How to turn off notification sound for Location

jewelly

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
In the past two weeks If I have my location turned on I regularly hear this clunking sound/tone. It is happening every time the phone searches for location. It is not even a sound that I see in the notification sounds list. I have to keep location off or be driven insane.

jewelly

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Finally figured it out. Transparent weather clock app. Every time It found new location it made the obnoxious sound. I unchecked sound on new location. My phone still searches for location too often IMHO but at least it's quiet now.

grizzwaldt

Apr 15, 2018
Visit site
Both my wife and I have HTC10 phones on Verizon that just recently updated to Android 8 (Oreo). After the update, but wife's phone kept showing the "Location found" notification and playing the default notification sound. It was incredibly annoying because it did this every few minutes or less. Well I performed several different Google searches to find an answer and all of the posts that I found never actually provided a solid answer on how to fix the problem. Well, I'm creating this post to help others because I finally solved the problem!

On my HTC10, this is what I did to fix the problem: Go to Settings -> Sound & notification -> Advanced -> Notifications (at the very bottom).

Then click on the three dots at the top right of your screen to the right of the search icon. Choose "Show system".

Scroll down the list and find "System UI" and select it.

Choose "VZW" in the list and once you get into the VZW notification category for System UI, click on "Importance" and change it to "Medium: No sound". This will turn off the notification sound that plays when your phone is finding location.

You can also turn off the notification icon that shows up at the top of your screen by turning off the "Allow icon badge". I actually just left this turned on and now when an app requests a location update, I see the icon pop up at the top of my screen, but I don't hear that annoying sound.

I hope this helps all of the other people on the numerous other posts I found about this topic that never received a solid answer on how to solve the problem.

JohnGram

Apr 22, 2018
Visit site
I also created an account to say Thank You for what appears to be a brilliant drill down to find the problem. I tried for a good length of time and was not successful. Would be curious to know how you found this less than intuitive solution. I hate when an update creates this type of new problem.
Again ... thanks so much

high_t1de

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Thank you so much! My HTC 10 automatically updates to Oreo the other day. Usually I get a heads up, then research the changes, what to expect, etc. before updating. Well, I didn't have a choice. The update screwed up all of my notification settings. I got them fixed, but the sound when my phone finds my location was new and driving me crazy. This is the first Google search I've done to figure out how to stop it, bc I've tried everything. I'm glad someone figured it out. I'm still having one more issue, but I'll create a new post for it. Thanks again. Nice work!

knsegal

May 28, 2018
Visit site
This got me close, but for did not work on My HTC 10. Maybe it is provider related, mine is Verizon based (software update 3.18.605.13 9.0_g CL1016573 release-keys). I never saw 'three dots at the top right' per

On my HTC10, this is what I did to fix the problem: Go to Settings -> Sound & notification -> Advanced -> Notifications (at the very bottom).

Then click on the three dots at the top right of your screen to the right of the search icon. Choose "Show system".

If that does not work for you, I went through the Apps path to make the change......Here is the step by step of what worked for me on my HTC10:

Go to settings -> Apps ->

Then click on the three dots at the top right of the screen next to the search icon and choose 'show system'

Scroll down to 'System IU' and select it

Tap on 'App Notifications'

Scoll down and tap directly on 'VZN' letters (that is key here).

Tap 'importance' , then select 'Medium/no Sound'

Thanks to grizzwaldt for getting me close. Hope this might help others turning off that pesky sound if the grizzwaldt approach does not work for you.

Osugirl2008

Jun 18, 2018
Visit site
Thank you soooooo much!! This has been driving me insane for about a month...finally noticed the location was coming up when it made the noise and found your post. The best help ever!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084