Galaxy S6 Android update

A

AC Question

I've recently got an S6 and within a week I had the update to the latest android. Unfortunately the phone had to be factory reset using Smart Switch and this has put me back on android 5.1.1. Is there anyway I can force the update through again or is it just a case of waiting?

It's been over 2 weeks now and it's affecting me reinstalling some apps as I keep getting 'error code 505'. Also the thumb print sensor has gone terrible since and only recognises about 10% of attempts now, whereas before it worked perfectly - not sure if this is android related though?

Thanks in advance!

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi, try and perform a factory reset again through the settings menu - once the phone powers up it'll look for new updates, hopefully this should push through MM for you.

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes, factory reset your device. I'm amazed you had went from 6.0 back to 5.1 with Smart Switch. Normally a major update will update the bootloader making it impossible to down grade Android versions.

rdza82

May 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for your replies, I've just tried the factory reset but unfortunately it's still at 5.1.

A bit more info if it helps? - the reason I had to do the original reset via Smart switch was due to me having an issue with stuttering sound on the S6. I looked online and a potential solution seemed to be to wipe the system cache. When I tried to do this I accidentally pressed home, power & volume down instead of volume up, which put me into the "downloading do not turn off target". The only way I could resolve this was to download smart switch and use it to do a reset.

As you can probably tell I'm not the best with technology! Will I get another update to 6 or is there anything else I can do? It seems the fact I've previously installed apps using 6 is stopping me from now reinstalling them with 5.1 and its driving me insane!

Thanks again!

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Are you sure the initial update you received was Marshmallow and not an incremental security update to 5.1.1? A factory reset will not revert your phone back to previous Android version. This means that the update you initially received wasn't Android 6 to begin with.

rdza82

May 4, 2016
Visit site
100% sure. I checked after the update and it was 6.0.1 and it's now 5.1.1.

The battery ran out when it was stuck at "downloading do not turn off target". When I turned it back on the Odin bit had gone and it was a different message, can't remember exactly what but it was something like "download interrupted". This is when I used smart switch to do the factory reset.

rdza82

May 4, 2016
Visit site
No, never done anything like that. Wouldn't know where to begin to be honest!

I'm hoping I'll just get another update but I'm worried that I've missed out because I've already had one

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Smart Switch should also let you manually install the most up-to-date firmware--connect to your phone using Smart Switch and look for that option.

I'm moving this to the S6 forum.

rdza82

May 4, 2016
Visit site
Smart Switch should also let you manually install the most up-to-date firmware--connect to your phone using Smart Switch and look for that option.

I'm moving this to the S6 forum.

I've updated with smart switch twice now and it still puts me on 5.1.1

When I connect my phone it doesn't show 'update available' next to my model no. as it does when you Google how to update using Smart Switch.

Am i likely to get another update or is it worth me installing a custom rom?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It used to be that you could sometimes prompt the system into updating by manually setting the date to some time in the past (like 2014), but I'm not sure if that works any more.

myandroidgs6

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
100% sure. I checked after the update and it was 6.0.1 and it's now 5.1.1.

The battery ran out when it was stuck at "downloading do not turn off target". When I turned it back on the Odin bit had gone and it was a different message, can't remember exactly what but it was something like "download interrupted". This is when I used smart switch to do the factory reset.

Ha ... It's weird ... My came back to 6.0 Mash.M .. after factory reset "Through device ..?

Yeah .. do a factory reset from your device again .. !