I cannot select any of the default (pre-installed) sounds for notifications or Alarm, etc. When I go to Settings | Sounds and Vibration | Notification Sound |, Default notification sound, it displays a directory of /storage/emulated/0/Download/openvpn which has files which I downloaded, but none are related to sounds. By clicking the back arrow, I can only get as far as the 0 directory.

Using ES File Explorer, I can get to where the files exist, under /system/media/auto/ringtones/ and see files there like A_Rustling_in_the_Trees.ogg or Morning_Flower.ogg .

This may have been caused by something I did when I connected a USB cable to my PC and downloaded files, but I have no idea what/when or how to undo it.

How can I coerce settings to allow me to navigate to the valid directory?

Thanks,
    JimR
    04-20-2016 03:28 PM
    I cannot select any of the default (pre-installed) sounds for notifications or Alarm, etc. When I go to Settings | Sounds and Vibration | Notification Sound |, Default notification sound, it displays a directory of /storage/emulated/0/Download/openvpn which has files which I downloaded, but none are related to sounds. By clicking the back arrow, I can only get as far as the 0 directory.

Using ES File Explorer, I can get to where the files exist, under /system/media/auto/ringtones/ and see files there like A_Rustling_in_the_Trees.ogg or Morning_Flower.ogg .

This may have been caused by something I did when I connected a USB cable to my PC and downloaded files, but I have no idea what/when or how to undo it.

How can I coerce settings to allow me to navigate to the valid directory?

Thanks,
    JimR
    I'm not sure why this is happening. Have you tried downloading a third-party ringtone/sound app that allows you to assign ringtones? That usually gives you more flexibility with assigning a ringtone and navigating to the directory of your choosing.
    04-20-2016 05:05 PM
    That's a workaround, not a fix. Does anybody know how to actually fix this problem?
    04-21-2016 10:39 AM
    I would suggest a backup then a factory reset. Time consuming but a possibility
    04-21-2016 03:17 PM