download large files or stream for long periods of time (more so than at home or a friend's house)? Try testing the battery drainage with other devices, just to reaffirm that the WiFi is the direct cause.

It's a huge hassle to keep toggling wifi because there's a chance I might forget to turn it on and then start downloading a huge file. This has happened to me before that's why I'm hesitant. Also, the keep wifi on during sleep is set to only while charging but the issue with that is that it takes too long for the phone to go into sleep. I was writing a 3 hour final today so my phone was in my pocket not being used for 3 hours, it drained from 67% to 40%.

As for other devices I have a galaxy tab s2 which drains faster when connected to the school wifi as well but that's not as big as a problem for me as is my phone because tab s2 lasts a long time regardless of the drain